The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Before partnering up with someone on a business, ask yourself this...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Pritesh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Feb 18, 2020
Do you REALLY, REALLY need that person?

You can tell everyone anything you want but, when it comes to yourself, you’d better be 100% honest!
Evaluating yourself is the hardest thing to do but, it’s the only way you can truly find the problem, are you looking for a partner just because you're too lazy to do his part of the work by yourself?

Does he bring a certain specilization to the equation? If you can go on without him or hire someone as a one time gig or retainer to do the things he specializes in, do that. Or better yet, learn and do it yourself.
Time is never an excuse, you do not have to be perfect at something the first time.

Since you've all read MJ's books, I am assuming you are willing to put the work in and have a go-getters mindset, but here's the thing...
Not everyone is wired that way. Having a business partner who doesn't match your pace, will slow you down, will slow the business down and leave you miserable.

I've worked with 3 people so far, every time convincing myself that it will be better this time around. Spoiler alert: It wasn't

Procrastination and laziness is the biggest problem and there is no way to confront a partner to get off that without sounding confrontational.
You don't want to be splitting profits 50-50 when you're the one putting in 90% of the work. Ask yourself this, does the partner really justify the 50% share of the profits?

Buying out your partner's share of a successful business when you know he hasn't contributed an equal amount is the worst feeling you could go through. I really hope none of you here have to go through that.

Well this is a place to share lessons so just wanted to drop my 2c.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Do you REALLY, REALLY need that person?

You can tell everyone anything you want but, when it comes to yourself, you’d better be 100% honest!
Evaluating yourself is the hardest thing to do but, it’s the only way you can truly find the problem, are you looking for a partner just because you're too lazy to do his part of the work by yourself?

Does he bring a certain specilization to the equation? If you can go on without him or hire someone as a one time gig or retainer to do the things he specializes in, do that. Or better yet, learn and do it yourself.
Time is never an excuse, you do not have to be perfect at something the first time.

Since you've all read MJ's books, I am assuming you are willing to put the work in and have a go-getters mindset, but here's the thing...
Not everyone is wired that way. Having a business partner who doesn't match your pace, will slow you down, will slow the business down and leave you miserable.

I've worked with 3 people so far, every time convincing myself that it will be better this time around. Spoiler alert: It wasn't

Procrastination and laziness is the biggest problem and there is no way to confront a partner to get off that without sounding confrontational.
You don't want to be splitting profits 50-50 when you're the one putting in 90% of the work. Ask yourself this, does the partner really justify the 50% share of the profits?

Buying out your partner's share of a successful business when you know he hasn't contributed an equal amount is the worst feeling you could go through. I really hope none of you here have to go through that.

Well this is a place to share lessons so just wanted to drop my 2c.

Having partners isn’t bad... your partnerships sucked because of the situation you forced yourself into.

I’d suggest reading Founders Dilemma and the Slicing Pie Handbook

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.