The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dip Them Toes In...

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
So just about one year ago, I began writing short stories and publishing them on Amazon. I outsourced most of the stories, spent more than I earned initially, and then moved on to other ideas. I now have a business that's done a little over $10k since it began a few months ago, so the "process" is gaining momentum. But that's a different story. The reason I write this is because I have continually made at least $100 in passive income each month from those short stories I wrote this time last year. Enough to have broken a profit and certainly a nice dividend to see in my monthly statements.

I have begun to entertain the notion of writing some short stories again, as a side endeavor. Mostly for the fun of it, but also to see if I can bring that $100 to $200 each month. So to achieve that, I have a few questions, because if I do in fact take up writing again I'm going to do a few things differently. I'm hoping the many successes in here can point me in the right direction.

1. Can anybody recommend an editor? I don't doubt my ability to write, but last go around I didn't bother using an editor. I can do the covers in Photoshop, I can craft a story, but I need more than my own set of eyes to progress further. Any insights? Anyone in these forums an editor/proof-reader?

2. The new way Amazon pays out with the KULL (is that right?), the unlimited library, or whatever it is called... Does that provide incentive to write shorter stories more frequently considering you can now get paid for whenever a person merely reads a percentage rather than outright buying the book?

3. Anything else I should be aware of when it comes to writing? I recall extensively using Jami Gold's spreadsheets from her site. Anyone have wonderful insights as to great websites they use or formulas they have found to work?

Cheers, and happy holidays!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
2. The new way Amazon pays out with the KULL (is that right?), the unlimited library, or whatever it is called... Does that provide incentive to write shorter stories more frequently considering you can now get paid for whenever a person merely reads a percentage rather than outright buying the book?

It certainly does. The payout for KU/KOLL varies monthly, like it did when it was just KOLL, but for shorts it's very beneficial. Also the percentage is a staggering 10%. So depending on how short your story is, that's between 2-10 pages.

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
I tried Amazon self-publishing a few months ago with a guide for a video game that I'm really familiar with. So far I've gotten 0 sales. Did you advertise these stories at all or people just found them? I've been meaning to make a quick website or something but haven't really had the time and I'm wondering if it would be beneficial at all.

Also what do you mean by outsourcing the writing? How did you go about doing this?

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
I tried Amazon self-publishing a few months ago with a guide for a video game that I'm really familiar with. So far I've gotten 0 sales. Did you advertise these stories at all or people just found them? I've been meaning to make a quick website or something but haven't really had the time and I'm wondering if it would be beneficial at all.

Also what do you mean by outsourcing the writing? How did you go about doing this?

1. I always immediately put new books out for the 5 days of promotional use. I have not yet advertised any books.
2. For my non-fiction books, a few people left reviews randomly, and that I believe has helped my cause.
3. For fiction, the name I use the most has a website to go with it. And I link all my short stories and fiction stuff there.
4. I outsourced through oDesk. Screen for writers and pay them to write my stories.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
Hey ctc! Welcome back!

If a 10k biz is doing you good, are you sure you want to go back to dollars and cents of ku payouts?

Editor problem. I've progressed enough in this to realize that this is a business problem. If you can't write yourself then how can you judge the level of freelancers?

So, in this regard, you might be flying blind. But, you can always develop writing skills to at least proficiency level. The goal is not to be a pro writer, but have proficiency of the craft.

No way around it I'm afraid. Part of the "process"

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
Hey @Selfy ! The business is doing well, but it's gross not, monthly net. So now I'm about at 12k almost, but this isn't monthly. In other words, not enough to quit my slow lane job. However, I consider reading and writing a hobby of mine, as well as a creative outlet, and making money off of creative outlets is always great.

I can definitely hold my own with writing. This time around anything I publish will be my own stuff, not outsourced freelancers. I'm seeing that with erotica the reader typically is more forgiving as opposed to romance and other genres, so I figure if my books are great to read without being awash in grammatical errors, it's one more thing I've got going for me.

I just wanted to throw out a feeler or two about using an editor. From what I've seen, anyone with a great romance novel usually has an editor or some other set of eyes to look it over.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.