The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying a already profitable business, now to due dilligence

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
I currently own/run a decently successful real estate rental company with a total of 71 rental units. Making great cash every month, equity and growth is pretty good.

Recently I ran into a local business that has several sources of income just at one location. The owner is older and wants to get out and feels he can't trust any of his kids to take the business over (Which I agree, because I've seen a owner's kids destroy more businesses than I can think of).

Anyway, we're to a point that I have to start doing some serious due diligence on the business to determine whether it's worth what he's asking (Around $1.2m). My first step was to ask for books regarding the business, which he was happy to do, but he had to get them from his accountant, the same accountant that I've left this year due to their poor quality.

I was VERY shocked to see more-or-less the entire businesses' income on a single line stating 'other income' in quickbooks. Meaning, for reporting purposes 90%+ of the income is tracked to only one category. The expenses are tracked to a much better level, but it is very worrysome to see that the accountant he is paying a substantial amount of money to each year has prepared such poor reports. On one hand, this accountant has a track record of very shoddy work, but on the other it also slightly worries me in this phase of due diligence.

So, what I'd like would be input from those of you who have bought operating, and seemingly profitable businesses of ideas and best practices to get it done. Purchasing won't be the difficult issue (At least from what I see), making sure my investment is protected is what concerns me more than anything. I've run into so many businesses that were profitable, but the owners also stripped out cash (To non report or not pay taxes) it makes the books look awful. This isn't exactly going on here, but it adds another major layer into figuring out what the truth is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Jan 13, 2014
I was VERY shocked to see more-or-less the entire businesses' income on a single line stating 'other income' in quickbooks. Meaning, for reporting purposes 90%+ of the income is tracked to only one category. The expenses are tracked to a much better level, but it is very worrysome to see that the accountant he is paying a substantial amount of money to each year has prepared such poor reports. On one hand, this accountant has a track record of very shoddy work, but on the other it also slightly worries me in this phase of due diligence.

I don't know what kind of agreement you'd need with him to do this, but I'd want to do a full audit. The one time I've seen books this bad there were expenses getting capitalized and all kinds of other nonsense that led to the company looking much more profitable than it was.

@CareCPA is probably the guy to answer this question

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Sep 22, 2017
life
I currently own/run a decently successful real estate rental company with a total of 71 rental units. Making great cash every month, equity and growth is pretty good.

Recently I ran into a local business that has several sources of income just at one location. The owner is older and wants to get out and feels he can't trust any of his kids to take the business over (Which I agree, because I've seen a owner's kids destroy more businesses than I can think of).

Anyway, we're to a point that I have to start doing some serious due diligence on the business to determine whether it's worth what he's asking (Around $1.2m). My first step was to ask for books regarding the business, which he was happy to do, but he had to get them from his accountant, the same accountant that I've left this year due to their poor quality.

So, what I'd like would be input from those of you who have bought operating, and seemingly profitable businesses of ideas and best practices to get it done. Purchasing won't be the difficult issue (At least from what I see), making sure my investment is protected is what concerns me more than anything. I've run into so many businesses that were profitable, but the owners also stripped out cash (To non report or not pay taxes) it makes the books look awful. This isn't exactly going on here, but it adds another major layer into figuring out what the truth is.

examine every portion of the business like a doctor would give a cancer patient a x ray be very through determine whether or not the risk is worth it and if not move on to a new idea

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.