Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Customs brokers, freight forwarding, seaports

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
102%
I was wondering if any of you might be able to recommend a reputable customs broker and freight forwarding service?

For those with experience in ocean freight: is it better to have my chosen logistics company move my goods from manufacturers door to mine or is it cheaper/ better to have manufacturer ship to a US seaport and have my logistics company clear it through customs and ship it to me from the US seaport.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vinisterz

ArviN
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
96%
I used to be a logistics salesperson before quitting that slowlane job so I know a little bit about what I have sold before.

is it better to have my chosen logistics company move my goods from manufacturers door to mine or is it cheaper/ better to have manufacturer ship to a US seaport and have my logistics company clear it through customs and ship it to me from the US seaport.

if you have your chosen logistics company move your goods from the manufacturers door to your door, your price of goods from the manufacturer would need to lower as you will have a larger bill from your logistics company.

if you have the manufacturer ship to a US seaport and have your logistics company clear through customs and ship to you from the us seaport, your price of goods from the manufacturer will be higher as it includes the ocean shipping portion.

either way will work, you need to ask your manufacturer for the shipping cost to your door and to US seaport. Then ask your logistics company for their price from manufacturer to your door and from us seaport to your door so you can compare which is better.

one thing to note, if your manufacturer does the shipping, you dont know if the logistics company they use will providing good or bad service.
if you already have a good relationship with your logistics company, at least you know that they are shipping your goods.

this thread that Rsimmons016 made might help you more:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ght-forwarding-international-logistics.49044/

this link will help you more with the incoterms of shipping:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterms#EXW_.E2.80.93_Ex_Works_.28named_place_of_delivery.29.

link to the top 25 freight forwarders. most will also have custom brokers in house, although you dont have to use the same company for freight forwarding and custom brokerage.
http://www.3plogistics.com/top25_ff.htm

most commonly used term is FOB port to door which means manufacturer will deliver goods to overseas port, your logistics company take over and ship goods ocean to us seaport, clear customs, and deliver to your door.

price of goods from your manufacturer will include delivery to overseas port.

bill from your logistics company is from overseas port to your door.

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
102%
Wow, thanks! Rep ferried. So far I have quote from manufacturer of item by self, and fob price. This whole ocean freight/ formal entry thing is uncharted territory for me. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
102%
Wow, thanks! Rep ferried. So far I have quote from manufacturer of item by self, and fob price. This whole ocean freight/ formal entry thing is uncharted territory for me. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
I mean rep transferred... Darn auto correct

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vinisterz

ArviN
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
96%
no worries at all, glad I can help.

with regards to freight forwarders / custom brokers, in my experience the larger the company, the less expensive but customer service goes down but their technology will compensate. the smaller the company, the more expensive but you can always negotiate pricing, request more service but their technology will be lacking. with that said, it will also depend on volume and frequency you are shipping.

if your goods are small, less value, less than a pallet 48x40x60, using courier DHL, FEDEX, UPS is generally recommended.
if you goods are larger, than 1 pallet / higher value, then it might make sense to start using the freight forwarders / custom brokers.

also don't forget INSURANCE for higher value shipments. you don't know how often a pallet or a whole container goes missing.

in kansas, I know expeditors, damco, and dsv have offices near there, you might want to try contacting all 3 for quotes.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Post/Like Ratio
102%
also don't forget INSURANCE for higher value shipments. you don't know how often a pallet or a whole container goes missing.

in kansas, I know expeditors, damco, and dsv have offices near there, you might want to try contacting all 3 for quotes.

Definitely! Thanks for the ideas of who to talk to next...very helpful!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.