The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying a eCommerce business?

nickgraham1234

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Apr 16, 2019
California
Has anyone here bought a business in the eCommerce space? I stumbled across exchange marketplace, some are claiming 2-3k profit a month asking under 15k. That pricing doesnt really make sense to me. I feel like if it seems to good to be true, it is..right? Anyways I just was wondering if anyone has bought a business in the eCommerce space and could give me a run down on what to look out for. Thanks :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
I have pretty much the same questions. There are several fairly cheap online business for sale that supposedly have decent anounts guaranteed in revenue. Seems like a great side hustle but also feels too easy.

Bubbles

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 18, 2019
I've been looking at acquiring businesses for a bit now. i've observed that alot of these ecommerce sites are doing dropshipping and buying ads off facebook. so there's not much competitive moats or product differentiation. You technically can reverse engineer their whole business in a couple days.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
There are many people on here that have bought and sold eCommerce businesses (including me).

I can tell you that all proforma numbers are going to be just that, proforma numbers. And they should be treated that way.

When I bought my current business, the final price was 62% less than the owner was asking.

What you need to do is to figure out if there is a deal there. How you evaluate and allocate the price is really the last aspect of the deal.

Here are some questions to ask yourself.
  1. Is the deal (in general) in my price range, if not can I obtain financing for it?
  2. Is the business model something that plays to my strengths and can I drastically improve the company?
  3. What resources are going to be required of me to build this business to where I need it to be?
  4. What are the seller's motivations for selling
This is just a small sample. There are plenty more.

Happy business hunting. :)

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,056%
Jun 11, 2017
United States

I mainly deal in businesses that have a recurring revenue model. Typically online or digital software and service related businesses. Currently I stay away from ecommerce because it doesn't mesh well with my skill set. But if were good at online marketing and sales, I'd get into ecommerce.

From my experience buying ecommerce businesses, which I have failed at, the issue is lack of barrier of entry. A lot of the ecommerce businesses that are for sale have a small window of success, maybe 3-12 months, and then sales start to drop because competition and copy-cat businesses spring up and sell the same products, especially in the dropship arena.

So if I had any advice, look for businesses that have a longer window of financial success. Also look for businesses that have products that differential themselves from others. Branding is important. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

If it doesn't make sense to you, it probably doesn't. Why would a business owner sell an asset that is profitable, and that they can make that money after a few months versus selling it for the same amount of dollars?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.