The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

can a classical musician make a fastlane using TMF and other side-hustle concepts?

Idea threads

brohankwon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 27, 2022
Hi,

My name is Yohan, and I am a full-time Korean-American classical musician based in northern Germany. 2022 was the year where I consumed a ton of information associated with business, side-hustles etc. (including reading TMF ), and eventually I found my calling in September. The side project consists of combining my virtuosic piano playing & foreign language skills, as well as adding in stand-up comedy & pop-style songwriting. Although I feel like I'm not grinding as hard since the beginning, going into Month 5, I can also say that I've played piano for many years and studied foreign languages since 2015 haha.

Now the question is...do most of these concepts even apply to me? Definitely not the fastlane itself, but at least it's a slowlane that I believe has the potential to "entertain millions and get paid millions."

I appreciate the feedback & encouragement! And open to answer questions as well

Best,
Yohan (brohankwon)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Hi,

My name is Yohan, and I am a full-time Korean-American classical musician based in northern Germany. 2022 was the year where I consumed a ton of information associated with business, side-hustles etc. (including reading TMF ), and eventually I found my calling in September. The side project consists of combining my virtuosic piano playing & foreign language skills, as well as adding in stand-up comedy & pop-style songwriting. Although I feel like I'm not grinding as hard since the beginning, going into Month 5, I can also say that I've played piano for many years and studied foreign languages since 2015 haha.

Now the question is...do most of these concepts even apply to me? Definitely not the fastlane itself, but at least it's a slowlane that I believe has the potential to "entertain millions and get paid millions."

Best,
Yohan (brohankwon)
Hm, I'm a musician myself and the only money producing things I have seen so far were these:
-Concerts (obviously)
-Courses
-1 on 1 Lessons
-Youtube Videos/spotify/etc (Good luck lol)

I might be forgetting something, but I think these are all I know/have seen.
You won't be making too much (unless you enhance your status even more and use it as leverage in eg. courses, lessons, etc or use other tactics?).

However, do you know Flowkey?
Perhaps you could build a website or app where you have video lessons (or just a normal course in other words) and let people pay for it?

It's a tough market. If we had to pick the worst industry Entry/Demand-Wise, it might be the music industry LOL.

However, good luck and don't give up. You have a skill people could only dream of obtaining.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
Hm, I'm a musician myself and the only money producing things I have seen so far were these:
-Concerts (obviously)
-Courses
-1 on 1 Lessons

i would add music producer (selling: Beats, Loops/Melodys, Ghostwriteing)
every artist wants crazy new guitar/piano melodys for example.

in the end you need to be top notch & master good marketing to have a chance against the million others.

brohankwon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 27, 2022
-Concerts (obviously)
-Courses
-1 on 1 Lessons

You won't be making too much (unless you enhance your status even more and use it as leverage in eg. courses, lessons, etc or use other tactics?).

However, do you know Flowkey?
Perhaps you could build a website or app where you have video lessons (or just a normal course in other words) and let people pay for it?

It's a tough market. If we had to pick the worst industry Entry/Demand-Wise, it might be the music industry LOL.

However, good luck and don't give up. You have a skill people could only dream of obtaining.
Thank you for the reply!

I plan to go all in on concerts/shows, where live performances would play an integral role in the project. As of now I'm taking part in some Open Mic events and posting my work on social media.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hi,

Best,
Yohan (brohankwon)

Two words: Movie Scores
Three more words: Music for Games

1. Get good at producing a few great movie scores, or making music for games.
2. Start a channel sharing your knowledge and wisdom.
3. Funnel traffic to your website with your new Music Score Academy, selling courses on effective musicianship, production, writing music for film, for video games, etc.
4. Build a community like MJ.

It's Fastlane bro!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Dude, you rock that piano!

As a singer and songwriter...I'd love to jam with you right now!

It's my impression that you yearn for stage performance.

Even if it's not 100% fastlane per CENTS,
what's not super cool about traveling and getting paid to play music?

Meeting other artists in the backstage,
and stumbling into so many opportunities that
you just can't see sitting at home.

Also, it can be very fastlane to be a composer/lyricists/music producer.

You could get paid when songs you have a % in are played somewhere.
Get acquainted with different types of music rights and licensing.

And probably best to consult a lawyer.

None of this is advice and I can't give any.
I'm just another artist saying hi and wishing you much success!

combining my virtuosic piano playing & foreign language skills, as well as adding in stand-up comedy & pop-style songwriting.
Sounds like it would be a cool show!

Best of luck!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Absolutely there is the potential.

It’s hard and that’s really the point.

You have to be unique.

But these days with the internet and social media you cut out a lot of the gatekeepers who controlled the entertainment industry.

Good luck, that’s a brutal journey but worth it.

Oh, and don’t believe in crap like the “10,000 hour rule”.

Last edited:

brohankwon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 27, 2022
But these days with the internet and social media you cut out a lot of the gatekeepers who controlled the entertainment industry.
THIS is the exact reason why I want to leave the classical music world (more specifically, orchestral conductors).

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I’m a violinist & just off the top of my head, I can name a many music centered fastlane product ideas

- educational material to learn piano, paperback guides, apps, Work books, students are always trying to perfect their technique and parents are willing to spend big bucks (Im speaking from personal experience)
- better equiptment ie: metronome, music stands, rosins (violin), kid centered piano acessories, music injury assisted devices (wrist braces), cold weather equipment(cold fingers)
- marketplaces; connecting musicians to performing opportunities, instrument rental
- non restrictive clothing (violinist),

THIS is the exact reason why I want to leave the classical music world (more specifically, orchestral conductors).

brohankwon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 27, 2022
I’m a violinist & just off the top of my head, I can name a many music centered fastlane product ideas

- educational material to learn piano, paperback guides, apps, Work books, students are always trying to perfect their technique and parents are willing to spend big bucks (Im speaking from personal experience)
- better equiptment ie: metronome, music stands, rosins (violin), kid centered piano acessories, music injury assisted devices (wrist braces), cold weather equipment(cold fingers)
- marketplaces; connecting musicians to performing opportunities, instrument rental
- non restrictive clothing (violinist),
Although I'm more into being on stage as a performer, I can see how legit those fastlane ideas are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.