The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book Recommendation for Beginning Investors?

For any book discussion

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Hey guys,

Its been awhile since ive been on here, good to be back. So im a sophomore in college (19 yrs old), finance and entrepreneurship major. My ideal career would be to have my own financial firm, investments, planning etc. I want to get my CFA and CFP in the future.

But right now, I dont have a whole lot of experience in finance or investing as my major specific classes in school havent really ramped up yet. So im looking for book recommendations for someone who is wanting to get into stock, hedge fund, options investments and all that good stuff. I have some basic knowledge but not a whole lot, so I want a book that will teach me the terminology and all that good stuff like P/E ratio, volume, cap, beta, etc.

Any recommendations??

Thanks
Jake

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The first investing book you should read is "The Intelligent Investor" by Ben Graham. It should be required reading in every investing or finance course. It goes through the basics at a level that is easy to understand (I was 12 when I read it and will probably be giving it another read here shortly).

Now, if your ideal career is owning a financial firm, this forum might not be the best place for you. Most of us sell stuff and focus on the 'starting a business' aspect of things. How can a 19 year old with no experience know that he wants to own a financial firm that does asset planning and investing?

To get experience, I recommend first reading the book, and then reading more books on different subjects within investing. Get a job working in the industry somehow. Also, follow @Rickson9 on the forum. He doesn't post much, but his stuff is gold for someone like you.

Good luck.

KarakDrazh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 18, 2014
The first investing book you should read is "The Intelligent Investor" by Ben Graham. It should be required reading in every investing or finance course. It goes through the basics at a level that is easy to understand (I was 12 when I read it and will probably be giving it another read here shortly).

Now, if your ideal career is owning a financial firm, this forum might not be the best place for you. Most of us sell stuff and focus on the 'starting a business' aspect of things. How can a 19 year old with no experience know that he wants to own a financial firm that does asset planning and investing?

To get experience, I recommend first reading the book, and then reading more books on different subjects within investing. Get a job working in the industry somehow. Also, follow @Rickson9 on the forum. He doesn't post much, but his stuff is gold for someone like you.

Good luck.
Good book recommendation, totally agree!

Your second part I don't really understand how you think. In what way would it be any different to start that kind of company? Why would he even need to know anything about stocks or have experienced in the field to build a successful business?

It for sure would help with ton of knowledge and experience, but there is always different routes to take.

Keep hanging in the forum and read a lot, and you might get more ideas on how you can make your dream a reality!

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
In stocks?

Darvas "How I made $2 Million in the stock market"

Jesse Livermores are good stories about the madness of crowds.

Tharp's a good one on trading physchology.

I wouldn't waste any time on the technical stuff. There's very little logic to it

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
more of a blessing i.m.h.o.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get experience, I recommend first reading the book, and then reading more books on different subjects within investing. Get a job working in the industry somehow. Also, follow @@Rickson9 on the forum. He doesn't post much, but his stuff is gold for someone like you.

Good luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RyanGrant

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 11, 2014
UK
about 2 years ago I was interested in investing on the stock market so ive brought loads of books on the subject. the best ive read so far is
The intelligent investor by Benjamin Graham (a value investing author)
Security analysis (same guy) (note:its a very complex book)
Your money and your brain by Jason Zweig (its neuro economics I found it very interesting)
common stocks uncommon profits by Phillip fisher (that's about growth investing)

I have brought a few more recently which I have heard is good but haven't arrived in the post yet
Investing between the lines by L.J. Rittenhouse (about decoding company communications)
Financial Shenanigans by Howard Schilit (about detecting fraud)

I noticed you where on about owning a financial firm A book ive partly read and recommend is
Questions great financial advisors ask...and investors need to know by Alan Parisse

P.S. there is great online resources such as virtual stock markets which teach the terminology I use to use Wallstreetsurvivor those have courses, terminology etc. ive also got some other books which I havnt gone through if I find them good I repost them here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.