The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Death Of Startups?

el_hombre123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 4, 2016

el_hombre123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 4, 2016
Did I read it wrong or was that guy just making stupid excuses

nah man stupid excuses maybe? I just find it way to common, as I start entering the "real world", and reading many many articles about how impossible it is and you need a miracle. I haven't had success, but I am sure it isn't a miracle that saves you right?

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Did I read it wrong or was that guy just making stupid excuses
You read it wrong

I think this guy is quite correct in some of the things he is saying

That is all

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daytraderz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 11, 2016
Virginia
Yeah, this guy is just simply talking about start-up in tech companies trying to compete with with well established corporations, such as google in his example. This article doesn't refer to starting up in general, just into a specific industry, which i'm sure is going to be hard. But if you're an entrepreneur you are aware that life is going to be hard when you start anything up, it gets easier with time, and some things would be more challenging (like starting up a tech company to compete with alphabet who is the parent to google in comparison to starting up a local organic coffee shop)

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
His tone sounded like someone who doesn't have enough passion for what they were doing.

Well to be fair, from what I've seen from observing, as well as from what experienced tech startup entrepreneurs have said, it takes more than passion to do a tech startup. You have to use something that's bothering you, some sort of negativity, and turn it into fuel, because passion alone won't be enough to for tech startups.

Point is, it seems like that guy doesn't want a challenge at all.

Daytraderz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 11, 2016
Virginia
Well to be fair, from what I've seen from observing, as well as from what experienced tech startup entrepreneurs have said, it takes more than passion to do a tech startup. You have to use something that's bothering you, some sort of negativity, and turn it into fuel, because passion alone won't be enough to for tech startups.

Point is, it seems like that guy doesn't want a challenge at all.

What do you mean by something bothering you? As in people?

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hitting the SV startup lottery is one way to become wealthy, but its certainly not the only way and its not necessarily the best way. He seems to be focused on that world but plenty of people make money without the next hit "app".

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
What do you mean by something bothering you? As in people?

http://startupclass.samaltman.com/

usually its a problem that is bothering you that you want to solve. startups apparently are so stressful that it can deplete passion from someone, so you have to find fuel from negativity to drive you.

never experienced this myself yet, although i do want to want to do ventures in the tech space

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
You have to use something that's bothering you, some sort of negativity, and turn it into fuel, because passion alone won't be enough to for tech startups.
That sounds like passion to me lol

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
well with an attitude like that, he shouldn't become an entrepreneur. Who says you have to:

1) get investors
2) have any money initially
3) have a great idea
4) go up against the big guys
5) create a product that will dominate an industry
6) etc?

Go out and create value for people, and get people to pay you for that value. That's the way you start a business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.