The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Customers trying to low ball me.

Idea threads

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
Hi everyone so I run a grounds maintenance business some new customers are good and some I have to decode there words to see if they are wasting my time on a job.One customer was adding work when I already gave them a quote and when I said it will cost more they said no and when I phone them a day before to tell them I will be at there address I hear nothing what can I do?.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hello

In reality how many do that?

eg If they called you and ask f you can do xyz and you give them the price of £123 then that's it for 99% of people. There would be no reason for them to sit at home and think of something they had forgotten to ask you, call you back and expect you to do it for free.

So when did the customer add the work after the quote? On the actual call. And did they give you a firm yes to come after you said no?

Dan

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
...when I said it will cost more they said no...
What does this mean? Did they say 'no' meaning they wouldn't pay more? Or does 'no' mean they don't want you to do the work? Your post isn't clear.

A quote is a quote. If the scope changes, so does the quote. If they don't agree, then they can keep shopping. Otherwise, upsell them. "That work wasn't part of the quote, but I can do that extra work you asked about and XYZ work (which you didn't ask about but is related to XYZ) that I can see needs to be done for an extra $___."

...and when I phone them a day before to tell them I will be at there address I hear nothing...
I assume they agreed to the work. If so, and you told them you would be there to do the work, why do you need or expect a reply?

If someone tells me their going to show up at a date and time, then they damn well better show up and do the work on that date and time. Telling them you'll be there is not the same as asking them to confirm.

If they agreed to the work for the price, then show up and do the work. This isn't a customer issue. It's your issue with communication.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You probably have bad social intelligence

Poor frame control

Every single customer we signup goes through multiple qualification stages

They KNOW it’s a contract, 12 months, what is and isn’t in there, how things work, etc.

Hundreds and hundreds of people.

They all know what’s up. We don’t get taken advantage of. The money is taken out of their accounts on the first of the month. They try to fight payments or refuse cancellation fees, their contract for the entire year is due immediately because they agreed to it. We waltz into small claims court and walk out with a 2,3,4 thousand dollar judgement that gets smacked on their house immediately. I have my best friend serve papers because we love the look on their face.

It’s funny what accountability does to a persons attitude when they expected it going a whole different way in their head.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
HI Dan
Hello

In reality how many do that?

eg If they called you and ask f you can do xyz and you give them the price of £123 then that's it for 99% of people. There would be no reason for them to sit at home and think of something they had forgotten to ask you, call you back and expect you to do it for free.

So when did the customer add the work after the quote? On the actual call. And did they give you a firm yes to come after you said no?

Dan
Hi I gave the customer a quote there and then to do a hedge cutting job to take a percentage off and take away.Then the next day they wanted even more taking off like 2ft I said that would cost more plus yo take away they said no.Another site I walked into a office spoke to a boss to tidy up his overgrown yard I said it is going to be hard graft and would cost £££ and he said where is the hard graft when sitting in his chair and only looking at part of his site.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
Hi LateStarter.
What does this mean? Did they say 'no' meaning they wouldn't pay more? Or does 'no' mean they don't want you to do the work? Your post isn't clear.

A quote is a quote. If the scope changes, so does the quote. If they don't agree, then they can keep shopping. Otherwise, upsell them. "That work wasn't part of the quote, but I can do that extra work you asked about and XYZ work (which you didn't ask about but is related to XYZ) that I can see needs to be done for an extra $___."

I assume they agreed to the work. If so, and you told them you would be there to do the work, why do you need or expect a reply?

If someone tells me their going to show up at a date and time, then they damn well better show up and do the work on that date and time. Telling them you'll be there is not the same as asking them to confirm.

If they agreed to the work for the price, then show up and do the work. This isn't a customer issue. It's your issue with communication.
Hi I need a reply becuse some customers like me to phone them in advance as a heads up I will be arriving at your property tomorrow.So I give them a call to say I am on my way if they say yes that's all good I will not be home of just carry out the work or something then I am all good but I heard nothing.Also with the customer saying no they want the original price and more work to be added.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi LateStarter.

Hi I need a reply becuse some customers like me to phone them in advance as a heads up I will be arriving at your property tomorrow.So I give them a call to say I am on my way if they say yes that's all good I will not be home of just carry out the work or something then I am all good but I heard nothing.Also with the customer saying no they want the original price and more work to be added.
Of course, they want more. They want more because that's human nature. This is your opportunity to learn to negotiate. You can start with a little bit higher price so you can throw in a little bit more work or meet them in the middle.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk

I totally agree with you on "A quote is a quote. If the scope changes, so does the quote. If they don't agree, then they can keep shopping. Otherwise, upsell them. "That work wasn't part of the quote, but I can do that extra work you asked about and XYZ work (which you didn't ask about but is related to XYZ) that I can see needs to be done for an extra $___.".

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
I totally agree with you on "A quote is a quote. If the scope changes, so does the quote. If they don't agree, then they can keep shopping. Otherwise, upsell them. "That work wasn't part of the quote, but I can do that extra work you asked about and XYZ work (which you didn't ask about but is related to XYZ) that I can see needs to be done for an extra $___.".
Bingo.

They want more? Sure, it will cost $X. Hell, give them 5% off or something if they also agree to Y as well.

"Well, originally we only were contracted to clean up the flower beds, but I want to help you out. We can also do the mulch for $x, but if we do that, we may as well do a weed barrier while we're at it. We can actually knock the price down if you decide to do both."

Turn that $100 job into a $300 job.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
So I thought I would chuck a update out there on my progress.How I advertise is with high volume business cards frue peoples doors and a Facebook page where potential customers can see all my work I have carried out also advertise on my trailer.But I am still struggling to get customers each customer is very happy and if there is a problem I will fix it but everything has been fine.I have a uniform so I am not unprofessionally dressed what am I doing wrong?.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
So I thought I would chuck a update out there on my progress.How I advertise is with high volume business cards frue peoples doors and a Facebook page where potential customers can see all my work I have carried out also advertise on my trailer.But I am still struggling to get customers each customer is very happy and if there is a problem I will fix it but everything has been fine.I have a uniform so I am not unprofessionally dressed what am I doing wrong?.

Did you know that people use google to search for things including local lawn care companies? (shocked face)

Did you know that people spend all day scrolling social media and you can buy advertisement space to show things to certain people who live in certain areas?

Apparently this is news to you.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
Did you know that people use google to search for things including local lawn care companies? (shocked face)

Did you know that people spend all day scrolling social media and you can buy advertisement space to show things to certain people who live in certain areas?

Apparently this is news to you.
Apparently this is news to me "yes it is".

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You're problem is you haven't paid your dues yet. Time. You must put in the time to create a customer base and then it becomes very easy to drum up new & repeat business.

Ask each of your customers for a referral. Offer them a discount or a perk for each successful one they give you. Also, when you ask, hand them a small, wrapped piece of candy as you tell them thank you. Then you ask for your referral while they are munching on your candy.

Keep on going. Keep on asking people for their business. Keep on keeping on...

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
You're problem is you haven't paid your dues yet. Time. You must put in the time to create a customer base and then it becomes very easy to drum up new & repeat business.

Ask each of your customers for a referral. Offer them a discount or a perk for each successful one they give you. Also, when you ask, hand them a small, wrapped piece of candy as you tell them thank you. Then you ask for your referral while they are munching on your candy.

Keep on going. Keep on asking people for their business. Keep on keeping on...
Appreciate the reply totally get what your saying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.