The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Like to post a video from your YouTube channel? Want to promote your design service? Recommend a company? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote whatever you'd like within the realm of entrepreneurship on one central thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Business Idea, What do you think?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Ok, so I got this idea the other day because at the exit of the local Airport (where I work) there's always a kid in a wheel chair selling postals and such. I usually buy some and chit chat with him.

The idea:
-Create a cab (taxi) company where drivers would be people in wheel chairs (don't know the word to describe them)

Benefits:
-Cars for this people have less taxes added so they are cheaper than normal cars.
-Business that hire disabled people pay less taxes
-Good public image of the company
-Help people that otherwise can't get jobs (poor education, can't make "muscle" jobs)
-The city needs cabs as the actual quantity is not enough (lots of demand)

Obstacles:
-In order to get professional driver's licenses, disabled people must have a civil license for 2 years before that.
-The government only gives the licenses to this businesses once a year, and they are not enough, so one could buy the cars and make all the paperwork just to get a no for an answer... :coco:

As I said, it's just an idea, but I would love some feedback!

Cheers

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I think it is a great idea. Fills a need. Has great PR. Helps people

Not sure on how you overcome the hurdle, but that is a great job of identifying a niche.

Dynain

PARKED
Dec 25, 2007
Great Idea ..But upfront cost? and City Regs..

Check into it... Smaller city may work good..

D

S928

Contributor
Aug 7, 2007
Jorge, I think it's great that you're trying to help out disabled people. There's a popular Californian company that hires disabled people. The company generates most of its profits from government contracts. If you can go that route, and win contracts, you could make a lot of money. For more ideas, check out their website.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Aug 7, 2007
Jorge, in the Netherlands there is a company called Valid Express that offers courier services. All their drivers have a physical impairment or a chronic disease.
The company has been around now for I guess approximately 10 years and they are doing fine. Thanks to them several people who otherwise would never be able to work have a job. They get lots of PR and won several entrepreneurship prizes.
So, yes go for your idea.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
Aug 12, 2007
Great idea IMO, if you do it nd are successful though, watch out for the Bus Union if there's one, as I rea about a company started up by immigrants. It was minivans and these minivans would drive people to wherever they wanted, far more quickly and efficiently than the bus company (which had to get subsidies to survive).

Well the Bus Union came out full-force and managed to shut down this company because it was competing too much.

So if you are successful, just IMO watch for that. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Thanks for the input guys!

I'm going to do DD and if its doable I'll make a business plan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom