The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Becoming AYoungLady Part Entrepreneurship: Procrastination - please help??

Anything related to matters of the mind

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hey there everyone:

I'm taken back by all the success, and potential success, I've found here! Truly amazing - slightly intimidating (dare I say) - but, amazing nonetheless.

Someone recommended I read The Millionaire Fastlane . Upon researching, I came across this Gem. If you all will have me, I'd love to become a regular member of your forum?

Usually, I would've lurked for a few months, contemplated signing up and then lurked some more however, in my bid to rid myself of my horrid habit: procrastinating, I'm doing it today.

Next week, I buy the book. I would love any suggestions on anything you feel I would benefit from - I hope book recommendations are allowed?

With only a few months until I'm an official YoungLady, my goal of starting my first
endeavor (for lack of words; launch.. no, start-up, maybe??) are very much approaching :(:(. I hope to have sold my first product by my 18th birthday (compromise: new years 2014). Hehehe, I said it - sorry I'm usually very private; forgive me. Am I a big dreamer? Yes. Do I think this is possible? Perhaps. Am I scared? Definitely. However, do you think it is something that can realistically be done?

No more procrastinating for me - well, I know that it is easier said than done so..

Please help??

What is a good activity to help stop/ reduce procrastination?
When did you first start your journey into entrepreneurism?
Please feel free to add your questions/ ask me anything :).

More questions to come so, anyone who would like to help A'wide-eyed'YoungLady/ experience said YoungLady (oh no: almost wrote lustily :blushing: ) - moderately, haha - listening to your every word.. pleaseee help.

Hope you all enjoy your day, thank you for reading.

I'm off to imagine all of your accents and look for a big pen a book.

-AYoungLady x

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Good afternoon Vigilante,

I hope you're well? Thank you for responding so quickly! Love the link, I will pass it on promptly! However for me, I'd prefer to read it all - no teasers, haha.

Also, thank you for your warning! I'll be careful - promise. I'll try not to disturb you Mr. Moderator.

Take care,

-AYoungLady.

Last thing, your Avatar is just what I needed!!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
The best way to defeat procrastination is to stop talking and DO IT.

Talking about how to stop procrastination is procrastination in itself.

Sometimes it's best to sit down and set a schedule for yourself based on the things you KNOW are good for your life. If you KNOW it's good to work for 3 hours a night on your business... put it on the list. If you KNOW it's good to disconnect from the internet, make sure you also put that on the list.

You have to learn to force yourself to do things that are good for you, despite your immediate emotions, feelings, and compulsions.

I wrote a post that focused on forcing yourself to work good. It's called "Finding Your Inner Zen While Ignoring Your Inner Toddler"

PS:
Are you a native english speaker?
I find the way you write peculiar.

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hey DennisDuty,

Answering your last question first: Having lived in London my whole life, English my first and only language - at the moment :(. Interesting - no one's said that before. I like the way I write but, I have been working since I was 15/16 so, I've taught myself grammar, structure ect through reading. Is there anything I'm doing wrong??

Thank you for your post, I'm reading it now.

I understand what you are saying but, again, it's easier said than done. <-- Nope, scrap that.. you're write.. I'll write that list now!!

Now, where to start.... :confused:

- AYoungLady

SUKI

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 4, 2013
Seattle, Wa
Welcome to the forum. I am new to this as well but have been following it for over a year. Definitely finish reading the Fast Lane first. It could change the way you feel about procrastinating and so much more.

I agree with DennisDuty that you just need to go for it but don't let excuses like a lack of plan or capital slow you down. Take it one step at a time, resolve the problem as it comes, and your procrastination will start to fade away on its own.

Good luck & I look forward to hearing your plans in the future.

Vidar

Business Ninjette
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jun 22, 2013
Utah
Hi AYoungLady,

I'm brand new as well, but listen to what SUKI said: "Definitely finish reading the Fast Lane first. It could change the way you feel about procrastinating and so much more."

You need to read it with an open mind about yourself and your habits, so that you don't just pass on things that you don't feel like apply to you. We all hate to admit faults/ mistakes/ wrong assumptions, but acknowledging and learning from those things is the only way to change the road we're on.

As for procrastination, I'm Expert-Level :p when I get the chance. I have to have a goal to work towards, to keep focused on... otherwise, I'm rather excellent at reading failblog and looking at pictures of cats for hours at a time D: Also, turn off the TV! It works wonders.

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
If you have trouble getting to work, then writing down what you have to do and when you will do it can help. I usually break my day up into 1 or 2 hour blocks.

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Good morning!

Oh my, a procrastinating surgical Ninjette! Hehe, hey Vidar.

You and SUKI are right, I will buy the book today! I'll also look at the book thread to see if there're any others I should pick up whilst at it. As of next week, I no longer work in my office so, this will be my last luxury spend :(.

I, like you, have to set goals to stay focus. I always seem to sideline everything helping others. Maybe that's my way around it? My list didn't look so good :blushing:. It's nice to meet another Expert-Level Procrastinator! Haha.

Gosh, more than familiar with feeling old at such a young age too.. My work-days are from 0530am to 1930pm and the youngest person in my office (besides myself) is in her late 30's. I hope you don't mind me following your journey? I would like my products to help people too!!

Best of luck and can't wait to hear more. xx

-AYoungLady

TV for you, laptop for me. I've been buying and selling from the age of 13/14 on this thing, so turning it off?? I'll keep you posted, hehe. x

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hi SUKI

Forgive me for not replying sooner. Thank you for your advice. You're are right: one step at a time.

Again, thank you for your wishes and I'll be following you too.

All the best

-AYoungLady x

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hello there CEBenz:

Thank you; I'm on it and that car is amazing --> I secretly love the things :Coy:.

-AYoungLady xx

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Thanks for responding Capital

One or two hour blocks? Do you have an example??

Thanks again!

-AYoungLady

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Welcome YoungLady!

You've taken some great first steps to becoming successful -- Joining the forum, purchasing the book, applying for the Young Entrepreneurs Mastermind. I have no doubt you have the motivation down, now it's time for you to get going. Don't make the mistake of learning TOO much (as foolish as it may sound). There will come a point when you will have read about every business idea ever discovered, but what is that knowledge if you have no real world experience?

The best way to learn is by doing.

Although I just stated that reading can come in excess, I still have a few recommendations:
- The 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

To answer your questions...

What is a good activity to help stop/ reduce procrastination?
A lot of people have posted methods to reducing procrastination, and while I think they are great and have the ability to do wonders; I think the real reduction of procrastination comes from the creation of motivation.

I increase my motivation by envisioning myself where I want to be when my businesse(s) take off. One particular image is me sitting in a thatched roof bungalow in Maldives in the sun, relaxing and reading a book. Another is me walking out of my local high end malls with multiple bags from Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Hermés, Ferragamo, and Burberry with a smile on my face. Although the second one is extremely materialistic it gives me the motivation to get going so I can turn these fantasies into realities.

Like a few others have mentioned before, lists are good. Especially a to-do list for each day or for a given week. Pair the detailed list of what needs to get done with a cup of tea/coffee or a glass of water, and some quiet music that stimiulates the brain without interrupting thought and soon enough you will enter a state of mind where time will fly by and the work will get done. Once you complete your work you will realize how powerful this state of mind was and it will compel you to duplicate the surroundings and try again the next day with new tasks. This state of mind is referred to as "Flow".

When did you first start your journey into entrepreneurism?
Unofficially probably age 5 when I would sell my old and unused toys in order to get money for new ones. Or when I would start a lemonade stand on my street and ended up expanding from lemonade to other food/beverage products as well.

Officially probably around age 14 or 15 when I really gained interest in business. Note: I'm currently 17. My love for business and entrepreneurialism developed over time. It would start for learning to hustle and make money in the little things I did, expanded to wanting to never have to work, and has grown into a love for particular industries.

Glad to have you here!

D

DeletedUser2

welcome!

Get it done!

your mantra for the day, is

is what I am doing right now, getting me closer to my goal of my first customer, or am I just being busy to make myself fell better?

say that 3-10 times a day,
and

you will get your first sale this year.

Z

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Hey

Thank you InLikeFlint.

Motivation, I believe, isn't my biggest problem. People know me as working too hard; giving 100% where 50% might be sufficient: working, cooking, learning new things ect. . I'm finding my problem is more getting round to do things. Think prioritizing. But I am slowly changing, I had booked yesterday and today as time off a while ago but my plans fell though so I've had time to get a lot of things done.

Don't make the mistake of learning TOO much (as foolish as it may sound). There will come a point when you will have read about every business idea ever discovered, but what is that knowledge if you have no real world experience?
This I'm guilty of! I have folders of notes.. plans.. things I've learnt that I never get round to actually doing. I have to add doing something with these folders to my list (I had another go at writing one - more goal orientated - and this time it's working extremely well. Thanks everyone!

As for your recommendations, I'll definitely look into these later today.

Goodness, five?! I started a littleee later than yourself. I used to buy drinks.. make sandwiches and bake treats and sell them to everyone in the playground as packed lunches. Well, until I got busted.

But I "officially" started around the same time as you.. on eBay.

Woops, need to get back to work but, thanks again for responding.

Will continue following you

-AYoungLady

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
Morning!

Love, love, love it zen*******. I'm going to create a poster and put it above my bed.. A weekly Mantra!

God bless you (forgive me - habit) for the wishes.

Take care!

-AYoungLady

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Hello there CEBenz:

Thank you; I'm on it and that car is amazing --> I secretly love the things :Coy:.

-AYoungLady xx

It's on my goals list. :)

Zen's suggestion above is excellent! I tend to listen every time he speaks.

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
If your problem is getting things done, this could help..

Write a daily to-do list, of the top 2-3 things that will help you get to your goal (first sale, etc). And give yourself hell if you dont meet your goals that day. I've found that being genuinely and strictly honest with yourself goes along way.

Just do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9c0RAz678

AYoungLady

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 6, 2013
England
The video's really, really good. Thanks for introducing it to me.
Write a daily to-do list, of the top 2-3 things that will help you get to your goal (first sale, etc). And give yourself hell if you dont meet your goals that day.
This may work, I'll try it this week. Thanks again for your input brycer9.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.