The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chinese social networks for sharing AI related content?

Marketing, social media, advertising

akTwelve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I've recently been studying artificial intelligence heavily and I plan to start an AI business in the future. For now I'm trying to grow a following by sharing AI related blog posts and tutorials on my personal website and Medium.

I know that AI is growing just as quickly in China and it occurred to me that I could potentially have a huge market there if I could learn Mandarin well enough (or hire a translator) to share my content on social media in that market.

Does anyone know which Chinese social networks would be best for sharing this kind of content? For example, here in the US, Medium and Twitter are much better for sharing tech related content than Instagram.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Hey - what part of AI are you looking of doing as a business?

I researched it alot but the Maths is very difficult (I didnt even finish Highschool)
I plan to come back to it soon but doing Amazon FBA at the moment

I tried making something robotics related that could stack shelves, but it proved very difficult

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
I know that AI is growing just as quickly in China and it occurred to me that I could potentially have a huge market there if I could learn Mandarin well enough (or hire a translator) to share my content on social media in that market.
Thanks!

A little disclaimer here – I’m not from China, and I don’t have much understanding of the AI field, but I understand Mandarin so I’ll offer my 2 cents here. Take it with a pinch of salt.

How is your current Mandarin competency level? If it is zero then you’re in for a lot of work. It’ll probably take you 5 years to even reach the beginner’s level. 3 if you study like your life depends on it.

I’ll give you some examples. These groups of words:

1) 十,士,土,干,王, 玉,主, 丰

2) 口,吕,串,日,白,田,甲,申, 由

They might look similar, but each word is pronounced differently, and has totally different meaning. There are thousands of such words that you need to know and understand before you can form simple sentences. The examples I showed you are some of the most basic words in Mandarin, kind of like learning the ABCs before you learn simple words. There’s a reason why Mandarin is one of the world’s most difficult languages. Google it and see for yourself.

Your best bet is to hire a translator, while learning the language bit by bit. But then again, how can you be sure that the translator is technically competent enough to correctly translate your contents? And if he is indeed competent enough, why wouldn’t he write the content and earn the money himself?

Not to discourage you in anyway. Just wanted to offer you a different point of view. I may or may not be wrong.

akTwelve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey - what part of AI are you looking of doing as a business?

I researched it alot but the Maths is very difficult (I didnt even finish Highschool)
I plan to come back to it soon but doing Amazon FBA at the moment

I tried making something robotics related that could stack shelves, but it proved very difficult
I'm mostly focused on image recognition right now. The math is hard, but I have a Computer Science degree and have been exposed to all of it before. Even with that exposure, the concepts are difficult and I have a lot to learn., I wouldn't judge anyone for struggling with it!

A little disclaimer here – I’m not from China, and I don’t have much understanding of the AI field, but I understand Mandarin so I’ll offer my 2 cents here. Take it with a pinch of salt.

How is your current Mandarin competency level? If it is zero then you’re in for a lot of work. It’ll probably take you 5 years to even reach the beginner’s level. 3 if you study like your life depends on it.

I’ll give you some examples. These groups of words:

1) 十,士,土,干,王, 玉,主, 丰

2) 口,吕,串,日,白,田,甲,申, 由

They might look similar, but each word is pronounced differently, and has totally different meaning. There are thousands of such words that you need to know and understand before you can form simple sentences. The examples I showed you are some of the most basic words in Mandarin, kind of like learning the ABCs before you learn simple words. There’s a reason why Mandarin is one of the world’s most difficult languages. Google it and see for yourself.

Your best bet is to hire a translator, while learning the language bit by bit. But then again, how can you be sure that the translator is technically competent enough to correctly translate your contents? And if he is indeed competent enough, why wouldn’t he write the content and earn the money himself?

Not to discourage you in anyway. Just wanted to offer you a different point of view. I may or may not be wrong.

I am starting at zero, but really enjoying the DuoLingo course so far. The characters are a fun challenge for me. I realize that learning the language well enough to communicate at a technical level is not something that can happen without years of effort. Fortunately I believe most academics in the AI space are forced to learn English out of necessity, so I might be able to leave a lot of the content as is and just share it with a few words of Chinese and a link. As for hiring a translator, I see your points, but since I'm putting out my blog posts and tutorials for free, there's nothing stopping someone from stealing and translating my content today. You've described a general problem of business that can't really be avoided, unfortunately. Thanks for your thoughts.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I've recently been studying artificial intelligence heavily and I plan to start an AI business in the future. For now I'm trying to grow a following by sharing AI related blog posts and tutorials on my personal website and Medium.

Does anyone know which Chinese social networks would be best for sharing this kind of content? For example, here in the US, Medium and Twitter are much better for sharing tech related content than Instagram.

Thanks!

Wechat.

Anyways, a blog isn't going to cut it. Spend two days searching the top AI guys in Beijing. Email all of them. Schedule coffee with whoever responds. Get on a plane. Build a network in Beijing AI.

Figure out the next move based off of that. Total cost: about 1 week and $2,000.

akTwelve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Wechat.

Anyways, a blog isn't going to cut it. Spend two days searching the top AI guys in Beijing. Email all of them. Schedule coffee with whoever responds. Get on a plane. Build a network in Beijing AI.

Figure out the next move based off of that. Total cost: about 1 week and $2,000.
That's good advice for here in the US too. I need to be more active in making connections.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
That's good advice for here in the US too. I need to be more active in making connections.

Yeah. I may be wrong, but from the few people I've met in AI, connections mean a lot. You can't launch most AI startups without significant capital. It's not like most businesses that you can bootstrap. AI talent is too expensive and in demand, meaning that you need a lot of capital to attract the top players. Connections help you get that capital and players.

akTwelve

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah. I may be wrong, but from the few people I've met in AI, connections mean a lot. You can't launch most AI startups without significant capital. It's not like most businesses that you can bootstrap. AI talent is too expensive and in demand, meaning that you need a lot of capital to attract the top players. Connections help you get that capital and players.
Well to clarify, I am the AI talent for now. :) As I learn new things and read the latest research, I'm trying to create interesting content and market it to other people that want to learn AI.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.