The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Back on the Horse

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

Deleted50669

Well, after going through a rough patch I've built up some new momentum.

As some of you know, I've been arduously studying web development for the past six months. I've been unsure whether I would apply these new skills to a better job, or immediately set out to build my own web application. As it turns out, the answer is neither.

A business owner I know has been kind enough to provide my first independent consulting opportunity (without payment), in exchange for recommendations if I do a good job. I found an opportunity to provide multiple solutions for his business, and one of them is a data visualization app. The app is not done, but he is so onboard with the concept and happy with the potential value it will provide that he has amended our agreement to include compensation.

I'm working my kahones off between my regular job and this engagement, but I'm happier than when I had free time. Will provide updates when relevant.

- Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
That's pretty awesome. But in six months you're probably good enough to get paid for your work. You can always build your own software/website to validate your skills. You don't need to be an expert, but as long as you can complete a task, it's good enough to be paid for. Just gotta believe in yourself. :fistbump::fistbump:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
A business owner I know has been kind enough to provide my first independent consulting opportunity (without payment), in exchange for recommendations

That's was very kind of him. :happy:

Is this what you want to do long term or are you just using this as a learning experience?

The reason I ask is that it is very easy to be pulled in a direction you had no intention of going just because it is the only road that appears through the mist at the time (speaking from personal experience).

Look forward to reading more. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted50669

That's was very kind of him. :happy:

Is this what you want to do long term or are you just using this as a learning experience?

The reason I ask is that it is very easy to be pulled in a direction you had no intention of going just because it is the only road that appears through the mist at the time (speaking from personal experience).

Look forward to reading more. :thumbsup:
Hey RC, thanks for the insight. Could you elaborate on that risk? I have three years of full time consulting with a large firm prior, so I have some industry exposure already.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
What I'm saying in don't let the tide and the wind dictate your direction because it could very well take you to a place you don't want to be.

In other words you don't become your own boss to end up doing something you don't enjoy doing or that ultimately creates a lifestyle that doesn't suit you.

So, as I've said many times in the past, look at the end game. Do some introspection. Imagine how you would ideally be living your life in 2, 3, 5 years. Where will you be? What will you be doing? How many hours a day will you be working?

If the business you are going into aligns with that then great. If not then why build something that is going to end up chaining you to something you never wanted?

Some people follow a passion, turn it into a business and enjoy working 12 hour days 6 days a week. They are happy as a pig in shit.

For others this would be a prison sentence. They want a truly passive business or one that can be run off a laptop anywhere in the world for 2 hours a day tops.

Others are happy to grind 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 2-3 years with the intention of selling or floating if big enough and (semi)-retiring.

You'r ideal will be somewhere in the mix.

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
What I'm saying in don't let the tide and the wind dictate your direction because it could very well take you to a place you don't want to be.

In other words you don't become your own boss to end up doing something you don't enjoy doing or that ultimately creates a lifestyle that doesn't suit you.

I couldn't agree more with you. Like you I also wanted anything finally got it, now working on something I don't want. Only because, by the time it was the only way to get out.

"404profound" I don't want to discourage you, happy to hear about your Execution!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.