The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Self-Promotion Saturday Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Building a website

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
So I want to build a website to promote my product and services but haven't made said product or service yet. Should I wait to build the service and product first and then build the website or do it at the same time?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Definitely build the product (prototype) and show it so people that it could help in order to validate the idea; as there's no point making a website for a product people may not want. Or you shoud build a landing page to check if people are interested in the service
  • Like a Sign Up to Our Newsletter or Subscribe to Our Newsletter to Get Notified When Our Product Launches. If people enter their email, it suggests that they are interested in your product/service.

Adam VanBuskirk

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
As mentioned in Unscripted, I would write a simple website (or even a single web page) where people can signup and show their interest in purchasing your product once out. You can then push traffic to it with ads and test your product and market before designing a robust website or product / service.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
As mentioned in Unscripted, I would write a simple website (or even a single web page) where people can signup and show their interest in purchasing your product once out. You can then push traffic to it with ads and test your product and market before designing a robust website or product / service.
Exactly. Idea validation is important as you must always create a product based on the market's mind (a product people want) as you are just wasting time by creating a product that people were never interested in.

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Simple landing page to validate the idea should suffice. Don't forget to put some "stepping stone" there to make sure that people are actually interested. Simple email collection or just "Buy" button leading to some "Coming soon" page would work.

We're currently testing market by looking for open telegram groups with topics related to our potential customers and manually cold-messaging them with some small chat funnel that hopefully makes them think that were also looking for a solution and leading them to our telegram group. The chat takes a few minutes per lead but gives good results so far. Just don't spam them in the face with Ad-spam-looking message ;)

Good luck & have fun!

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Just realized... Are you able to provide your service now without any employees and tools/equipment involved? If so try to sell the service directly to prospects without any kind of website and other kinds of promotion or validation.

This would be the best validation.

And the product can wait.

OP
OP
Brian Suh

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
Would I have to buy a pr
would I have to buy a premium website builder or should I just purchase a free one and upgrade it once I have a product? How do I even start an email list?

Devilery

Contributor
Feb 11, 2019
Or just download wordpress, buy a domain (~15$ a year) and hosting (~$5 a month), get a builder. I use Divi (100$ a year - worth it) and it has over 100 ready templates, there could even be one for your business.

Stargazer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 8, 2018
England
If you don't have a product or service then what are you wanting a website for?

Your post reads as if you do not even have one in mind.

Dan

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Or just download wordpress, buy a domain (~15$ a year) and hosting (~$5 a month), get a builder. I use Divi (100$ a year - worth it) and it has over 100 ready templates, there could even be one for your business.
Wix is way easier for beginners, you could have a wix landing page up in a an hour. While wordpress is superior, there is a bit of a learning curve and even the extra $100 for divi is not needed.

Adam VanBuskirk

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Would I have to buy a pr

would I have to buy a premium website builder or should I just purchase a free one and upgrade it once I have a product? How do I even start an email list?
I’m a web developer, so I write my sites from scratch. You could use WordPress, but if it was me I would learn a small bit of php, html, css and use jquery. Purchase hosting at dreamhost for like $5 or $10/month. Write a one page sales / sign up page. Use Mailchimp for your email list. Up to 1000 emails for free. When someone submits your form, just have the script email you the form fields. Then manually punch them in mail chimp.

I use a mysql db and auto-populate my mailchimp list through an api call in my php Page / signup, but you could do that later if your product testing proves good.

Good luck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
For those with the "can web design be Fastlane" question this video by @MJ DeMarco is a great...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom