The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Audiobooks - Reclaiming your time

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Have any audiobooks that stood out more than the others?
Well, if I'm multitasking, I usually only listen to fiction or autobiographies as I have realized that I can't seem to retain hard nonfiction when multitasking.

So when multitasking it has to be something that draws me in quickly:
A couple books I really enjoyed lately is:

The Gambler- William C. Rempel
Outlaw Platoon--Sean Parnell
Etched in Sand-Regina Calcaterra
Never Quit-Don Rearden, Jimmy Settle
Why We Sleep-Matthew Walker Phd

As you can see, It is quite random.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Patriot Way

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Sep 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Guys I'm gonna make a thread on this but there are a couple ways to get your iPhone to read any text (book, article, webpage, whatever) to you in the nice, clean SIRI voice. The new one sounds great when reading out loud. It's essentially like converting any book to an audiobook.

This is one method. You just swipe down with 2 fingers and the entire page is read aloud to you.

The other method is VoiceOver. If people are interested let me know and I'll prioritize writing the thread and put it up within the week. Otherwise I'm just gonna do it whenever.

That works in a pinch but the voice is just so mechanical (for obvious reasons). It's no replacement for a professional reader or the author reading the work - pauses, emphasis, humor, etc. all add to the experience and tone of the book.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
You can't scribble in an audiobook haha. But.. it's a great option to have in a pinch.

I thought that as well. I carry a pocket notebook. So, when I hear something, I like. I stop and write it down.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
Does listening to an audiobook while working considered multi tasking. I guess it is
Well is it a bad thing ? because i found that multi tasking can hurt your comprehesion or your focus. Need your opinion about that

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Does listening to an audiobook while working considered multi tasking. I guess it is
Well is it a bad thing ? because i found that multi tasking can hurt your comprehesion or your focus. Need your opinion about that
My personal experience is that I can learn a lot while driving, walking or working out. My brain tunes out safely (I believe and over 300K miles without issue) when focus is needed on the road, etc.

The issue I realized quickly is covered above - you need a way to keep notes (at least I do). When driving that has to be audio obviously. That was a Dictaphone in CD days, and now an app. Without note taking, for the key points, ideas on application, etc, it's harder to apply later. You learn, but not nearly as effectively IMO.

Humans don't multi-task, they task switch - so the reality is focused consumption of information will always be better - but we all have to make the best of the over-filled hours we have.

YMMV of course.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.