The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Discussion Regarding "Improving" Products

Bulgano

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 12, 2017
Australia
Hey all,
Just wanted to start a quick discussion regarding "improving products".
I recall seeing a thread where @biophase discussed kitchen knives and said instead of just changing the handle, improve the blade.

My question is, is this a viable option for new entrepreneurs? I can see this being possible and an excellent way to make "new" products if you already have some money to work with and some solid contacts (With suppliers and such), as you can hire other people to do it for you (assembling the knives and packaging them).

I also wish to question the logic behind it. In the knife example given above, why buy a knife from a supplier and then improve the blade yourself? Does this not just pose the question; Why are you not buying from a supplier that already has a better blade?

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick here by being so young, as well as new to this type of stuff.

I guess the overall question I pose is;
When improving a product, is it viable for new entrepreneurs to do? If it is, does this consist of ordering the parts to your door and doing assembly and packaging yourself? Or is it wise to save and invest it a warehouse and employees?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Patrick R

Shwizzle Shwazzle
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Sep 11, 2016
Maine
I also wish to question the logic behind it. In the knife example given above, why buy a knife from a supplier and then improve the blade yourself? Does this not just pose the question; Why are you not buying from a supplier that already has a better blade?

I think you missed what he was trying to say a bit here. Sometimes you can order a product from a supplier, when it arrives make some changes to improve it and then sell it, but that is not the only way. In the example you used above with the knife you could pick a supplier that you like and then request that instead of 1084 steel they use a stainless steel or even Damascus blend. This may increase the cost slightly per blade, but it will increase the quality and allow you to sell it higher. Then you aren't physically improving the item yourself but you have made improvements that your supplier can make.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States

Generally, a good supplier can do whatever you want them to do.

When improving a product, is it viable for new entrepreneurs to do?

Yes, but depending on the significance of the changes, and the type of product, it may require a larger minimum order with a larger upfront investment.

If it is, does this consist of ordering the parts to your door and doing assembly and packaging yourself?

Depends on the product. In the majority of cases, I would think that you would just want the factory to ship you the assembled goods.

Or is it wise to save and invest it a warehouse and employees?
Only when the volume of product you're moving justifies it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.