The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can Open-source software make a business for revenue,especially a fastlane model??

nikhil

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 12, 2013
I think with the current revolution going on around the world against surveillance of properietary software,people being spied,NSA activities,there is an inconvenience which people are subjected to,privacy is at stake.

I think open-source software can address those emerging needs of people.
My question
is can open-source software can generate any revenue.If it does, can it be a fastlane model?
Did I find a need??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
I know of at least two open source SW business models.

1. Create open source software under a common open source (free) license but also offer a commercial license and charge a lot of money for the commercial license. Hopefully your free license will create a huge user base which would be good for any company paying for your license.

2. Become an export in a widely used open source program and offer paid services and support for people using the software.

Both of these can be fastlane and are proven models.

I'm sure there are many more too.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Open and decentralised is the future of many web services imo. Bitcloud is looking to do this by incentivising nodes on the network to participate. It's something worth reading up on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25858629

Profiting from something like this may be difficult as it only functions if profits are spread throughout the participants on the network. It destroys web companies and replaces them with code. Participants that keep the Distributed system running are rewarded.

so I guess the answer is yes..maybe

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
I don't think you're asking the right question. Being open/closed source is irrelevant. What need are you filling?

nikhil

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 12, 2013
I don't think you're asking the right question. Being open/closed source is irrelevant. What need are you filling?
I think there is a need for software which doesn't compromise on user's privacy.
NSA in collaboration with top software/web companies is spying on user's data.
So,the need is for software which works autonomously,& which cannot be controlled by govt.or any such forces.In my opinion, open-source software would address that need.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
I understand where you are going but what exactly would you replace that's out there already with open source? Facebook, Skype, etc?

You have to figure that out and then work out the open source.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Hello, as a web developer I have used many open source applications and I have categorized them to the following:
1. Offer a free open source version supported by the community and a paid one
2. Offer addons/plugins for the open source version
3. Offer premium services (like customization)
4. Affiliate with other partners for services like specialized hosting etc

I have also seen other open source software being changed to commercial after some years.

If you have something in mind we might advise you accordingly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.