The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Businesses that offer (passive income) services?

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
So I'm starting to get a hang of e-business while learning web design. I've decided that I'd like to go down the route of what many accomplished entrepreneurs on this board have done and thats offering a service, not a product. I could easily start a web site where I make hourly postings and information about my own niche and charge a monthly fee, but I'm not sure how many subscribers I would get - let alone if I would really want to put in all that labor. I really would like to get my brain juices flowing and would like to look at some already established e-businesses that offer services. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a little bit confused about what I should be trying to create.

:thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
So I'm starting to get a hang of e-business while learning web design. I've decided that I'd like to go down the route of what many accomplished entrepreneurs on this board have done and thats offering a service, not a product. I could easily start a web site where I make hourly postings and information about my own niche and charge a monthly fee, but I'm not sure how many subscribers I would get - let alone if I would really want to put in all that labor. I really would like to get my brain juices flowing and would like to look at some already established e-businesses that offer services. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am a little bit confused about what I should be trying to create.

:thankyousign:
One good example I could think of is PayPal. They strictly provide a service.

Other examples, although similar, would be websites that offer credit card processing.

Too pissed off to post more examples at the moment.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I think that making something as a CC gateway or a PayPal would be too bigger for starters. You would need funding and several employees

I really like services like the ones provided by 37signals, you don't need to make deals with too many providers (CC's for example)

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I think that making something as a CC gateway or a PayPal would be too bigger for starters. You would need funding and several employees

I really like services like the ones provided by 37signals, you don't need to make deals with too many providers (CC's for example)
I agree. It was the first example that came to my head.

And Jason, thanks. It was quite disappointing. At least there's next year...hopefully with Torre, Posada, Arod, and Rivera.

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It might be a good idea to turn this thread into a passive income ideas brainstorm (if the owner of the thread agrees, of course).

Here are some ideas paraphrased from Investing and Wealth Management CD by Bob Proctor...he refers to the term MSI technology (multiple streams of <passive/semi-passive> income).

A lot of these are not E-commerce related, but they still might be of interest to you or spawn some new ideas.

Write a book, a song, a play, or a movie script
Publish a book that is under public domain (ebook?)
Join an network marketing company
Produce a series of audios, CDs for your given field
Invent something
Royalties from intellectual property- give some your idea to take to market
Real Estate Investing
Back End Sales
Referral Fees (maybe in your existing business)
Web based affiliate programs
Facilitate or market something for someone else
Get an insurance or securities license
Franchise something
Rent your mailing list for a fee
Find existing successful products and find new markets or adapt a product to a particular market
Start a Karate club (you don't have to know anything bout Karate)
Start a company with painters (you don't have to know how to paint)
Marketing consultant
Retailer
Become a venture capitalist (put together people that need money with people that have money)
Write a newsletter for a company
Sell "how-to" special reports
Start an Entrepreneurial Assoc.
For something you already sell, opt to take a portion of the sales and no up front fee...rather than a flat fee

What do you like doing? What have you done well in the past? How can you turn that into a profitable venture? How can you make it passive income?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Great ideas! ++rep

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
Taking a look at websitepulse.com and 37signals.com, these are all service providers and I like their format. I still need to develop my own niche but would it even be possible for someone like me who is currently learning html to program a web site like that? Or would I have to outsource it to a different firm? I'll keep thinking about an e-service business that would fit me. Thanks

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Taking a look at websitepulse.com and 37signals.com, these are all service providers and I like their format. I still need to develop my own niche but would it even be possible for someone like me who is currently learning html to program a web site like that? Or would I have to outsource it to a different firm? I'll keep thinking about an e-service business that would fit me. Thanks

You're totally going about it the wrong way. I'll make a post about this later this evening or tomorrow.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
You're totally going about it the wrong way. I'll make a post about this later this evening or tomorrow.

Thank you for your help! :) I look forward to reading it

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007

I'm looking forward to this as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
This link doesn't work anymore... I'm kinda triggered now and this open end is killing... What's the wrong and right way?

MJ literally wrote two books about it in between that post and now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.