The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AUSTRALIAN - saying G'Day Mates

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014
Hello how is everybody?

I'm coming to you from the Gold Coast, Australia and you can rest assure that I do not speak like Jim Carrey in this Dumber and Dumber scene:

My current situation is -
  • I'm 25
  • Working full time for a Civil Engineering Consultancy - been in the industry for 3.5 years
  • Studying Bachelor of Civil Engineering Part time with 1 year to go
  • Been reading self help books for 3-4 years
  • Interested in entrepreneurship and leaving the 9-5 behind
  • Always had a thing for the internet
How I got I got here -
  • Cannot specifically remember! But thankful I am
Have I head the Millionaire Fastlane -
  • No. This will change soon though
What I hope to get from this forum -
  • An increased knowledge base
  • Networking
  • The confidence to increase my life experiences
  • Greater understanding of online & offline fastlane procedures
  • The ability of leave the 9-5 behind if I choose
My name -
  • Jon
Any queries regarding "down under" feel free to PM me!

Thanks for reading - look forward to connecting and participating with you all!

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
@earlymornings Welcome to the forum. I wish I stayed there before I flew back to my place! :)
You'll learn a lot here that's for sure. For now, read read read.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
@earlymornings stayed in Sydney for almost 2 years then went back to Manila. Planned to go there but forgot to renew my ViSA...dang! :)

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014
D

DeletedUser15

G'Day mate! Also an aspiring entrepreneur and from Australia (Adelaide). I have just begun my third year of Civil and Structural engineering and have recently turned 20.

I am looking for a few pointers based on your experience:

How do you balance studying and your entrepreneurial ambitions? My grades have dropped from High Distinctions to a mixture of Distinctions and Credits.

Dropping out is simply not an option. I, like you, am also interested in real estate and the housing markets. I am a believer that the degree will give me an edge to the market, do you agree?

What is it like in a consultancy firm? The workload? You mention mundane jobs but that's standard for any job.

Any other wisdom?

Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wadza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 8, 2011
Welcome mate. Brissy lad here.

Definitely get stuck in and read TMF asap!

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014
G'Day mate! Also an aspiring entrepreneur and from Australia (Adelaide). I have just begun my third year of Civil and Structural engineering and have recently turned 20.

I am looking for a few pointers based on your experience:

How do you balance studying and your entrepreneurial ambitions? My grades have dropped from High Distinctions to a mixture of Distinctions and Credits.

Dropping out is simply not an option. I, like you, am also interested in real estate and the housing markets. I am a believer that the degree will give me an edge to the market, do you agree?

What is it like in a consultancy firm? The workload? You mention mundane jobs but that's standard for any job.

Any other wisdom?

Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@wadza Cheers Wadza. Sorting it this weekend. Come down to the coast much?

@Zebian thanks for the questions. Good to see someone in a similar situation to me on here!

First off I wouldn't take any of my responses as wisdom as I am only new to this and giving my personal experiences.

Right now, I am focused on finishing my degree as I only have 8 months to go. I still find time to read topics on this forum and books (biographies, business books, technology). So basically I'm increasing my knowledge without taking any action, for now!

Regarding your grades - it depends what you goal is. If your happy with distinctions and credit then aim for those, if you want high distinctions then put the effort into getting that. E.g. Im already working in the industry so my degree grades are not important for me hence I aim for credits. Do whatever you think is best for you. I've had three industry jobs and not one has looked at my grades.

Why do you think the degree will give you an edge in the real estate market?

It varies were you work. Im in a civil design office ATM. Its very technical, workload varies to depending where you work. Some days are super busy when jobs need to be urgently done, whereas other days can be cruisey. You collaborate with other guys (engineers, designers) alot so communication is important. Being organised is important as project contain alot of documents and processes.

My advice would be to try and get some free work experience or talk to some engineers at local offices. Send them some emails and see If you can spend a day in the office and see how it all works. Then you have a better idea if you''ll like it!

Sorry for the long post bro, hope it helps. Hit me up if you want to know anything else!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...