The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buying 2nd home in MI around Taylor, Romulus, Warren, or oak park area...

Arturo-Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 21, 2011
Hello everybody,

I mostly lurk around here.
Now here's some background:

I'm a 24 yr old professional and student. I just decided to go back to school Jan 2013 as my backup plan. Accounting/CPA is my degree and specific area I want to work in.

Anyways, I bought my first residence at 23, have lived in it for almost one year. The location is beautiful, kind of a "55+ neighborhood" but not officially. Crime is almost non-existent in this suburb. Lots of nice wooded areas with deer going through the yards and coyote sightings, etc...

My plan is to pick up my 2nd home, purely as an investment property. The area would be quite foreign to me. Right outside of Detroit you can find a decent house for cheap, and there looks to be lower crime areas outside of Detroit.
My budget is 20k, and I'd be looking for a 3 bed 2 bath, 1,000 sq feet+ home. Rent could be around $700-1,100. Is this the ballpark for the area? And at this price, probably would need to budget for some repairs...

I was looking at the areas of TAYLOR, ROMULUS, WARREN, or OAK PARK. Am I crazy, or are these areas doing OK? They seem to be much lower crime than deep within Detroit, but the prices are still very low.

Second part of the plan is to rent my current home out for a huge cashflow. $1,400 monthly rent, mortgage and association runs me $730. So around $700 cash flow, plus the MI property would be around $500+ cashflow.
The area I'm currently in is upper middle and lower middle class, but high demand.

I recently bid on a duplex in Minneapolis, MN. Landlord could not prove the renters actually pay the rent on time because he claimed it was 100% cash payments. It was contract for deed and I only offered 10% down with balloon in 3 years, because I figured I'd be evicting these animals and having to do extensive repairs.
Needless to say, they rejected that offer right away. It was a rough neighborhood anyways, nothing lost.
I will go back and pitch a 2nd offer in 6 months if it's still on the market.

So what do you think of my Michigan idea? I would find a property management company to manage it most likely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wimtbimtb

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 14, 2008
South East Michigan
Well you must not be from around these parts lets see Detroit, Hmmmmmmmm last week I saw 2 car jackings, 3 people get shot. Pulled into a gas station saw 2 people get guns pulled on them. They had like 10 shootings with people that died So yeah Detroit is not the best of places to be around if you get my drift...Those other area's are indeed safer but they all have Issues. Oak Park or Warren would be you're best bet IMHO. Taylor is not bad either

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I live in a nice burb of Detroit. Mostly older crowd.Nice golf course near. There are some vacants. Best one I know of is 900 + sq ft. $34,000. Move in condtion according to Zillowe. I've been out of the market for a few years...don't know if there are props for $20,000 where I am. IMO the further away from Detroit the better. The bad guys are reaching into the burbs more...$. But the asking prices are higher further out to.

TurboTT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 22, 2013
As an investor I wouldnt buy in Michigan. There is no longer anything here. The economy is horrid. I live up in the Flint area and we are still in the 20% unemployment range.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
If I had the cash, I would buy in those areas. I've never dabbled in real estate tho, just my opinion. I will also want any rental I have as close as possible to where I stay at.

Not to Hijack the thread, but I see we have a few Michiganders out here. How about we start a fastlane meetup. Maybe meetup once every month or once every two months.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
The other cities went to shit.

I would actually disagree with this...Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak, Orchard Lake, West Bloomfield are still extremely nice areas of Michigan, not to mention Grand Rapids.

To the OP: If you have the cash look into some of the areas I listed above, extremely nice houses, beautiful locations, friendly people, little to no crime and amazing schools.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I would actually disagree with this...Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak, Orchard Lake, West Bloomfield are still extremely nice areas of Michigan, not to mention Grand Rapids.

To the OP: If you have the cash look into some of the areas I listed above, extremely nice houses, beautiful locations, friendly people, little to no crime and amazing schools.

He's not going to find nice houses in those areas for that cheap. With the exception of Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids has some nice parts and bad parts.

Arturo-Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 21, 2011
I would look in Taylor, Roseville, Warren. The other cities went to shit.

Thanks for the input psaco131, and thank you everybody else for the input.
I would not buy within Detroit, because obviously I'm aware of the crime, unemployment and other issues plaguing the city.
A young couple on House Hunters found a nice house in Ferndale, which put the burbs on my radar.

I noticed the prices do creep up once you get to the nicer areas in the suburbs. That's okay, as it's the price of safety.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet

Those are probably not in his price range... forget about Birmingham.

if I were to buy a house, I would want to buy one in Ferndale.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Eastwind...I'm all for the meetups !

As I said earlier, the nicer the neighborhoods, the higher the asking prices. If he has $20,000 + fix up money, he'll have to look in the not so nice areas.

I was in the hard money lending business 4 yrs, before they went under so I'm pretty familiar and try to keep up with what's happening here. Personally, I would not invest my only $20,000 in real estate. It's NOT fastlane. Find a problem. Solve it. -Jay....where do you work ? What do you do ? Look for problems there. Look to improve something.

Arturo-Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 21, 2011
...I would not invest my only $20,000 in real estate. It's NOT fastlane. Find a problem. Solve it. -Jay....where do you work ? What do you do ? Look for problems there. Look to improve something.

This is true, it's not a fastlane idea. I admit the fastlane approach is obviously best, so I should probably shift my focus.
I have some other ideas I'm going to look into.

SkyRoz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 22, 2013
USA
Fastlane approach is new to me and i do not know about it.
Can anyone explain it for me in details as i am very curious about it...
Thanks in advance...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.