The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best secondary domain marketplace for buying/selling??

Anything related to investing, including crypto

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was wondering if anyone had an experience with buying/selling in the secondary domain marketplaces.

Is there any preferred venue for the best prices? Either on the buy or sell side?

Some of the major marketplaces:

GoDaddy, Sedo, Flippa, Afternic, DomainNameSales

Just curious to hear if anyone has any experience they'd like to share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

I've done this only once. So others here have much more experience than me with this but what I was told was that if I wanted a domain bad enough to apply for it on all of the auction venues, which I did, but then some a**hole in Colorado, who's a domain squatter, has software that's faster than the rest and chances are excellent he'll end up getting it and then listing it for thousands --- which is what happened in my situation.

My thought is put the bid in at the last minute so its not sitting up there for a length of time for others to see

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
I've only had experience buying Domains. I've purchased from Godaddy Auctions as well as Namejet. (I haven't purchased from either platform in a little over a year). I've gotten some decent investments from both platforms for a reasonable price.

However, I probably wouldn't buy from NameJet for a while (Possibly Ever) until they get there shill bidding under control.
Source: Bidding on your own names at NameJet...?

In terms of Sell side I have heard good things about DomainNameSales. They are more of a broker and try to get full value as opposed to some of the Auction platforms which seem to garner wholesale values. Some of the deals I purchased on NameJet and Godaddy were for less than $100 but had estibot values between $5,000 and $14,000 so keep that in mind when selling:rage: or buying:).

So if you have domains that an end user would pay a premium for I would definitely consider DomainNameSales. In addition the higher value the domain the more outbound marketing they do.

Edit:
Namebio.com is a database site that shows records of all publicly sold domain names. It definitely helps in regards to research and what type of domains do well on certain platforms.

Last edited:

roy_mittal

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 27, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I just bought two websites from Flippa,with Good niches making good money passively.
My whole MOTO was to learn about website and its functionalities because I have done Masters in Information Technology and I don't know shit about fully functional website and How it works ? and How all programming language is connected with each other?

you see, I was more focused on getting good grads in subjects than learning but it never struck me how am I gonna use it in real life?
Right now, I am in the process of transferring my websites under my hosting and I F*cking leaned all the new SQL queries and web technology which I was not aware of that two under week.

I would highly recommend to Buy and sell websites on Flippa just to get your hands dirty and learn UPDATED WEB-TECHOLOGY WHICH THEY DO NOT CARE TO TEACH YOU IN UNIVERSITY, it just cost you $100 and you will learn more than any IT graduate.
I was living in bubble saying "ohhhh Buying Websites!! I got this " But no I did not get it at first and I am still learning,

Do not live in the bubble of Degree certificates, it is just a paper saying you are good employee material.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
I buy domains either through Sedo or I check the whois records and email the administrative contact directly. Flippa is great for buying websites (with established traffic/revenue) as it gives you the fundamental due diligence info you need.

Domains with a value up to 4-figures can be sold on the Sedo marketplace. Anything above the 4-figures and you can use the Sedo brokerage service. This also applies when you're looking to acquire a domain that will be 5-figures+. Sedo can then act as the buying party by setting up contact with the domain owner and act as your proxy. I've sold a few ES TLD domains through the Sedo brokers reaching out to me.

Needless to say, they will put the money in escrow to ensure no funny business happens.

You can check the DNJournal to see high-profile sales of domains - and notice that Sedo is the selling party 90% of the time:
.CA Leads ccTLD Assault on This Week's Sales Chart - Canadian Domains Take Top Two Spots with 5 More Going to Other ccTLDs

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Hey MJ, I do domain investing as a side hobby, just bought a few this week actually.

I recommend Namejet and Snapnames (most of my purchases are off NJ). If you're looking at snatching dropped domains, Drop Catch has worked well for me. Another site which I just found out about is Pool.com, never used them though, worth looking at.

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I recommend Namejet and Snapnames (most of my purchases are off NJ). If you're looking at snatching dropped domains, Drop Catch has worked well for me. Another site which I just found out about is Pool.com, never used them though, worth looking at.
I like Snapnames, there's a LOT of garbage on there but definitely the occasional diamond. I picked up OnlineDiscounts.com for pretty cheap awhile back, along with a few other little treasures over the years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.