The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I need to switch jobs?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
I think I know the answer to this. However, getting your opinions will help me make a decision.

Couple of years ago I took a job with a friend in his family’s company. Long hours, I work in the office from 7am -5pm. The pay is decent, above average. The problem is the job drains my mental energy. I have never worked at a place like it, from the time I get in to the time I go it is nonstop. Some days I come home completely drained. This job is effecting my ability to work on my own business.

I have been thinking about changing jobs. I could take a pay cut and work a new 9-5 job. Less hours would mean I could work on my business for a few hours in the morning before I go to my day job and before my baby daughter wakes up. The new job would not be as tiring leaving me more productive in the evenings at home.

The other Idea I had was to freelance. It would require short-term diversion from my business while I focused on a skill and winning jobs. Once that had a steady income I could leave my day job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Have you talked to the current job about less time / more pay / etc.?
You never know unless you ask....

jazz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 23, 2016
USA
This is just my personal anecdote. You can see that I joined the forum about a year ago. I was in a job that was draining me. I dreaded going into work everyday.

I recently changed jobs into a different industry making less money. It's way less stress and I have more time for myself. Yeah, my finances are a little weaker, but now, I'm no longer on the road to being burned out. It's all about making the journey work for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pmaloneus

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 3, 2017
US
What about taking some of the money you would be giving up and using that to outsource the work that you would normally have to do. This might not be possible in all cases, but thought i'd mention it.

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
Thanks for your replies guys.

The first thing I am doing is changing my schedule. At the moment it’s not working. I am getting home from work not getting enough done.

The new schedule looks like this

4.00am Wake
4.15am Buisness
6.15am Get ready for day Job
7.00am Day Job
5.30pm Time with Daughter & Wife
7.30pm Dinner With Wife
8.00pm Business / Time with Wife / Gym
9/10 pm Sleep

With the new schedule I will be able to get a couple of hour’s uninterrupted work done in the morning while having 100% mental capacity. Then I can do so some in the evening.

My main objective is still to free up more time to work on a Fastlane business.

I didn’t mention that I already have an FBA business that turns a small profit.

My options are

Get a new job
Free lance
Focus more on FBA business

I’m leaning towards the FBA. I have being doing this for 18 months but haven’t done that well but learnt a lot. However I just launched a new product that is doing well. I believe I can now replicate what I did onto other products.

The aim would be to quit my job after I have turned over 3 consistent months of desired profit. I understand this can be risky. To achieve this quicker I am going to have to source products by air. Currently I only do sea freight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.