The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I need to file for an EIN? What else do I need to do?

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
Me and my friend started up a partnership recently and are just getting it off the ground. We filed for the partnership at the local county clerk but didn't do anything else regarding registering and taxes and all that.

We will be re registering as we have changed our name and we need to know of we need to file for any other things such as an EIN or any other forms? We do not have employees and we are just a 2 man online company.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser2

take a little time, read up on basics of corporations, partnerships and local tax laws.

maybe pay 100 bucks to an atty for some advice, (business atty)

or ask your local S.C.O.R.E guys (look it up)

take a few days and get some quick business lessons from some locals.

including taxes. maybe chat with a cpa for a lunch

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
I'm not a tax guy nor lawyer so as zen******* says: talk to a cpa/lawyer. It's your best bet.

That said, some generic info: if you want to work through the corporation "as a corporation" then you should get an EIN/TIN. That will also help separate you from the business legally a bit more. If you want the company to have a bank account and other fun things like that, get the EIN/TIN.

For other situations: ask the lawyer/cpa.

Personal, not legal, recommendation: got with an LLC (or series LLC). Seems like you don't need anything except some entity to work through.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Google your question and put IRS in the search.

Make sure you are on the IRS website when you research your question.

What I have found is if you do not have any employees the IRS prefers you use your social security number rather than an EIN.

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
okay thanks guys, im just not sure what i need to do to be legally recognized as a business other than just a DBA form and how we deal with taxes and all that so i think once we get closer to actually getting our product out for sale I will sit down and have a few talks with some attorneys and cpa's and so.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Ok if you are going to do business and hang a shingle in the state you are living in the best bet is to get an LLC in that state. If all your business is online I suggest getting an LLC in new Mexico. they have the most lenient LLC regulations.

After that file for an EIN with the IRS Using an SS-4. Go to IRS.gov and search SS-4 online and youwill get the link for your tax ID Number. Then you get a bank account with that and your good to go.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Ok if you are going to do business and hang a shingle in the state you are living in the best bet is to get an LLC in that state. If all your business is online I suggest getting an LLC in new Mexico. they have the most lenient LLC regulations.

After that file for an EIN with the IRS Using an SS-4. Go to IRS.gov and search SS-4 online and youwill get the link for your tax ID Number. Then you get a bank account with that and your good to go.

How do you get an LLC in a state where you don't live?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Google the "state" LLC. Find the cheapest rate and off you go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.