The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a simple web app with excel capabilities

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
Is there a online platform I can use that can take user generated form inputs and generate charts, graphs, and other statistics similar to what excel would do? For example, user would enter his workout history, record in on the website, and then click a button to generate statistics based on his input history. Basically, I would need to collect the user generated inputs in a database, and have a program like excel spit out charts and graphs using the database for each unique user.

I don't need a pretty user interface (not yet), just something functional. Basically, a simpler version of TheSquatRack.com. I don't have a programming background. I just need a functional prototype.

I've looked into platforms like typeform, blockspring, Googledocs, but I am not sure they have the capabilities for I am looking for. They seem to be built for online surveys, registration forms, etc. If you have any other suggestions for what I can try, please chime in!

People have suggested that I build or hire something to program it from the ground up, but I kind of feel that it is unnecessary (correct me if I am wrong!) given that my queries can all be done by excel.

If I have not explained well what I need done, please let me know and I can explain better

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
If you want to provide this as an app for other people to use you will have to have it custom programmed. Shouldnt be much work.

If you just need a working prototype you can just upen your excel file in google docs and make it public / allow people to copy it for their own use.

Not really clear what your goal is here.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
People have suggested that I build or hire something to program it from the ground up, but I kind of feel that it is unnecessary (correct me if I am wrong!) given that my queries can all be done by excel.

I think I see what's going on here. You believe that, since you can manually do this in excel, it should be trivial to glue a web form in front of excel and get the same results. Unfortunately that's going to be way harder than just doing whatever calculations from the data submitted thru the web form and using a graphing library to generate the results. That in turn is going to need you to program it, or in this case, hire programmers.

What you could do instead is just collect the form data and manually create the results/report and email it back to the users.

CosMoen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 19, 2011
I think I see what's going on here. You believe that, since you can manually do this in excel, it should be trivial to glue a web form in front of excel and get the same results. Unfortunately that's going to be way harder than just doing whatever calculations from the data submitted thru the web form and using a graphing library to generate the results. That in turn is going to need you to program it, or in this case, hire programmers.

What you could do instead is just collect the form data and manually create the results/report and email it back to the users.

Somebody suggested I learn something like Meteor to program it. I am probably going to go with this route.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

garyk1968

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 17, 2013
As others have said you are better off hiring someone than learning. If you are new to coding you will get frustrated pretty fast and doing web apps is not trivial.

Hire on upwork and really to mimic excel functionality you need someone with excellent experience with one of the more popular javascript framworks that offer grids and charting, 3 that come to mind are:

https://www.sencha.com/
http://webix.com/
http://www.telerik.com/kendo-ui

I'm currently using webix and its great for doing excel style editing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.