The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Create a phone app.

Guillaumed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 25, 2018
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

I have several ideas for apps but don’t know anything about “coding/creating” apps. I wanted to know where should I find a programmer/software engineer ( if this is who I need ) and how to protect my ideas from being stolen....?

Any advices will greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for your time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Teddy L Wang

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 10, 2019
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

I have several ideas for apps but don’t know anything about “coding/creating” apps. I wanted to know where should I find a programmer/software engineer ( if this is who I need ) and how to protect my ideas from being stolen....?

Any advices will greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for your time.
facebook groups offering services. MJ talked about how learning to do difficult tasks weeds out those who aren't willing to enter through a more difficult entry barrier. also, if you don't try yourself, then do you know how to delegate the task to someone else? not saying you need to be an expert... but at least give it a shot? worth a try :) try udemy/skillshare... also, ideas are a dime a dozen. protect your execution, not your ideas.

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
I created a suite of iphone Apps for fun (passion project), I used a developer that I knew, as a favor but paid him for his time. It's not something you can learn overnight. I would go to Upwork or Guru and post your job, you'd be surprised at how inexpensive it is, it's easy for developers to do it. Keep in mind you will need them to do updates in the future, it's not a one time thing. Also, most Apps are free, so unless it's a game you can't charge much for it, so it's more of a tool for branding and marketing. Upwork is a gold mine.

To protect your ideas go to uspto.com and apply for a trademark, it's $225 per idea. Keep it general so it covers more products and don't use a logo unless you have a concrete brand, just trademark the name in the right category. There are a lot of unethical companies who will lead you to believe you need them to complete the process but it's a simple fill-in-the-blank process and they now have a series of short videos showing you exactly how to do it.

Guillaumed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 25, 2018
I created a suite of iphone Apps for fun (passion project), I used a developer that I knew, as a favor but paid him for his time. It's not something you can learn overnight. I would go to Upwork or Guru and post your job, you'd be surprised at how inexpensive it is, it's easy for developers to do it. Keep in mind you will need them to do updates in the future, it's not a one time thing. Also, most Apps are free, so unless it's a game you can't charge much for it, so it's more of a tool for branding and marketing. Upwork is a gold mine.

To protect your ideas go to uspto.com and apply for a trademark, it's $225 per idea. Keep it general so it covers more products and don't use a logo unless you have a concrete brand, just trademark the name in the right category. There are a lot of unethical companies who will lead you to believe you need them to complete the process but it's a simple fill-in-the-blank process and they now have a series of short videos showing you exactly how to do it.

Thank you PJ, helpful!

Julio Andres

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 9, 2014
I had found a couple of great app developers on the past on Upwork.
But I know about app development, so I was managing the stuff, even overseeing technical stuff.

So I would recommend that if you really want to follow that path, at least try to do a simple app by yourself, Udemy courses are very good to start, and are practically inexpensive. You can set a three month period just for you to study and develop something, and at the same time you can refine your idea, make mockups, show it to close friends/family.
I would say three months won't make you even a junior developer, but it could give you some knowledge on the area.

And don't worry on your app idea being stolen, to make an app successful you require much more than the app, the technical part is the easy part (if it's not something wacky/superdisruptive, or related to other hardware).

good luck!

Guillaumed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 25, 2018
I had found a couple of great app developers on the past on Upwork.
But I know about app development, so I was managing the stuff, even overseeing technical stuff.

So I would recommend that if you really want to follow that path, at least try to do a simple app by yourself, Udemy courses are very good to start, and are practically inexpensive. You can set a three month period just for you to study and develop something, and at the same time you can refine your idea, make mockups, show it to close friends/family.
I would say three months won't make you even a junior developer, but it could give you some knowledge on the area.

And don't worry on your app idea being stolen, to make an app successful you require much more than the app, the technical part is the easy part (if it's not something wacky/superdisruptive, or related to other hardware).

good luck!
Thank you Julio!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.