The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business idea for you guys.

Idea threads

bizboy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 25, 2007
Florida
Many businesses are going green to save the planet.

What I would like to see is laundromats that have steam washing machines because they use less water and energy. Also, steam washing machines don't use detergent.

Local media and nationwide media would be all over this, free PR.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
What's the cost differential between a steam washer and a conventional machine? My instinct tells me that your laundromat customers will only care about one thing...cost. Green is a sexy topic in the media right now, but press coverage won't likely be enough to pull customers in your door. IMHO, the demographic that supports most "green" initiatives isn't the same demographic that takes clothes to the laundromat.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
What's the cost differential between a steam washer and a conventional machine? My instinct tells me that your laundromat customers will only care about one thing...cost. Green is a sexy topic in the media right now, but press coverage won't likely be enough to pull customers in your door. IMHO, the demographic that supports most "green" initiatives isn't the same demographic that takes clothes to the laundromat.
I think it could be in the right location. If you find a very liberal city where people are interested in Going Green (i.e., San Francisco maybe?), I could see this working if there's enough marketing surrounded the Green philosophy.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
They don't use detergant? Huh, I didn't know that.... No wonder the steam sets are like $3000 compared to $800 bucks for the standard sets.

Since commercial washer/dryers are already so expensive, I think a steam version would be virtually unaffordable though..... Sadly....

Good idea though!

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
I think it could be in the right location. If you find a very liberal city where people are interested in Going Green (i.e., San Francisco maybe?), I could see this working if there's enough marketing surrounded the Green philosophy.

Perhaps, but I still believe that cost will play a bigger role with most of the target demographic. Success would definitely depend on finding the right location to carve your niche.

michaelscheuren

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 5, 2008
Escanaba, Michigan
what about maintenance of the machines? would it be more expensive to run a steam washer because of the higher heat needed to make the steam? without using detergent, would it take longer to clean the clothes? i do like the idea though.:cheers:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
As Aaron mentioned, I could see this only really succeeding in the Bay Area. Your market would be the prius- driving, wholefoods shopping hippies though. Not exactly a mass market...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.