The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Confession: I'm a shiny object chaser giving it 50% throttle. Are you?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
Going to share my struggle:
I'm a shiny object chaser, as I'm sure many people on here are.
It's taken me a couple years to accept that it was a problem. It's caused me to shift gears too early, to never finish.. to always chase the next before the current was finished.. I never went ALl-IN to anything. I spread myself thin.

I am now in the process of creating an environment for pure focus. No more distractions, No new businesses, no MLM, no ecommerce, no more chasing 2 rabbits, no more what-ifs.. I'm clearing my desk daily, I'm hiring a house keeper to help declutter and rid of my distractions.. and I'm going full throttle!
It's difficult, but I've learned to say "NO."

Here's why:
I recently listened to an audio of a guy named Matt Morris. He makes a little more than $100k per month.
He explained.. most people kinda wander through their day or their business.. they do the bare minimum, or just a little more.. they give it 20% throttle.. maybe 50% throttle at most.. well.. if we're thinking about where we're at.. the slowlane is like a runway.. and our business is the airplane..
If the plane on the runway is at 20% throttle.. can it take off? What about 50%?
NO... TO GET OFF THE GROUND, YOU NEED TO GIVE IT 100% THROTTLE!!
You need to give your business full throttle!!

But not forever.. because if you REALLY gave it 100% forever, you'd burn out..
So he talks about putting yourself through a season. Let's say 90 days.

For 90 days.. put your TV in storage. Take Facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest and any other distractions or games... OFF YOUR PHONE..

If your family or friends try to get you to go out.. kindly decline and tell them you've got a "work thing" to go to.. or you have an "appointment" even if the appointment is with your laptop or phone.. after 4 or 5 times, they'll get the picture. Your friends and family don't pay your mortgage or buy you that car you keep dreaming about.. your clash of clans account doesn't help your revenue double.. watching motivational youtube videos and trolling reddit and forums all day does not make you money.. only action does..

For 90 days.. no distractions... GO HARD! The days are flying by faster than you can imagine.. What are your goals? Why aren't they bigger? Do you not believe in yourself? We're capable of so much more than we've ever done before.

So I commit today..

1. No more Facebook on my phone.
2. No more minimum wage activities
3. NO MORE shiny object chasing!

There's no reason we can't have everything we want and more...
Who else wants to commit to their craft? No more FOLO (fear of losing out)
Yes.. there may be more profitable opportunities out there. There may be someone else out there making more money.. maybe even in shorter time.. but I bet they're focused on their one thing.. But if you keep switching back and forth, or to new opportunities, you will never master your craft.. commit with me!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sharks

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 13, 2015

Great post. I need to do more of the same. I quit buying every shiny object and saved a lot of time and money. I use to live on forums,
social media, etc. What a difference it makes. Do you have a link to the audio of Matt Morris you listened too?

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
It's taken me a couple years to accept that it was a problem. It's caused me to shift gears too early, to never finish.. to always chase the next before the current was finished.. I never went ALl-IN to anything. I spread myself thin.

I am now in the process of creating an environment for pure focus. No more distractions, No new businesses, no MLM, no ecommerce, no more chasing 2 rabbits, no more what-ifs.. I'm clearing my desk daily, I'm hiring a house keeper to help declutter and rid of my distractions.. and I'm going full throttle!

Here's why:
I recently listened to an audio of a guy named Matt Morris. He makes a little more than $100k per month.
He explained.. most people kinda wander through their day or their business.. they do the bare minimum, or just a little more.. they give it 20% throttle.. maybe 50% throttle at most.. well.. if we're thinking about where we're at.. the slowlane is like a runway.. and our business is the airplane..
If the plane on the runway is at 20% throttle.. can it take off? What about 50%?

For 90 days.. put your TV in storage. Take Facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest and any other distractions or games... OFF YOUR PHONE..

If your family or friends try to get you to go out.. kindly decline and tell them you've got a "work thing" to go to.. or you have an "appointment" even if the appointment is with your laptop or phone.. after 4 or 5 times, they'll get the picture. Your friends and family don't pay your mortgage or buy you that car you keep dreaming about.. your clash of clans account doesn't help your revenue double.. watching motivational youtube videos and trolling reddit and forums all day does not make you money.. only action does..

For 90 days.. no distractions... GO HARD! The days are flying by faster than you can imagine.. What are your goals? Why aren't they bigger? Do you not believe in yourself? We're capable of so much more than we've ever done before.

So I commit today..

Yes.. there may be more profitable opportunities out there. There may be someone else out there making more money.. maybe even in shorter time.. but I bet they're focused on their one thing.. But if you keep switching back and forth, or to new opportunities, you will never master your craft.. commit with me!

I saw your post in the real estate section about wholesaling houses. You've already had some success with that so why not ramp up your marketing and go big w it. That business is completely a numbers game.

I have a few nice tools you can use if you have a decent marketing budget. (Websites, PPC campaign manager).

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois

Here's why:

So I commit today..

I love the airplane taking off reference. This has inspired me to delete social media off my phone, it's truly nothing but a meaningless distraction and I could honestly give a shit less what most people on there have to say. Now off to go make my own 90 day full throttle challenge. Thanks for the post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
That's a good start.

giphy.gif

KingKo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 27, 2015
Great post, honestly I do have to say I recognise myself in that. I spend a while of my life as well chasing every new online marketing get rich quick whatever method. Everytime I had to go life, and the fear came up, I changed gears to a 'better opportunity' and fooled myself. It was such a pain in the a$$ period. a period of an emotional roller coaster. I had to set back from social media and entrepreneurship in general for a while to get my mind straight. now i'm about to start a new venture and there is only one way now. it's foolish to get distracted cause whatever succesfull business you re attempted to, it wil always be a lot of hardwork and comfortzone pushing. whatever it is! Therefore, don't get trapped and stick with your guns!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.