The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Criticize my idea

Idea threads

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
This is my first post so bear with me. For the last couple of years I had been interested in entrepreneurship but now I've gotten to the point where I know the only way to succeed is to act. Ive had a couple failures and a couple small successes but i want someting more impactful. Currently I work as an automotive mechanic and spotted a problem in my market. People don't know what they're doing. Not just in my shop but it seems many other shops and dealerships. My project that I've started working on is a resource to help educate and improve the automotive service industry and individuals who work on cars as a hobby. I planned on operating around a membership style system and providing courses, skill articles and shop resources along with other things. There would also be free content and forums for non-paid members. The value provided to the customer would be educational resources, shop workflow improvements and intuitive UI. If anyone would like to point out flaws in my idea that I can't see I'd be very thankful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

phenom4hire

Onwards and Upwards
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 26, 2011
Jesup, GA
You will be competing directly against all of those DIY youtube channels that do this. I would make some quality videos and try to build up a bit of rep before a foray into a membership site or forum. If you have a specific set of talents for a specific brand, target to that audience.

I work on all my vehicles myself and people ask me for tips and advice all the time because they know that I know what Im doing and I don't have any ulterior motive. I also get offers to do the work many times after I explain what is needed.

Remind your customers how important time is and how watching your videos or using your service will save them this valuable resource. Good luck.

Just a little thought I had the other day while picking up parts. You know how you have your major parts retailers (Oreillys, Autozone, Advanced, etc.)? Well I always wondered why they don't have a multiple bay shop next to them to do service, installs, etc. I know that they cater to a lot of DIYers but I think that they could get plenty of work just using their brand name on the shop and they don't have to worry much about sourcing parts as most mechanic shops do.

D

Deleted35442

This is my first post so bear with me. For the last couple of years I had been interested in entrepreneurship but now I've gotten to the point where I know the only way to succeed is to act. Ive had a couple failures and a couple small successes but i want someting more impactful. Currently I work as an automotive mechanic and spotted a problem in my market. People don't know what they're doing. Not just in my shop but it seems many other shops and dealerships. My project that I've started working on is a resource to help educate and improve the automotive service industry and individuals who work on cars as a hobby. I planned on operating around a membership style system and providing courses, skill articles and shop resources along with other things. There would also be free content and forums for non-paid members. The value provided to the customer would be educational resources, shop workflow improvements and intuitive UI. If anyone would like to point out flaws in my idea that I can't see I'd be very thankful.
What @phenom4hire said. I think anyone that watched a few DIY car repair videos know this guy as well. https://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy
There's also self-diagnosis capabilities out there now such as https://www.automd.com/diagnose/
Phenom, your idea as to why Autozone/Advanced/etc don't do installations? Auto shops buy parts at wholesale prices. It wouldn't be anymore competitive margin-wise really. Not a business they want to get into. And if they did that, imagine the backlash from chain repair shops like Midas and all the little guys. Price wars would further emerge driving margins down across the industry.
@M_Power Are you leaving something out from your idea that differs from these? A consideration for you. Flip cars. Buy low/sell high. Have some land for this. Maybe even open your own dealership.

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
What @phenom4hire said. I think anyone that watched a few DIY car repair videos know this guy as well. https://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy
There's also self-diagnosis capabilities out there now such as https://www.automd.com/diagnose/
Phenom, your idea as to why Autozone/Advanced/etc don't do installations? Auto shops buy parts at wholesale prices. It wouldn't be anymore competitive margin-wise really. Not a business they want to get into. And if they did that, imagine the backlash from chain repair shops like Midas and all the little guys. Price wars would further emerge driving margins down across the industry.
@M_Power Are you leaving something out from your idea that differs from these? A consideration for you. Flip cars. Buy low/sell high. Have some land for this. Maybe even open your own dealership.
I was actually wanting to market it more towards shops, technicians and advanced diy'ers. I wanted to provide a source of more advanced diagnostic information that you don't see much outside of a technical college or something of that nature. I see alot of technicians wasting time trying to find information and if its put right in front of them in an easy to use way I think it would be valued. As far as gaining a rep goes I totally understand that becomes priority, I was planning on primarily working on free content and not offering any paid features until I had decent traffic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.