The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Comedy + Fastlane =?

Do your friends consider yourself a funny person and do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
Only options for tags are insiders and rant so I'm just gonna leave it as insiders for the moment as it's more a question than a statement.
EDIT: Thread moved ty! I posted it really late and didn't even consider how to start a thread in the correct section.

We have various fastlaners here, especially insider so...I have a fun question for you today. (I think?)

Note this is not some sort of IDEA PURGE/BRAINSTORM. I know there is a lot of conflicting views when it comes to the entertainment industry and entry with fastlane oppurtunites. If this is a duplicate from some thread I was unable to find, I apologize.

I have more of a curious mind with a limited view at the moment so.....Fastlane and comedy, is it possible?? Anyone who uses keywords/trends and has checked 'funny stuff' would know this hasn't been going in a positive direction.

Now there may be a plethora of fastlane ventures related to comedy unknown to me so try not to judge this foolish one(tad bit tipsy).
At first google, the quotes are for famous youtubers (RayWilliamJohnson) who would review youtube's viral/funny videos for the week. His team was definitely based on entertainment more so than comedy (he's left his =3 channel to chase his dreams of being a producer or some shit).

This thread is meant to stimulate other members bigger (maybe better) brain for me and who knows maybe comedy will be the next popular thing? Kevin Hart has been caking since his worldwide tour(part due to his hustle).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
  • Movies
  • TV Shows
  • Stand Up tours
Those are the first 3 real monetization strategies that come to mind when it comes to comedians.

With that said, the odds are stacked against you. Everyone wants to be in the entertainment industry. The supply of comedians far outweighs the demand.

However, being around comedians is an amazing experience in and of itself. So if this is a passion of yours, then I recommend you start doing standup and building your friend group of fellow comedians. Worst case scenario you get you spend time with some hilarious people.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I don't think that it's something new or a new boom.. Comedy was always around and will probably always be.

We have a comedian here in Germany who started out with pretty small gigs, and now he fills whole stadiums, broke record after record. He didn't achieve that without committed work towards his goals, which (IMO) can be seen as a Fastlane.

My opinion when it comes to entertainment as Fastlane is that there are entertainers who treat their art like a business and others who don't. Those who don't just increase their "salary" because they entertain a lot of people, so they are still trading their time for money, just for a lot more money.

Then you have those entertainers who may start with an art, let's say music, but then after having some success create a business around their new built brand.

Look at Dr. Dre.

He's a musician. But he also owns a label. He built the Beats brand (of course thanks to his popularity gained through his music first.)

Btw Beats had one of the best marketing I ever saw, in nearly every hiphop music video you saw someone wearing his headphones, famous basketball players wear them before the games or in interviews. The brand is everywhere, and that's not by accident. That's marketing. Just take a music video that has some scenes in a music studio, a lot of the times you will see the artist record with Beats headphones on. Now watch some real studio footage, there are no Beats headphones, simply because they are not good enough for music making purposes (for listening yeah, but not for making the music.)

Lil Wayne, a musician too. Created his own label Young Money, discovered Drake & Nicki Minaj and signed them to his own label. Now they make millions for him.

Michael Jordan, basketball player. Created a shoe brand that everyone around the globe wears.

They all used their own brand (built through their success in entertainment) to build a business around that brand.

I think the successful entertainers put years of hard, committed work into their craft to master it. Some of them use their name to build a brand around it and a business (or multiple ones.) There are some entertainers who I see as entrepreneurs or Fastlaners, and others who are just entertainers.

Last edited:

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
Before giving you guys a chance to derail...I think he was just pushing you to expand on this ambiguous comedian in Germany. I see quotes like Louis CK who has been doing comedy since he was a teenager and made his break after being a writer for a show...

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Before giving you guys a chance to derail...I think he was just pushing you to expand on this ambiguous comedian in Germany. I see quotes like Louis CK who has been doing comedy since he was a teenager and made his break after being a writer for a show...
What he says ;)

Didn't want to derail.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
  • Movies
  • TV Shows
  • Stand Up tours
real monetization strategies that come to mind when it comes to comedians.

@Thiago Machado

What about a documentary about a guy who starts from nothing, and then finally laughs all the way to the bank?

Sounds hilarious to me.

Sounds like a real laugher.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
@Thiago Machado

What about a documentary about a guy who starts from nothing, and then finally laughs all the way to the bank?

Sounds hilarious to me.

Sounds like a real laugher.

idk if i got the joke but man that is just funny as hell to me for some reason

reminds me of drake's verse from 5am

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
One interesting thing about comedy is the instant feedback. You often hear musicians or actors talking about a big break, and while it still exists to some extent in comedy, it certainly seems to be a lesser degree.

You either go up on stage one night and make people laugh (success) or you don't (failure). There aren't many professions like that.

Torty Emmanuel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Feb 10, 2016
Lagos, Nigeria
I don't think that it's something new or a new boom.. Comedy was always around and will probably always be.

We have a comedian here in Germany who started out with pretty small gigs, and now he fills whole stadiums, broke record after record. He didn't achieve that without committed work towards his goals, which (IMO) can be seen as a Fastlane.

My opinion when it comes to entertainment as Fastlane is that there are entertainers who treat their art like a business and others who don't. Those who don't just increase their "salary" because they entertain a lot of people, so they are still trading their time for money, just for a lot more money.

Then you have those entertainers who may start with an art, let's say music, but then after having some success create a business around their new built brand.

Look at Dr. Dre.

He's a musician. But he also owns a label. He built the Beats brand (of course thanks to his popularity gained through his music first.)

Btw Beats had one of the best marketing I ever saw, in nearly every hiphop music video you saw someone wearing his headphones, famous basketball players wear them before the games or in interviews. The brand is everywhere, and that's not by accident. That's marketing. Just take a music video that has some scenes in a music studio, a lot of the times you will see the artist record with Beats headphones on. Now watch some real studio footage, there are no Beats headphones, simply because they are not good enough for music making purposes (for listening yeah, but not for making the music.)

Lil Wayne, a musician too. Created his own label Young Money, discovered Drake & Nicki Minaj and signed them to his own label. Now they make millions for him.

Michael Jordan, basketball player. Created a shoe brand that everyone around the globe wears.

They all used their own brand (built through their success in entertainment) to build a business around that brand.

I think the successful entertainers put years of hard, committed work into their craft to master it. Some of them use their name to build a brand around it and a business (or multiple ones.) There are some entertainers who I see as entrepreneurs or Fastlaners, and others who are just entertainers.

Right on Point!:tiphat:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Nowadays, it seems like you have to use multiple means for exposure and multiple means of monetization. Start off doing open mic nights while also making YouTube videos while also working the door at some comedy club to pay your rent. After a while, you create a podcast where you can bring on your comedian friends and special guests and stuff and start making t-shirts you create for your fans.

Then you take the risk of going full time.

The days of only doing stand-up are probably over. You gotta diversify your bonds.

They say it's not what you know it's who you know. That's probably 100x more relevant in comedy than anything else. Who cares if your friend at the bar thinks you're funny if you're not really funny? If someone like Hannibal Buress thinks you're funny, you're actually funny. If Bill Burr or Ari Shaffir or Burt Kreischer or Duncan Trussel or Joey Diaz think you're funny, that would be 100x better than if the guys at Ground Round open mic night think you're funny.

But once you're in, you're in for a long time, have a lot more opportunities, and can probably make money by doing anything from starting your own comedy show to doing a live show or writing a book or whatever.

Good luck though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.