The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Back to Maui

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Hey welcome!

I'd like to start off by giving this progress thread some context by providing my own background.

I was born on the beautiful island of Maui 19 years ago, a Chilean mother and gringo dad. Maui became home base to a series of "Vacations" that became year long stays on distant shores.

I went to school and learnt the language for a year in Italy, Bali, Brazil and my whole high school education in Chile. The year 2013 I graduated from high school, took the Chilean equivalent of SAT's and took off the day after on a plane OGG bound (Kahului, Maui).

The original plan was to stay from December-March then fly back for College which in this hemisphere begins in March.
Boom me from living my whole life with family to me on my own and people I hadn't seen since the beginning of third grade. I started off doing WOOFing, which is basically work trade for lodging on organic farms all over the world and depending on the amount of hours some provide 3 meals a day.
Mine was 16 hours a week for a pretty sweet cabin in Hana, Maui in my opinion one of the most beautiful places of Hawaii. This is on the east side of the island about 2 hours from anywhere else. While doing work trade when I could make the time for my self i'd go over to the north shore and re connect with old friends and meet huge amount of people via the whole friends of friends scene.

After two months I felt that I was set and moved to the north shore, staying for a week at a friends house while I searched for a job. It so worked out that I ended up as an apprentice electrician for one of the best on the island, the next six months were indoctrination to what working is with ever so hard of a task master. Although i'm highly grateful thanks to that man, I now have a great work ethic.
In this time I'd moved three times and purchased a ride.

With money I had saved I went on a surf trip for a month to Sumatra in Indonesia where I became truly familiar with thefastlaneforum and began to put my mind into constant self progress.

In December I boarded the plane and returned to Chile. I had been admitted to University with a partial scholarship the year before and "froze" that year to start in 2015.
The last three months I did a surf trip down south and from there began backpacking&hitch hiking in the South of Chile, passing over to Argentina and then travelling up Argentina. The trip ended by arriving to the capital of Chile.

I started college one week ago, the university in itself is nice and uplifting located at the top of a large hill overlooking a large coastal city. Rewind to two day ago, i'm sitting in the subway/train reading TMFL this time taking notes, right then and there I hit the decision making equation that MJ shares with us. I begin writing it out for later use and as an example I used living in Chile vs Maui.
It hit me I felt like someone slapped me and a voice in my head said WHAT THE F*ck AM I DOING HERE, at first I thought it was maybe me being scared of college and tests etc.. I meditated for the next 20 minutes remaining on my trip and when I walked off I knew my heart of hearts had spoken to me.

Thank you to supportive mothers, I mean really. I called her the second I had removed myself from the hustle of the subway station. She listened, really listened to me and gave me her support and acceptance to my decision.

Today I gave my letter of voluntary resignation to the Deans secretary and going back to Maui in the ends of April.

Progress

In a large way i'll use this thread to keep myself accountable and responsible for things I have to do.

As of today the things I have to have finished before I leave are.

• Be a fundamental help in making a crowdfunding script for a company called AgroFree located here in Chile which will allow me to win a % if it's funded.
  • Get my Chilean GPA transferred to US GPA
  • Make money to help my mom with the ticket
  • Secure a contract of distribution for AgroFree's FreePot in the US.
  • Continue dialogue with guidance counselors for studying in the US. The long term plan is community college for a year getting straight A's and transferring to Oahu's business school. (necessary for my mothers peace of heart as she didn't study and has had a pretty tough life of working hard, just going to have to show her, that i'm aiming to provide massive value).
Goals for the next three months
  • Only allow mindset to keep getting higher, by continues absorption of information. Via podcasts/books/social circle
  • Begin writing a Blog
  • It looks as if i'll have to study for the SAT's if this is the case DO IT.
  • Implement ANY business.
  • Use time wisely!
  • Not to abuse of marihuana.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Day 1 AM: Woke up at 7AM, took a few minutes of silence to start the day. Read my declaration. Currently studying for a skype meeting with a company that intends to do some of the crowdfunding processes.

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Day 2:
Traveled from my town to two other towns to get my school papers then took the subway to Valparaiso, left them with person that does transcription.
Put all 3 surfboards up for sale.
Bought tortillas from a Mexican guy in the capital which I can sell for x2 price.
Have begun waking up to meditate for half an hour every day at 4-5am

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
3/15/15
- Today makes a week that i've written down my goals for the next day the night before.
-A week of waking up at 5am to meditate for that half hour.
-Feeling AMAZING!
-I'm flying back to Maui mid April and by the ends of May i'll be going to Alaska for the fishing season to be a deckhand on a friends boat. New adventures, and a wad of cash to take back to Hawaii.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So when you are in Alaska, do the opposite of what most deck hands do. Live as frugally as possible. Make it a game to save as much money as possible. Your living expenses there will be next to nothing. If you do this right, you will come back with enough money to get something started. I will meet you over on Maui maybe this Fall, but only if I determine you are an action taker. Go get it.

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Sounds great to me!
-Fith day of 60 burpees everynight.
-5th day of adopting floss in my morning routine as well as before bed.

Last edited:

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Made a big batch of burritos to go sell to college students.
cb3efabff2623268f1f86c14ab197b83.jpg
151ab13845bc978dd3550a8d7d2240fa.jpg

Got to see Sea lions in Valparaiso
fbf9267192109ce0f028796e74251cd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Tristram.

Take this from a fan. Nobody gives a shit here if you flossed or sold burritos.

Buy yourself a personal journal.

Report to us on EPIC shit that you do.

1. Move to Alaska
2. Saved $19k
3. Moved to Maui and started a boogie board importing company called Maui Krazy Boards

Don't use this place as a journal or people will get worn out and stop reading your posts.

Change the world, and use this place as your sounding board for HUGE moves.

p.s. loved the sea lions pic. Now go get shit DONE.

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Update:
-The first month on Maui was a success, made $1300 in two weeks work. -$1000 for ticket to Juneau, Alaska. Admitted to Fall Semester

-Fished in Sitka for two and a half weeks, slow fishing but great practice for all my jobs on the boat. Fishing there was 5am-8pm. Explored Sitka which is a beautiful town on a island in south east Alaska. The wild life is off the charts, bears, whales, porpoises, eagles, sea lions to name a few. The landscape of sea to steep snow tipped mountains is beautiful yet primal, a kind of raw nature. +450

-6/28 Mab fishing grounds opened, no more hour restrictions, we now night fish. This means fishing is 24 hours now. First week. 2 days of fishing, 5000 pounds caught. +400

-7/10 Fishing was hot, just finished 130 consecutive hours of fishing. 30000 pounds caught. +$1200

-Making many valued connections in Alaska, I now have opportunities to deck hand in multiple styles of fishing if I choose in the future.

-It's become clear to me that our physical limitations far supercede our mental ones.

She's the boat:

258pchy.jpg

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
@Vigilante
Aloha Dave,
Last night I crossed the gate into sticky 95 degree Maui.
This fishing season was a historically slow year for gillnetters, I made $4500 for my three months. On the flip side I only spent $450 in those same months. an abundance of social networking and a unfettered desire to succeed.
I now have a capital of $4000 and a young inquisitive mind.
Would you take up my invitation of lunch when you find yourself on the island?

Best wishes,
Tristan

SirTristram

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
  • First day of college was monday, i'm taking Public Speaking, Math, English and Psychology. The plot twist on this is without a doubt... IT'S FREE, i've been given a complete grant for this year. This includes books and around $1500 of spending money.
  • This is only 4 days of class, i'll have 3 1/2 days off a week to work and focus on external projects.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante
Aloha Dave,
Last night I crossed the gate into sticky 95 degree Maui.
This fishing season was a historically slow year for gillnetters, I made $4500 for my three months. On the flip side I only spent $450 in those same months. an abundance of social networking and a unfettered desire to succeed.
I now have a capital of $4000 and a young inquisitive mind.
Would you take up my invitation of lunch when you find yourself on the island?

Best wishes,
Tristan

Are you on Maui in July?

edited : last seen November 2015. Hope you are doing well, kid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.