The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a product that prob wont work

futuremills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 29, 2007
SoCal
im new to the world of Ebizness and i have many ideas. I have talked to a few ppl and read many posts the last week. I am interested in possibly selling a line of beauty products and supplements for certain interests.

My question is..for example if I sold a natural face soap that helps cure acne, or a cream that helps hair grow faster What happens if my product does not work, which it probably wont. I see it no different as commercials for Clearsil that promise clearer skin or supplements that promise huge muscles but do not deliver. But, I feel like if it does not work ppl will want their money back and I dont want to develop a product just to have everyone return it.:cuss:

I would rather have my own "health/supplement" product and have my own affiliates rather then pumping someone else product that doesnt work:coolgleamA:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
1. some of these products work, otherwise they would not have sticking power

2. inquire with the manufacturer of the products you are looking to produce, ask them if they private label. Product pricing goes in order of price- private label, distributor, wholesale, retail. Manufacturing for you could slot in at any level due to the economy of scale. Use someone else to scale, and once you have your own scale, then evaluate if you want to create your own product.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
I apologize if I read your post incorrectly, but selling a product that you do not believe in is in my opinion a terrible way to start.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...-have-successful-entrepreneurial-premise.html

Kurtyordy offered a great suggestion on using a private label. Perhaps you could take a product you have used that you do believe works, and think of a way to market it to a different group.

futuremills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 29, 2007
SoCal
Let me elaborate a little more

i want to promote products that i believe in.... However if i can make a profit in a certain niche, I feel I should not over look it. How does a product like Extenze(penis enlargement pill that does not work) still sell. I heard that they have sold 5million pills, but nobody has seen results. Another example I think of is Muscle Tech. they claim outlandish results like 26times stronger 8 pounds of muscles in one week . As someone that lives in the gym, i can say these claims are false.
ATH_HeEver_BNA.jpg

FAKE FAKE FAKE...this is a major player in the supplement world

Today, while looking at a products i stumbled across a bunch of affiliates that created sites promoting oil treatments for herpes and warts. from the credible reviews i read and not the ones from affiliates, it does not work. Personally, I purchased a cream for my hair because it was shedding and it did not grow my hair back lol

I see these industries making big bucks off of people and I dont want to miss out. Iam a n00b at this and plan on starting affiliate websites to get my feet wet and I am looking for what sells.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I see these industries making big bucks off of people and I dont want to miss out. Iam a n00b at this and plan on starting affiliate websites to get my feet wet and I am looking for what sells.
So let me get this straight, you are willing to sell your soul and your integrity to make a few bucks? Who cares if the product doesn't work as long as you make money?

Let me tell you: Fraud is a very lucrative industry and has made many millionaires and billionaires. Madoff, Sanford, the dead guy who had the first penis enlargement company -- the list is quite long (no pun intended).

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Let me elaborate a little more

i want to promote products that i believe in.... However if i can make a profit in a certain niche, I feel I should not over look it. How does a product like Extenze(penis enlargement pill that does not work) still sell. I heard that they have sold 5million pills, but nobody has seen results. Another example I think of is Muscle Tech. they claim outlandish results like 26times stronger 8 pounds of muscles in one week . As someone that lives in the gym, i can say these claims are false.
ATH_HeEver_BNA.jpg

FAKE FAKE FAKE...this is a major player in the supplement world

Today, while looking at a products i stumbled across a bunch of affiliates that created sites promoting oil treatments for herpes and warts. from the credible reviews i read and not the ones from affiliates, it does not work. Personally, I purchased a cream for my hair because it was shedding and it did not grow my hair back lol

This is not false more than likely. If you look he has TONS of muscle even in his before picture. He could easily drop down to that in 14 weeks.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
This is not false more than likely. If you look he has TONS of muscle even in his before picture. He could easily drop down to that in 14 weeks.

He could drop that with steroids.. supplements ads are MOST LIKELY to be lying, esp. if promising that you will gain 30lbs in 30 days..

Stay away from cheating. If you won't leave the forum... You would probably earn a lot but who knows, you might not sleep well at night...

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I know that the thought of making easy money is appealing--however, keep in mind that there is no right way to do the wrong thing. ...If you really want to get into an industry that is loaded with fraud, perhaps you could create a site where people can rate and review different products (esp. the fraudulent ones)--and then you can steer them to products that do work. ...There is a site www.acne.org that does this well. :)

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
Futuremills,

Are you familiar with Casey Viator and the "Colorado Challenge". Its a well documented case about a washed up bodybuilder trying to make a comeback. He used steroids and other medical helpd, but the results were insane: 63 lbs of muscle in 28 days.

Off topic, but thought I would set folks expectations.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Futuremills,

Are you familiar with Casey Viator and the "Colorado Challenge". Its a well documented case about a washed up bodybuilder trying to make a comeback. He used steroids and other medical helpd, but the results were insane: 63 lbs of muscle in 28 days.

Off topic, but thought I would set folks expectations.

Oh it's a great example, I heard it being called Colorado Experiment! That was a scam!!! And big one! They promoted Nautilus machine that didn't work at all! Gla you mentioned this, I forgot it! ;)

futuremills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 29, 2007
SoCal
Sorry guys. I did not want to come across as a con artist or scammer in the making. I was just curious in how these products that dont work sell so well consistently and since I am new to this i was thinking about using one of these to products to be an affiliate marketer. I feel pretty sleezy now lol:smx6:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some use planned obsolesce as a marketing strategy. That is, the assumption that most people won't return the product, even if it doesn't work. It feeds off the assumptions that the average person is lazy and forgetful.

Gift cards that expire use the same theory.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Another note about the whole bodybuilding supplement thing is that most of the time the people in the pictures are guys/girls that have been doing this for quite a while, know their bodies, and are very effective at cutting/mass phases. Can they lose that much weight in 28 days? sure. Can the average joe who hasn't learned what works best for his body? probably not.​

I would say that often its not necessarily that the product didn't work, its just that they didn't include the whole picture in their pitch. Most people will have some positive results. I'm sure "Henry" didn't start lifting in January of this year.​

"results not typical"​

Here is a link to an article I came across a while ago that you may want to check out. It surely not the best article on the subject but has some pretty constructive information on selecting a niche.​

Good Luck!​

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Thats what I was saying. it's possible and he very well could of had those results, but it is results that "look" like there's more there than there actually is. They probably used the picture of a body builder that was bulking then cutting.

You get those results with great diets, not supplements.

I was just mentioning that something like that is very possible change wise.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.