The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can you help me figure out how to do better?

Eduardo Leal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 8, 2020
Spain
Ok, this is the thing. I’m an English teacher in Madrid. I work for a company (not mine) and I work under a figure called “autónomo” which is basically a freelance. So, even though I have fixed hours (usually around 30 a week) and the wage is ok (€19,90 per hour) you can imagine that it’s not the fastlane.
On the other hand, I am also a personal English teacher. I’ve been teaching online since 2018 and I currently have 7 loyal students whom I charge €96 for 8 sessions of 45 minutes. English teaching in Madrid is very competitive, there are thousands of teachers from all over the world. So it’s a very crowded slowlane. I also have a YouTube channel where I’ve poured time and videos with the intent of monetizing it. I’ve gained some followers, but I’m still not quite there.
I also have to say that I’m married, I have an 8 year old, we rent a flat, we arrived in Madrid in 2015 and we’ve been working our way to financial stability ever since. But it hasn’t been simple at all. And we’re not there yet.
I want to make MY business a lot better. The thing is that all I have is myself, so, time is also an issue. Yes, there are other English teachers, yes I could think about hiring others, but charging more for each session is not something I have in mind. Because of the competition, it makes no sense to charge more. And, honestly, any other teacher is able to do what I’m doing. Why would they work for me, when working for themselves could be just as good or better?
Am I at a dead end street? Is there something I’m not quite seeing that could make my own business a great fastlane idea?
Any feedback, idea, kick in the butt or slap in the face will be greatly appreciated.

Peace and $ to all of you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Are you teaching 1:1? Can't you scale it by teaching (multiple) groups online? Or build an on-demand training which your students can use and 1 day in the week you're going live for a full hour.

Our build a platform for other English teachers and you bring in the students. So basic lead generation.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I’d try to find a way to extract yourself from the teaching roll. How do you find your students? How can you find students for other teachers in Madrid for a small ‘finders’ fee?

Can you find a suitable venue and attract students to learn in a small group format (cheaper for them compared to 1 to 1 teaching) and find teachers to educate the class

How does someone wanting to learn English find a great teacher? Is there a site that ranks them? What booking services are out there and what could you provide that was better?

You need to find something that can be scaled. Your job is to be steering the ship not working in the engine room.

Eduardo Leal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 8, 2020
Spain
Are you teaching 1:1? Can't you scale it by teaching (multiple) groups online? Or build an on-demand training which your students can use and 1 day in the week you're going live for a full hour.

Our build a platform for other English teachers and you bring in the students. So basic lead generation.
I’ve been trying to create groups. For some reason people don’t love the idea of paying for an online class, sharing time with others. But I always make some effort on trying to create some groups. The other two ideas are very interesting, though. I will turn them around and inside out to see how to get the most of that. Thanks a bunch!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eduardo Leal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 8, 2020
Spain
Thank you so much for your reply.
After pandemic, I don’t know how the face-to-face classes are going to be handled, but yes, finding a venue has been in my mind for a while. I‘ve been finding my students personally. Basically they’re friends of students that have taken classes with me and then friends of them that have been lured in. I’ve thought about offering each student a small discount for every student they manage to bring in. Taking myself out of the teaching roll is, I believe, a great idea. I will definitely look into this and see how to get in touch with other teachers looking for students. Being the middle man with the small finder’s fee sounds great, if I can also take a little percentage out of the classes taught. This is basically creating an online academy and taking care of the class planning and the backend. Thanks for your feedback, it’s been quite eye opening.

I’d try to find a way to extract yourself from the teaching roll. How do you find your students? How can you find students for other teachers in Madrid for a small ‘finders’ fee?

Can you find a suitable venue and attract students to learn in a small group format (cheaper for them compared to 1 to 1 teaching) and find teachers to educate the class

How does someone wanting to learn English find a great teacher? Is there a site that ranks them? What booking services are out there and what could you provide that was better?

You need to find something that can be scaled. Your job is to be steering the ship not working in the engine room.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.