The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brits get rich in China

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
Just wanted to post this video about 3 entrepreneurs who go to China on business. While it will be interesting to those who have any dealings with importing from China I think all entrepreneurs will find value in it.

There is a cushion manufacturer who is having to move production from Liverpool to stay competitive, an inventor who is looking for someone to make and distribute his invention and a guy who manufactures and imports kitchens.

It's well worth a watch when you have some downtime, only an hour long. It's not the best quality but definitely worth sticking with.

When you press play it starts at 20mins in - not sure why, just drag the slider back to the start to play from the beginning.

N.B. The guy who imports kitchens is from my hometown, we all sound like that

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I used to watch this for motivation. That guy that does MMA and business is absolutely insane. Definitely someone I want to emulate!

AntonyS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 4, 2015
Thanks for sharing this. From the UK myself and I found it very inspirational. The guy selling kitchens had me in stitches at times!

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
Great documentary, learnt a few things about China. Googled the kitchen man from Rochdale, he is known as "The Kitchen Gangster". If anyone is interested there is a documentary on you tube

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
That final deal gave me chills...

Me too. When it said he borrowed £2m to build a factory and nothing was happening I was thinking 'oh dear' - then it finally gets done and his first deal is $3m

The cockney accent is from London. That guy sounds Like he's from Bolton.

Near enough, he's from Rochdale, about 12 miles West

Great documentary, learnt a few things about China. Googled the kitchen man from Rochdale, he is known as "The Kitchen Gangster". If anyone is interested there is a documentary on you tube

I think that shows he is a good businessman but needs a lot of work in the management area - as he admits.

More recently than that trading standards went into Maple Mill, seized a load of quads/jet skis/equipment/cash and took him to court. It turned out the guy from the local trading standards, who kept raising all the issues against Vance got taken to court for harassment and was found to have a vendetta against Vance.

Vance received all his money and goods back but got zero compensation but then someone burnt down his factory, house and £600k holiday home. His factory, stock and holiday home was't insured because he was having to trade as a sole trader and no-one would touch him because of his past. (all picked up from local newspapers. I've trained in his gym but I don't actually have any connection with the guy.)

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
someone burnt down his factory, house and £600k holiday home.

This is what happens when you come in selling something for 100$ when people next door are getting them from the factory/wholesalers at 200$ .

This guy is a beast doing business in China, the way he built his supply chain is amazing.

If he had the same skills for management & operations he would be far better off, not discrediting him a tall, shipping hundreds of kitchens a day isn't for everyone...

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Brilliant share, Vance Millers a true hard working northerner who's had more than his share of obstacles but risen above to build a kitchen empire. He not only owns kitchen factories he owns, oak forests and a granite mine he's totally in control. If you read his website there's a lot of great information on true grit & determination http://www.vance-miller.co.uk

Vance Miller Guide To China

Official Advice
"Take no notice of bureaucratic pricks. Whatever the Brits say about China is to put you off. They are not going to tell you anything to make your life easy out there."

Eating Out
"Chinese hospitality is simply a way of winning you over and bullshitting you. It's brainwashing. Most people who go out there are not the bosses; they have to report to the big boss. Once they've been wined, dined and wenched, most foolish naïve English guys fall for it."

Watch your organs!
"I was once staying in a hotel, when there was a commotion in the room down the corridor. Turns out there was a guy who had woken up in an ice bath with a note on his chest. It said 'Go and find a doctor. We have taken your kidney'. He'd been out drinking with some guys the night before and they drugged him."

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
im only halfway done with the video but DAM ITS INTERESTING STUFF!!!

edit:
finished watching.... rep transferred.

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What would it take to get companies to do manufacturing in the US instead of outsourcing to China?

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
What would it take to get companies to do manufacturing in the US instead of outsourcing to China?

Just a few off the top of my hat:
  • Have the same or lower cost of production for the same quality of a given item
  • Have the same or lower cost in getting the item from the factory to its final destination
  • And, if opening a factory, have a pool of talent and staff that will produce the same or more for every dollar spent on personnel (productivity per dollar).
And those last two are the hard bits, China has a lot of people with a lot of experience making "stuff" and has massive modern ports, railways and airports to get the goods to their final destination.

Nobody from the West goes to China for the ease of doing business, but their infrastructure is just set up for it. On a massive scale.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.