• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Introduction Desire but no direction

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by azsno, Sep 18, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. azsno

azsno Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $325
    I have always had a a desire to be wealthy (who hasn't), but like most, no direction or even an idea how to get there other than the slowlane. At this point, I'm 100 pages in, and have said yep that's me page after page of slowlane description. I'm about $250k in debt (student loans, cars, etc.), have a MBA, a wasted year of law school, and an even more worthless BS in political science, and unfortunately all I see at this moment is taking a corporate slave job if I wan't more than I currently make.

When I made $12/hour that wasn't enough to justify my time, but then I made $24/hour, and that still wasn't enough. I currently make $30/hour, and I still feel my time is worth more. I hope to change this as I progress and learn!

2. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $62,634
  3. Van Halen

Van Halen Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $576
    Keep reading, you haven't even got to the good stuff yet.

Nigel B, ZF Lee, Kingmaker and 3 others like this.
  4. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $345
    Welcome to the forum. Here's the thing: entrepreneurship isn't for everybody.

However, if you want to do it, keep grinding until you can't. There are a bunch of ideas on this forum (peruse them to open up your mind).

Also, start taking action. Make notes of pain points you could solve in your life.

I have to believe that the "no direction" problem is a result of little to no action, because as a river in nature, once an entrepreneur starts moving, it has to go somewhere. It may not be "the" direction, but it'll be "a" direction and ultimately will lead to "the" direction.

Remember, ditch the event mindset ("I haven't found my thing yet!") and embrace the process mindset ("Let me do these things today that get me closer to a thing").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AndrewNC

AndrewNC Limitless Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $59,684
    Where specifically is "there"?

Before finding direction, it usuallyyyy helps to set the destination. It's different for each of us and you have to be specific.

6. marfling

marfling New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $63
    Definitely keep reading and you'll learn that taking a job isn't the end of the world for someone in your position. In fact in can be the start of your Unscripted journey.

7. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    Exactly! I have many ideas and desires, but fear seems to be the main obstacle. Did I mention I am a factory trained Harley Davidson Tech as well, with dreams of opening my own shop, but the fear of failure have stifled many of these.

Carol Jones and cmor16 like this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $225,790
    Admin Post
    Holy crap. Now that's what I call a deep
    You realize that this is just another trade for time? Instead of an employer paying you $25/hour, a customer will pay you $35/hour.

Unless you can't get away from that trade, nothing in your financial situation will really change quickly.

Welcome to the forum.

9. RogueInnovation

RogueInnovation Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,554
    I agree with mj
    I make about 60 -200 an hour from my clients, no way any employer pays me that, but I need it because of the sheer work I do
    It isn't a point of conflict with clients because we ALWAYS achieve the goal we set out to achieve beforehand
    If you can DELIVER the goods
    No one will make a fuss unless they are cheap and want to rummage through bargain bins for stuff that isn't there

Start out by doing some independent work that you schedule to get completed on the weekends

ZF Lee and azsno like this.
  10. Alexo

Alexo Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $177
    This sucks but work with what you have, you can't change what you have done before but you can change what you do now - focus on that! I would just work, read and get smarter every day and grind it out, you will eventually get out of debt and be on the plus side.

I am currently working at a slow lane job and trying to develop/build a product to sell. It's hard, it means long hours, but i also find it fun and well worth it. What would life be like if everything was easy?

ZF Lee and azsno like this.
  11. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $4,238
    Welcome!

There was a great thread from a longtime member who was in a ton of debt, but I can't find it for OP. All I remember is the dude's avatar is an easter bunny. Reps to anyone that can find and link it.

ZF Lee, jpanarra and Alexo like this.
  12. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $20,219
    GOLD - Bought a huge house with a 3 car garage and a pool!

Now give me my reps!

lol

Longinus, MJ DeMarco, cmor16 and 12 others like this.
  13. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    Makes total sense, and mimics the franchise model referenced in your book. (Although obvious, a light bulb just went off!) I'll keep reading....

14. Tina70k

Tina70k New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $41
    I have no idea what the market value of a Harley Davidson Tech is, but I assume there are a lot of biker heads out there that would pay for your skills. Do you know enough to be able to teach someone else about it, and therefore have apprentices working for you? In the UK the government pay and subsidies businesses to take on young people as apprentices, maybe the US does something similar. Also does are the HD tech skills transferable to other motorcycle brands? A franchise could be a good model if opening a shop is what you want to do. Although as @MJ DeMarco says you wouldn't want to trade your time for money so would want to spend time working on the business (training people, building systems), rather than in the business.

jon2089 and azsno like this.
  15. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    In the US, unless you own the shop you don't make anything. I received this training and worked at a dealership when custom bikes were all the rage, and West Coast Choppers sold $250k motorcycles. This boat is long gone, so I have put this skills on the back burner, only using them to help friends and fix my own bikes.

I currently work as a nurse, and can generally make my own schedule, where I usually take summers off as my wife is a teacher, and we travel, but that will need to be put on hold so that I can get a handle on this debt.

I am considering multifamily real estate as a project, but my wife is stuck in the midset of owning her own home first...she is stuck on the sidewalk.

sparechange and ZF Lee like this.
  16. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    At his point I'm 150 pages in and have received a revelation far beyond anything I have realized in the past 20 years. I currently have a blog that isn't gaining any traction, nor is it maintained for that matter, related to business. I may have a MBA, a drive, and desire for business, but I honestly have no practical experience, or anything to offer other than spreadsheets I create, or tips learned along the way. However, I do have a decade of experience related to travel and contract nursing in just about every setting. I'm on track to become a nursing home administrator for my slow-lane, which will double my current salary, but like MJ has said time and time again, this is still a slow-lane trade off. With that being said, I plan on switching my blog to a format I'm more familiar with, and taking my 3300 Twitter followers with me (This number dropped from over 5000 when I stopped the follow for follow nonsense, and abandoned the political BS for my own sanity). Thought?

17. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $62,634
    If you can score the job and NOT raise your standard of living, you'll be driving faster.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    ZF Lee, azsno and BrooklynHustle like this.
  18. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    Thanks for the feedback! I hope to do just that! I know many say this, but can't or refuse to resist the urge when extra cash starts rolling in!

19. jon.a

Rep Bank:
    $62,634
    Find @V8Bill and read his free book.

BrooklynHustle, azsno and V8Bill like this.
  20. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    Just reached the "Fuck It" part of Unscripted...I'm deep, but I hope to eventually crawl out of the hole. The majority of my debt, unfortunately, is from Student Loans! ($176K) But hey its not the end of the world, just the end of my paid education seeking sidewalk mentality world.

21. Process

Process Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $128
    Eeesh 176k! You can climb out of it. You just need one tiny shift. Let me explain...

Anyhow, it is not clear you are one hundred percent all in. When you hit your FTE, there is no more hopefully. Rationalizing and excuses become unacceptable. If it is a true FTE, it will be like putting the maximum distance between you and Uncle Yoseph's gulag camp.

For example, my FTE was realizing no one in the world cared...

I was soaking wet - elbows deep in filthy dishwater washing dishes day after day - yet I was still asked to take out the garbage in the middle of a hail storm - by the some 17 yr. old manager who was busy groping some ratfaced pizza guy in the back office.

The cycle HAD to change or I'd go completely berserk. There was no more time for h3h3 videos, toking with burnout "friends", or browsing memes on reddit. Every action and every lesson became about getting any positive results as directly as possible. The problems in front of me became all that is.

It is easy to commit to once you see everything through the purified lens of: towards FTE or away from FTE. I don't know why, but only action that is executed with everything you've works. The world will steadily open up. The way people are taught to live is basically throwing good after bad. Once you realize that, the sacrifice is not very big. And thus the cycle begins to reverse...

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Hope this helps.

PS: Check out the Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping subforum to change your life now.

22. sparechange

sparechange Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $662
    Use your knowledge if the motorcycle industry and maybe try to sell some products, perhaps even start your own brand, helmets , jackets boots gloves pants tyres oils whatever. I know in the racing industry people blow through tyres like nothing, something people do is sell off scrub tyres after a race and give them to noobs that can't ride and are better off with broken in tyres, you could possibly try flipping those? Dno throwing random ideas out here. Look into doing private garage work for motorcycle customers,? Won't make you a millionaire but I'm sure you won't complain with a few hundred bucks a month extra. I myself need a mechanic to work on my bike as I have the knowledge of a 2 year old. Would rather pay a private mechanic half the price than get ripped off at the frigging dealer

azsno likes this.
  23. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 Money Never Sleeps Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,241
    #slowlane

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  24. sparechange

sparechange Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $662
    Also I spent a bunch of money to a pro racer to prep my bike for track days . $500 for some fake body to remove street plastics

azsno likes this.
  25. azsno

Rep Bank:
    $325
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually considering flipping bikes. I'm in the process of researching this area as I have lived in Phoenix for the last decade, and its a completely different market! There were summers where I couldn't find work and paid bills buying and selling used auto parts. Hopefully I can do the same in NC, but this area seems stuck on the sidewalk. There are two types of people in this area, either work in tech or health care, and drive a new BMW, or poor as could be...but have a brand new cell phone.

The tire idea is great, something I never thought of! Thanks!

sparechange likes this.