I'd not planned to start one of these threads, but @Andy Black encouraged me. I have some spare time today so thought writing a few things down may help. After taking a step back it seems that there is too much going on day to day for focus.
Big Picture Goals
The entertainment client will pay per lead. I have projected the potential to be $50,000pa, but in theory this could be $150,000.
Everything else is hourly or marginal retainers. Good money but lots of "noise" - too many emails, Skype meetings when I'm trying to get things done, one client enquiring when I am deep into another client's work.
Time and Direction
I work a minimum of 40 billable hours each week. On top of that are company administration hours, writing on my blog, answering Amazon enquiries, then mainly reading/planning.
When I have a truly busy week (start the day around 8:30am, work through until 10pm for ~6 days), I become reactive, not planned.
My partner came on board with the marketing company and that helped for a few months, but now we're both flat chat. More money, but still slowlane.
My goal is to start a business that sells high quality, intelligent outdoor recreation products. With the product in hand, I can set up eCommerce, manage inventory, build social accounts, market using SEO and paid advertising, outsource inventory. I just don't know how to get the products prototyped and created (without losing my shirt).
It seems my focus should be on the clients that allow me to earn a semi-passive income. This will allow me to take time away from hourly consulting (slowlane) and spend it developing products that I can scale (fastlane).
Actions
Time Saving
Thanks for reading, I welcome any feedback. I'm not here to make lists, I'm here to be accountable.
MJ DeMarco said:A scattered focus leads to scattered results. Instead of one business that thrives, the polygamistopportunist has 20 businesses that suck. Ten businesses earning $10,000 cumulatively are not better than one business that does it singlehandedly. When you segregate your effort among assets, you build weak assets. Weak assets don’t do heavy lifting, and they don’t build strong pyramids. Weak assets do not generate speed. Weak assets do not scale to multimillion-dollar valuations. Weak assets do not accelerate wealth; they build income to pay the month’s bills only to start over again next month.
Big Picture Goals
- Financial independence: live from yield
- Freedom from 9-5: not from hard work
- Financial security: for me and my future family
- To socialise with interesting/open minded people
- Exercise or be active every day
- Have fun, be happy
- Freedom to travel: I do not expect to outsource my businesses and work a 4 hour work week, but I want to work towards being strategic, rather than essential to every day operations.
- End the budget: I don't need to live a billionaire lifestyle, but I want to buy things and never consider "can I afford this?"
- Highly analytic
- Problem solver
- Resilient
- Driven
- Providing consulting/digital marketing services
- 1 agency client, with 9 sub-clients
- 1 entertainment client, with diverse products
- 1 outdoor goods client, eCommerce
- A marginally profitable affiliate blog ($100mo)
- A private label product using FBA ($500mo profit)
The entertainment client will pay per lead. I have projected the potential to be $50,000pa, but in theory this could be $150,000.
Everything else is hourly or marginal retainers. Good money but lots of "noise" - too many emails, Skype meetings when I'm trying to get things done, one client enquiring when I am deep into another client's work.
Time and Direction
I work a minimum of 40 billable hours each week. On top of that are company administration hours, writing on my blog, answering Amazon enquiries, then mainly reading/planning.
When I have a truly busy week (start the day around 8:30am, work through until 10pm for ~6 days), I become reactive, not planned.
My partner came on board with the marketing company and that helped for a few months, but now we're both flat chat. More money, but still slowlane.
My goal is to start a business that sells high quality, intelligent outdoor recreation products. With the product in hand, I can set up eCommerce, manage inventory, build social accounts, market using SEO and paid advertising, outsource inventory. I just don't know how to get the products prototyped and created (without losing my shirt).
It seems my focus should be on the clients that allow me to earn a semi-passive income. This will allow me to take time away from hourly consulting (slowlane) and spend it developing products that I can scale (fastlane).
Actions
Time Saving
- Automate monthly reports: time saving, ~10 hours/month
Set up hosts file to block myself from checking affiliate sites. This is already automated, checking achieves nothing: time saving, ~1 hour/month- Check Amazon Seller Central once per month. Urgent emails will come to my mailbox, the rest is noise: time saving, ~1 hour/month
- Find a reliable, English speaking developer that knows PHP/CSS/HTML and how to optimize sites using SEO best practices: time saving, ~25 hours/month
- Find a reliable, English speaking AdWords and social media marketer that can help be to continue to build traffic for my clients: time saving, ~15 hours/month
- Forget about blog?
- Abandon Private Label FBA Product (let stocks sell out)?
- Find VA to manage my emails?
- Generate $2083mo commission from outdoor goods client
- Generate $4166mo commission from outdoor goods client
- Generate $3125mo in leads from entertainment client
- Generate $6250mo in leads from entertainment client
- Write down products
- Assess total addressable market for products
- Of the viable products, pick 3 to start
- Draw and describe them as best I can
- Visit contacts in China/Taiwan, get the low down from them
- Find designer to design them (pending cost) OR
- Learn Sketch Up and design them
- Have the drawings assessed/evaluated by those in the industry
- Get prototypes made
- Evaluate myself, get feedback from others
- Build website/social accounts/branding
- Get production run ordered
- Develop 3 further products
- Generate $86,000mo
Thanks for reading, I welcome any feedback. I'm not here to make lists, I'm here to be accountable.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
