The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business Success when there's no Middle Class

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Innovation and efficiency gets rid of boring menial jobs people tend to hate. Maybe their displeasure is a personal defect in modern society as gratefulness is in short supply.

The invention of the washer and dryer and roomba gave servants less to do.

The robotic arm that cooks hamburgers means someone is not having to stand over a hot greasy stove flipping burgers for hours.

Population dynamics predicts that human population will reach a peak then a rapid decline due to exhaustion of resources faster than they replenish. This is not a technology driven process but instead just a fact of population explosions. It happens to animal populations and will happen to people. This is when you need to be worried about fewer customers and also being positioned in the world to survive it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I’m not making it political.

You made the claim the population of people with disposable income is shrinking as fact.

I disagree and am very bullish on consumerism and wanted to know how you landed on your assumption, but you think I’m just arguing with you.
Well this sounds like a discussion.

Consumerism isn't going away. It's shifting.

I hate HuffPo, but here's a decent collection of charts that show what I'm talking about with the Middle Class.
The Sad State Of America's Middle Class, In 6 Charts | HuffPost

Does income dictate net worth? No
I don't follow your point.

Shouldn’t consumption levels be more pertinent to your argument?
Consumption can be produced by reduced net worth, disposable income, or by debt. They are not all the same, as there are far different implications depending on the source.

Last edited:

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
So long as there is action inequality there will always be income inequality.

The alternative is slavery where actions are forced.

Every "universal income" distribution will not be spent equally across society.

You give everyone an "income" payment of $10,000, wait one month. Some people will be bankrupt and have spent it all and others will have doubled it.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Innovation and efficiency gets rid of boring menial jobs people tend to hate. Maybe their displeasure is a personal defect in modern society as gratefulness is in short supply.

The invention of the washer and dryer and roomba gave servants less to do.
None of this has anything to do with my point about if you SELL to these people.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Consumerism isn't going away. It's shifting.

Shifting how though? Prove it.

The average American income is shifting up.
The median American income is, in your words and I didn’t verify this, shifting downward.

Assuming the above is true, what does that data mean? Factually it means the majority of earners are no longer “in the middle” they have grown above it while the derelicts are still the same unchanged derelicts. This, on a whole, bodes well for consumer based businesses.

My point is you need to take whatever the label of “middle class” describes out of the picture. Median income is a bullshit statistic unless you use it to see a bigger picture.

People aren’t fleeing America. People are largely employed in America. A decent percentage of the population blows everything they make or close to it.

So, I disagree, I believe the population of people with disposable income is growing.

Last edited:

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Question your assumptions.
The lower class has shrunk and the upper class has grown.
The shrinking middle class is people moving into the upper class.
That is a good thing.
That's not what Pew Research found. In a study of 229 metro areas, upper and lower class grew roughly the same: 160 metro areas showed an increase in lower-income people, 172 showed an increase in upper-income people. 203 metro areas (89%) showed a decrease in middle-income people, defined as people who make between 2/3x and 2x the national median size-adjusted household income. That data says very clearly the middle class is shrinking, with people moving up AND down about equally. (This study looks at the number of **metro areas** that changed, not the number of **people** who changed, but it should be fairly representative.)

America’s Shrinking Middle Class: A Close Look at Changes Within Metropolitan Areas

That study is 2 years old, but I don't think much has changed.

Bdubz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Feb 6, 2014
This is a good discussion. I don’t have charts or proof but with the rise in cancelling cable for majority of people imo proves the majority does not have disposable income they once did. More people are in more debt than ever before. Especially the young people.

I have friends who are on suicide watch after coming to the realization their 85k piece of paper was worthless and they cannot find jobs. I watched a video a while back about this generation of people 30 and under are under a mass depression engulfed in technology and social media, losing their social skills day by day. I don’t know the truth of that theory but I will say the people I know from high school and college the majority of them are not happy with their lives. Not happy people don’t spend frivolously on things they don’t need.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That's not what Pew Research found. In a study of 229 metro areas, upper and lower class grew roughly the same: 160 metro areas showed an increase in lower-income people, 172 showed an increase in upper-income people. 203 metro areas (89%) showed a decrease in middle-income people, defined as people who make between 2/3x and 2x the national median size-adjusted household income. That data says very clearly the middle class is shrinking, with people moving up AND down about equally. (This study looks at the number of **metro areas** that changed, not the number of **people** who changed, but it should be fairly representative.)

America’s Shrinking Middle Class: A Close Look at Changes Within Metropolitan Areas

That study is 2 years old, but I don't think much has changed.

According to the chart in this article, middle class is described as individual earnings of 24k per year... That requires a job where someone would make 12 bucks per hour...

If middle income is described by nothing more than basic full time employment there is nowhere to go but up.

Thank you for posting this Gary, because it shows the strange ways people define “middle income” or “middle class”.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This is a good discussion. I don’t have charts or proof but with the rise in cancelling cable for majority of people imo proves the majority does not have disposable income they once did. More people are in more debt than ever before. Especially the young people.

I have friends who are on suicide watch after coming to the realization their 85k piece of paper was worthless and they cannot find jobs. I watched a video a while back about this generation of people 30 and under are under a mass depression engulfed in technology and social media, losing their social skills day by day. I don’t know the truth of that theory but I will say the people I know from high school and college the majority of them are not happy with their lives. Not happy people don’t spend frivolously on things they don’t need.

The rise in canceling cable proves nothing about incomes. There are way more factors at play than expense such as alternative forms of entertainment. I would say smart TVs are a much larger reason for shedding cable.

More people in debt implies more spending, not less, the debt didn’t create itself.

Unhappy people also statistically do spend more, as a percentage of their income, than their content and happier counterparts. That, however can be a cyclical relationship. They spend because they are unhappy, and they are unhappy because they spent themselves into debt. Dopamine driven individuals have manic tendencies like this.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Guys, please try to keep the politics out of it...

Discuss as if the premise were true.

Kinda like saying... "Hey, if the stock market declines by 30% this year, what will you do?"

The premise can be argued, debated, and speculated, but the question speaks to what you will do IF it occurs - not IF the market will or will not decline 30%.

Thanks!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Guys, please try to keep the politics out of it...

Discuss as if the premise were true.

Kinda like saying... "Hey, if the stock market declines by 30% this year, what will you do?"

The premise can be argued, debated, and speculated, but the question speaks to what you will do IF it occurs - not IF the market will or will not decline 30%.

Thanks!

Like the guy who comes just in time to break up the drunks at the bar . . .

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Shifting how though? Prove it.

The average American income is shifting up.
The median American income is, in your words and I didn’t verify this, shifting downward.

Assuming the above is true, what does that data mean? Factually it means the majority of earners are no longer “in the middle” they have grown above it while the derelicts are still the same unchanged derelicts. This, on a whole, bodes well for consumer based businesses.
Imagine a bell curve with a large hump in the middle, where the majority make a good living, with a few making an extravagant living & a few in poverty. That was America 30 years ago.

Today, that bell curve is flattening and moving to the left, where less people make a good living, a few more make an extravagant living, and many more are in poverty. I believe we will continue to see this change occur.

There are consumer based businesses that can thrive in this, and many have/will. It's just a shift.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
According to the chart in this article, middle class is described as individual earnings of 24k per year... That requires a job where someone would make 12 bucks per hour...

If middle income is described by nothing more than basic full time employment there is nowhere to go but up.

Thank you for posting this Gary, because it shows the strange ways people define “middle income” or “middle class”.
Middle Class is simply a math calculation from median income.

From the article "The income it takes to be middle income varies by household size, with smaller households requiring less to support the same lifestyle as larger households. Thus, a one-person household needed only $24,000 to $72,000 to be middle income in 2014. But a five-person household had to have an income ranging from $54,000 to $161,000 to be considered middle income."

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What i see from my kids is they don't buy anything.....
They need a smart phone, a ps4, and time.
No cars, no sound systems, no going to the mall.
They want to hang out with their friends. Whether it is fortnite or on the basketball court. Very social.
Not really into buying a bunch of stuff. Content / skins / packages for their online players.
Pizza. Occasional movie. Few bucks for uber.

Eventually they will get out and get jobs and have kids and buy houses / cars / etc. Seems the new play though is for online content, subscription boxes, and experiences they can have with their friends...... (they just spent $70 on wrestlemania and watched with friends.... they had a blast for 4 hours and loved it)....

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
They want to hang out with their friends. Whether it is fortnite or on the basketball court. Very social.
Not really into buying a bunch of stuff. Content / skins / packages for their online players.

Eventually they will get out and get jobs and have kids and buy houses / cars / etc. Seems the new play though is for online content, subscription boxes, and experiences they can have with their friends...... (they just spent $70 on wrestlemania and watched with friends.... they had a blast for 4 hours and loved it)....

I see so many people mentioning this and with the impending death of the shopping mall, I started thinking that land could be replaced with massive social entertainment centers like a theme park but on a smaller scale. Throw in VR/AR, rock climbing, gaming lounges, weed lounges, trampoline zones and whatever else kids love to do now all under one roof.

Not trying to derail the thread.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana

Eventually they will get out and get jobs and have kids and buy houses / cars / etc.
Home ownership is dropping like a rock, car ownership is too (leasing is way up + Uber, etc), and the number of kids people have is also down. What we assume WILL happen isn't happening. And I don't think it's coming back.

*Edit: Full time employment is also way down. People are having to do freelancing/gig economy/multiple jobs.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Now THAT is an interesting observation! Rep+

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Home ownership is dropping like a rock, car ownership is too (leasing is way up + Uber, etc), and the number of kids people have is also down. What we assume WILL happen isn't happening. And I don't think it's coming back.

LOL, I was there at Wrestlemania in the Superdome in a Suite and left because I was so bored... but was very surprised by the wide range of fans.

I was on the Lincoln website the other day because I’m considering a Continental. They have come up with a untraditional lease model. Basically you pay X per month and EVERYTHING is taken care of. You can have the car for 1 month, 6 months or 2 years... they just quote you a price and you start paying. It includes insurance too. Kind of compelling to me honestly, might be great for a company car.

Cadillac has something similar too... These big car companies must be seeing the same trend.

Although, when I leased another car recently, there was a lack of pride of ownership... I didn’t think I would care, but I kind of did.

Following the same trend of swaping and not committing to things... What if a company that owned apartment complexes across the US did the same? You could pay one monthly fee and go from place to place, furnished apartments available... 2 weeks- 6 months what ever.

My country club is like that. I can usually find a Clubcorp property wherever I go and I have access as if I were a member of that club.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I was on the Lincoln website the other day because I’m considering a Continental. They have come up with a untraditional lease model. Basically you pay X per month and EVERYTHING is taken care of. You can have the car for 1 month, 6 months or 2 years... they just quote you a price and you start paying. It includes insurance too. Kind of compelling to me honestly, might be great for a company car.

Cadillac has something similar too... These big car companies must be seeing the same trend.

Although, when I leased another car recently, there was a lack of pride of ownership... I didn’t think I would care, but I kind of did.

Following the same trend of swaping and not committing to things... What if a company that owned apartment complexes across the US did the same? You could pay one monthly fee and go from place to place, furnished apartments available... 2 weeks- 6 months what ever.

My country club is like that. I can usually find a Clubcorp property wherever I go and I have access as if I were a member of that club.
The lack of interest in ownership is partially a psychological shift (ownership = higher risk), partially financially driven (people don't have cash to afford down payments/tax incentives), and partially because as businesses have responded to 1 & 2 the options are vastly improving.

This is the first I've heard about Lincoln, but we will be seeing more and more of this. Tesla's plan is to let you rent out your car while you don't need it utilizing their self-driving technology.

To take it even further, organizations are no longer wanting to "own" employees - preferring to outsource majority of non-core operations / utilize freelancers and contractors.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
I've been thinking about where America is headed, and when I look 20 years into the future

Do you know how long Eternity is in the Fastlane? About 5 years. So stop navel-gazing and stop worrying about 'income equality' 20 years from now.

Last edited:

mmcconnell1618

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Apr 2, 2014
Richmond, VA
What happened to the saddle makers with the invention of the automobile and motorcycle?

Society moved on.

I've spent a lot of time studying the potential impact of automation and artificial intelligence on workers. My initial thought was that this would be really bad on many workers would no longer have any opportunity. However, past industrial revolutions have ended up creating more jobs than they destroyed.

Yes, the horse buggy companies were going to go out of business and most decided to ignore the automobile and create fancier buggies. William Durant decided to kill off his buggy business and buy as many failing auto companies as he could. William Durant took this failing auto companies and created General Motors.

Think about jobs like "social media marketer" or "YouTuber" or "Reality TV Star" and how those things didn't exist just a few years ago. There will be many other new opportunities created that we can't even imagine yet. If Elon Musk continues on the path with SpaceX we may have blue-collar asteroid mining jobs in the near future.

mmcconnell1618

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Apr 2, 2014
Richmond, VA

I would say kids aren't buying the same physical products that we might have bought as children (Legos replaced with Minecraft) but are instead buying digital items or advertising supported items.

With the GDRP regulation in Europe and the realistic possibility of personal data legislation in the US (Facebook, etc.) I think the advertising model might lose market share to a pay-for-use model. Somebody is paying those YouTubers tons of cash to scream into a microphone for two hours. You know they aren't paying them out of the kindness of their hearts.

Clueless Newbie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 7, 2018
New York City
I've been thinking about where America is headed, and when I look 20 years into the future, the Middle Class will be crushed (even more so than it's already been the past 20 years). Public policies will encourage it, and technology will enable it.

As a business owner, I don't want to be serving the Middle Class. And many of us are. The future is low priced goods/services to everyone, or super high priced goods/services to a small group.

What do you think?

*EDITED - removed the word Income Inequality because it makes people crazy.

There is another side to this story:

Middle class might be shrinking in the US but it is expanding really, really fast all over the world. (I'm saying might because not everyone here agreed).

Take a look at the incredible growth of Bejin: 1990 - 2010
shanghai-1990-2010.jpg

What does this mean for fastlaners?
It means that we will have a HUGE pool of people that can afford to pay us for improving their lives.

Let's say you create a kickass app that solves a huge problem.
For example: You create an addictive Iphone/Android game that teaches teenagers math.

Parents from all over the world (in the billions) would be more than happy to give you a $1 or $2 for that app. If you solve a hard problem, it will increasingly become much easier to be mega wealthy.

When economies of scale is involved, the price point can be a little as a dollar.

And, if you're worried about the US middle class shrinking, always remember, when there are huge problems, there are opportunities to provide massive value. May be your business can help people who are left behind join the middle class.

AlasdairM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 20, 2012
[QUOTE="Clueless Newbie, post: 688

shanghai-1990-2010.jpg

It means that we will have a HUGE pool of people that can afford to pay us for improving their lives.

For example: You create an addictive Iphone/Android game that teaches teenagers math.

Parents from all over the world (in the billions) would be more than happy to give you a $1 or $2 for that app. If you solve a hard problem, it will increasingly become much easier to be mega wealthy.

When economies of scale is involved, the price point can be a little as a dollar.

And, if you're worried about the US middle class shrinking, always remember, when there are huge problems, there are opportunities to provide massive value. May be your business can help people who are left behind join the middle class.[/QUOTE]

Think that's Shanghai...but point taken!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I've been thinking about where America is headed, and when I look 20 years into the future, the Middle Class will be crushed (even more so than it's already been the past 20 years). Public policies will encourage it, and technology will enable it.

As a business owner, I don't want to be serving the Middle Class. And many of us are. The future is low priced goods/services to everyone, or super high priced goods/services to a small group.

What do you think?

*EDITED - removed the word Income Inequality because it makes people crazy.

Not a very fastlane mindset if you're worried about 20 years from now, the world will be radically different in every conceivable way in 20 years - get while the getting good so you'll be in a position to dampen the effects to yourself and those you love.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I've spent a lot of time studying the potential impact of automation and artificial intelligence on workers. My initial thought was that this would be really bad on many workers would no longer have any opportunity. However, past industrial revolutions have ended up creating more jobs than they destroyed.
You are missing the MAJOR paradigm shift we'll be facing very soon.

In the past, the buggy-whip manufacturers went out of business. Their workers had to retrain a bit to get a new job, and everything continued as before. As you said, the industrial revolutions created new jobs.

That's changing. In the fairly near future, when automation takes over many jobs, there may not BE other jobs for people to move to. The harsh reality is that a significant percentage of the population, while they may be wonderful people, are not qualified for anything but simple jobs and menial labor -- and many/most of those jobs will be automated. If your job goes to a robot, and your abilities only qualify you for jobs that have already been taken over by other robots, you've got a serious problem. I'd guess within 10 years, 15-20 at the most, around 50% of the people in the country will be UNemployable. They will have NO marketable skills. People who did fairly menial jobs -- truck drivers, customer-service people, etc -- will be replaced by robots of one flavor or another.

We already see this on some levels. Bank tellers have been largely replaced by ATMs. Fast-food jobs are being replaced by order kiosks. Long-haul trucks might not drive themselves just yet, but Tesla and others are developing "train trucks" where one driver drives the lead vehicle, and 2 or 3 trucks follow obediently behind him. Uber has already run live tests of self-driving vehicles, with paying customers. Even doctors and lawyers are dangerously close to being replaced by Watson and similar expert software.

We as a society will have to determine how we maintain a functional society when half our citizens have no way to earn a living. Something like guaranteed income will almost certainly be necessary. But how do you keep all those idle hands from becoming the devil's workshop? "Ready Player One" might not be as fictional as you think...

So we're not there yet, but I think we will be, and sooner than you might think. What services or products could you offer to a bored population with a bit of disposable income and nothing useful to do?

Last edited:
D

Deleted52409

There is another side to this story:

Middle class might be shrinking in the US but it is expanding really, really fast all over the world. (I'm saying might because not everyone here agreed).

shanghai-1990-2010.jpg

And, if you're worried about the US middle class shrinking, always remember, when there are huge problems, there are opportunities to provide massive value. May be your business can help people who are left behind join the middle class.

I see your point but if the american economy collapses every other economy will collapse too. Another problem we have to deal with is that even if we want to go overseas it's nearly impossible to run a profitable fastlane business outside of the United States.

The reason I say this is because as an american citizen you will be subject to worldwide citizenship based taxation regardless of where you live. If you make somewhere over $100,000 in a year you will be forced to pay Uncle Sam right after you pay your host country. Imagine how difficult taxes would be if you had a non american business partner....

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
The future is low priced goods/services to everyone, or super high priced goods/services to a small group.

If you want something, and can afford it... there are only two reasons to buy one offer instead of a different offer. Either it's good enough and costs less, or, it's a chance to pay more to get more in a way that matters to you. I think that's always true in any economy. So you need to decide if your offer will succeed by the power of scaling to the masses, like Ford's Model T, McDonald's, Wal-mart, Android, Motel 6... or will your offer succeed by the power of offering something more appealing to people who can afford to pay more, like Apple, Disney, Rolls-Royce, Ritz-Carlton.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.