The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building an App Company

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Been a while since I updated. Well, they ran into a couple bugs so they have been backed up this week. Hopefully it gets straightened out soon. In the mean time I have just been working on figuring out my marketing technique.

I also had some time to think out a couple apps. The next one I am really excited about. It will be a utility app. Pretty simple photo app. I will price is at $0.99. I think it will be a unique app but has a large audience. There are currently no apps that do exactly what I want mine to do, but there are apps in the general category that are very successful (Instagram for example). My marketing plan will be pretty much Facebook groups, twitters, forums, and blogs. One facebook group I want to post it has 10million followers, and its something a large percent if not all would enjoy.

I feel like I am getting better at this. Ha. This app has a distinct need that it fills, people already do this but there is nothing specific for it, and there is a HUGE market.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
Thanks for opening this thread. I picked up chads book yesterday and just about finished my first read through. I am very excited about venture. I have been wanting to start something fastlane and I think this is it. It combines alot of the things I love.

I am a huge technology enthusiast, apple fan and smartphone user.

If anyone wants to get started in this field would love to collaborate

Also I read an marklet research article that said iPads and iPhones(mobile devices) with be outselling personal computers by 2016-2017

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for opening this thread. I picked up chads book yesterday and just about finished my first read through. I am very excited about venture. I have been wanting to start something fastlane and I think this is it. It combines alot of the things I love.

I am a huge technology enthusiast, apple fan and smartphone user.

If anyone wants to get started in this field would love to collaborate

Also I read an marklet research article that said iPads and iPhones(mobile devices) with be outselling personal computers by 2016-2017

This is the same wrong thinking that nearly everybody on this forum, who wants to develop mobile apps, has. You want to develop apps because its cool, you love technology, you're an apple fanboy etc. This is complete bullshit.

The only important thing is: What need will you fill with your app? If you don't have an answer to this right now, then why are you talking about developing apps? Find a need first, then figure out how to fill it: with a mobile app, website, e-commerce store, retail store, etc. Don't start at the end of the equation.

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
Hmmm I don't recall saying I wanted to make apps because it's cool and because I am an apple fanboy.

Your not adding much to this thread other than posting negative energy.

You assume I am getting into this without any knowledge behind me. I am well aware that I need to provide need for the market place

Thanks for stopping by

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
theag said:
The only important thing is: What need will you fill with your app? If you don't have an answer to this right now, then why are you talking about developing apps? Find a need first, then figure out how to fill it: with a mobile app, website, e-commerce store, retail store, etc. Don't start at the end of the equation.

I am taking all these things into consideration. I am working on my market research for the app ideas I have.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Hmmm I don't recall saying I wanted to make apps because it's cool and because I am an apple fanboy.
No, you formulated it in a different way.
picked up chads book yesterday
combines alot of the things I love
huge technology enthusiast, apple fan and smartphone user

You assume I am getting into this without any knowledge behind me
Yes, I am absolutely assuming that, because you "picked up chads book yesterday"

Your not adding much to this thread other than posting negative energy.
I'm adding realism.

Have a look at this thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/id...fore-you-become-app-billionaire-consider.html

Thanks for stopping by

No problem. Good luck becoming an app millionaire.

Last edited by a moderator:

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
Have a look at my other posts and you might find a post I created 5 months ago regarding my app idea. This isn't something I just thought About doing yesterday. Founding chads book yesterday has given me a great in depth look at process of what lies ahead in this market.

Getting wealthy is everyone's intentions around here. If its not in the app business it's somewhere else. It's a journey

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Have a look at my other posts and you might find a post I created 5 months ago regarding my app idea. This isn't something I just thought About doing yesterday. Founding chads book yesterday has given me a great in depth look at process of what lies ahead in this market.

Getting wealthy is everyone's intentions around here. If its not in the app business it's somewhere else. It's a journey

So, why didn't you start the process on your app idea in the last 5 months?

Tony71

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 21, 2011
Irvine, CA
Theag,

maybe chad article gave him some ideas that it is not hard to develop an app. The same with me, I had a game in mind but didn't know much about developing, was about to put it aside until I read chads article.

Trust me there are apps out which provide no value at all but people buy it, one is the one chad created which was the scanner which to be provide no value but hey he sold and made over half a million.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Quick update.

Got an update for my game app. Coming along nicely, should be done soon. Hopefully next week.

Also working on getting my 2nd app started. Going through the same dev. Going to send the wireframe to him today and get a final quote and hopefully starting it tomorrow.

Marketing for my 2nd app I feel is 100x stronger than my first. I have been going on facebook, blogs, websites, etc and emailing them telling them I have an app I am working on and tell them I will send them a promo code if they mind doing a review on it for me. So far I have facebook groups over 550k worth of fans that said they would help (one page has 440k but they just said to contact them when its out so I didn't include that number, so up to a million right now). Then I have a couple large blogs that said they would help but I am not sure what their exact audience number is. And it is targeted audience so I think a good amount will download it and so far the few I have talked to about it said they will continually use it. I wrote a couple large facebook company pages, 3.6mil and 8.7mil followers. I think there is a possibility for the 3.6 to share it, maybe, I hope lol. Another group is 11.7m and has a huge TV show, I plan to send a PR package when it is released. I have a ton of other groups/blogs/sites I am waiting to hear back from and need to contact. Many many millions worth of targeted viewers.

Revenue for it will solid. The app will be priced at $.99 to start, I will have ads in some spots and will most likely put in a few IAP to add some more.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Tonight I think was pretty good. I was working on sending messages to facebook groups again. All groups combined I emailed probably have 4.5-5mil fans, I'm sure many overlap though. So far, I've already heard back from a few for a combined 150k fans. For this app, I think this is the easiest way to get in front of peoples eyes. Sure, people will see if just being in the app store but that won't be enough. Tomorrow I am going to finish up hiring the dev and creating a timeline, find more facebook groups, email some websites/blogs I have in my list, and setup my social networking pages.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Today I worked on creating a few new sound files for the game app. I wasn't happy with a couple so I wanted to change them. Also emailed the dev to find out when it will be finished. I realize they hit a snag a couple weeks ago but hopefully it will be done soon.

Also did a few more emails on the next app. I probably sent another 10 tonight, I am going to do some more now. I heard back from a couple. A couple decent size sites/blogs said they would check it out and a larger facebook group(85k fans) is looking forward to it. I don't hear back from everyone but its a numbers game, the more emails I send, the more I will get to review/share it.

Finally finished talking out all the details of the app and now waiting to see if they accept the price I threw at them. Hopefully they do so we can get started asap. I wanted to be starting on it earlier this week but there was a lot of back and forth to figure everything out. They said it would probably be a 6-7 week development time, I am going to set the milestones based on a 5 or 6 week deadline. If I give them 7 weeks with the milestones, it will take 7 weeks if not longer. I want to try and push them but not too much and sacrifice quality.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks, I keep getting more and more excited myself. This morning I woke up and heard back from a couple facebook groups and site. The 2 facebook groups alone have about 1.5m fans combined, plus the site, a lot of eyes will see it.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Got the dev hired. Going with the same one who is doing my first one. I hired someone else to do the app icon though. I am getting 3 made, so I have some choice on which to use and if I want to change it is quick. Should have some sketches on Monday. Asked my buddy to make a loading/logo screen. Kid works wonders with Photoshop, if anyone is a fan of the DuPont REGISTRY page on facebook, I'm sure you've seen his work. I told him he could use his pictures and put a small logo of his company at the bottom.

Also emailed a few more sites. Heard back from a huge blog that said they will take a look at it. Couple other smaller groups also said they would. Everything is going fairly well so far. Big thing this week is to get a facebook page up and start getting some followers. I have roughly 2 months until it is released.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Got the dev hired. Going with the same one who is doing my first one. I hired someone else to do the app icon though. I am getting 3 made, so I have some choice on which to use and if I want to change it is quick. Should have some sketches on Monday. Asked my buddy to make a loading/logo screen. Kid works wonders with Photoshop, if anyone is a fan of the DuPont REGISTRY page on facebook, I'm sure you've seen his work. I told him he could use his pictures and put a small logo of his company at the bottom.

Also emailed a few more sites. Heard back from a huge blog that said they will take a look at it. Couple other smaller groups also said they would. Everything is going fairly well so far. Big thing this week is to get a facebook page up and start getting some followers. I have roughly 2 months until it is released.

2nd time around should be 100x easier once you know what to expect from the first one

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Not much of an update. More of the same. Finishing up on the first app. I did get some app icon designs today. I am getting 3 total so I can change them. Here are a couple of the designs though.

Attachments

• CarStop-IC-02a.jpg
    CarStop-IC-02a.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 160

W( )LF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 13, 2012
Top right one looks good. The white car stand out and the background is something more than just a black background.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
They don't look very refined.Is that a rough draft or what they would provide for the finished product?

Tarheelfan2009

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 15, 2012
They don't look very refined.Is that a rough draft or what they would provide for the finished product?

I like the icon with the white car and the colored background. I agree with Jake though, they don't look very polished or crisp (which I understand if they are rough drafts). The app icon is interesting and I like that concept you are using...makes me want to find out more about what the app does.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
They are rough drafts. I get as man revisions as I like before I have the finals made. I'm actually not a fan of the gold background, I was planning to have one of them be the bottom left. I am changing the way the camera looks though. Also, going to make the green lambo more of a lime green so it isn't so dark and pops more.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
So the first app is 100% funded at this point. Finishing up the last details and fixing all of the bugs.

The other app is coming along, I got the wireframe today and it looks amazing. Quality is definitely top notch so it will make for some awesome screenshots. Also should get the next set of icons to review today. Hopefully this time they are good and we can start the finals. Started the facebook group last night so have to finish doing some tweaking on that. I'd like to get a few thousand fans before launch. I think that will be possible. I checked through the ad thing on their, my targeted group was about 16 million and that was me limited countries and a few other things.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Had my buddy build app 2 a logo screen tonight.

If anyone wants work done, I can get you his contact info. This is far from his best work too.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 11.07.11 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 11.07.11 PM.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 162

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Seems to me like building an app building company right now would be a good bet.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Got a good amount done in August.

My first app, Bully Revenge, is taking longer than expected. I have found that games see more bugs than I thought. I'm hoping we are almost done though, I would rather take longer and make sure all the bugs are worked out. For next month I need to make a video of it so when I email reviewers I have it to include.

My 2nd app, CarSpy, is coming along great. Progress is up-to-date and so far we have not hit too many problems, everything has been small and quick fixes. Since this app is more utility, it think there are less bugs to run into. We haven't gotten to the server work yet but I am hoping we continue this pace.

I did start the site for this app, until more features are worked out, I can't add much more now. You can check the site out here (CarSpy | Car Spotting App). The facebook page is also on the site down at the bottom. Now my next task is to start contacting a lot of tech sites and whatnot to try and get them to do an article. I want to get the site out there, get some people to sign up for the email list, and build that up.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Interesting. How's everything going. I have a project on the back burner at present that will, ultimately, need an app. I just haven't figured out how to monetize the whole project yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.