The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At the very beginning...

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
Hey Fastlaners,

I'm just starting out, having recently read TMF and finding this forum. I've been greatly inspired to begin self-publishing through Amazon but I'm curious about a few things.

I understand the main point is writing. To continue churning out new books. Consistency. But before I begin, I'd love to learn more because, outside of researching authors, books and writing styles, I know quite literally nothing on self-publishing.

1. Are there typical fonts that you guys/gals use? Does it matter?
2. What are the recommended ways to convert a word document into a nice-looking ebook?
3. What is Permafree?
4. Is Draft2Digital preferred over Smashwords? And is that the program you need to sell on other distributors? Is that how you make books Perma-Free?
5. Do you have a specific or formulaic process for writing out new books or is it shoot from the hip? I'm working on a formulaic outline to better churn out books.
6. Any other thoughts or bits of wisdom that helped you early on that might help me?

I'm not trying to sound like I'm "mooching" for information without due diligence. So if you think I'm better off finding these answers out on my own, do you suggest any other forums or specific threads in this forum that you feel I should begin sifting through?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I think you're asking the wrong questions for a start-up, so I'll suggest a couple more before I answer what I can.
a) Do you intend to write fiction or non-fiction, and to do it yourself or outsource?
b) Do you have the research skills required to turn out a quality non-fiction book, or enough stories you want to tell for a fiction career?
c) Do you have the time, or the discipline to create the time, to sit down and write?

If you can answer all of those, then you're in a better position to use the answers to the ones you asked, which I've interthreaded below:

1. Are there typical fonts that you guys/gals use? Does it matter?
Yes, it matters. Many of the fonts in your Word software aren't public domain or licensed for use in a commercially published work. I'd recommend you stick to Times New Roman, which is easily handled by Amazon's automated converter, unless and until you are prepared to spend money on a license for one you prefer. It CAN get you in trouble if you choose one that is restricted.

2. What are the recommended ways to convert a word document into a nice-looking ebook?
You can format it according to Smashwords' recommendations, available free on that site. I haven't used D2D but others here who have more experience do recommend it. I don't know whether D2D has formatting guidelines or not. The easiest way is to save your Word document with little or no 'fancy' stuff to the filtered HTML (look in your Word Save-As format list) and load it straight to Amazon. Be sure to check what it looks like and make any changes you feel are required before going on to publish. You can also buy conversion software (waste of money IMO) or pay someone to format it for you. I recommend the latter if you have any sort of special issues, like a lot of images, tables, etc. Get a referral; I've seen more people unhappy with their results than happy.

3. What is Permafree?
Amazon and Barnes & Noble, the big guns, don't have an option to make your book always free. If you want to put a short work up as a free sample, you'll have to get those platforms to price match by making them free elsewhere. See next question

4. Is Draft2Digital preferred over Smashwords? And is that the program you need to sell on other distributors? Is that how you make books Perma-Free?
Lately I've seen D2D recommended over Smashwords, but can't answer this question myself from experience. Both of them distribute to several other online booksellers, and yes, it's a way to make books perma-free. However, you must wait for them to distribute to Kobo, iTunes, etc., before Amazon or B&N will price-match. Just having it free on Smashwords, for example, won't do it. Free on iTunes will.

5. Do you have a specific or formulaic process for writing out new books or is it shoot from the hip? I'm working on a formulaic outline to better churn out books.
Everyone has a different opinion on this. I use a specific process, which I believe I've outlined somewhere in my progress thread (Jumping on the Bandwagon), or Google it and get the advice of some authors who are already ultra-successful. Take whatever works for you.

6. Any other thoughts or bits of wisdom that helped you early on that might help me?
Have you read the Gold Thread from Held for Ransom, entitled Hello from Denver? Or any of the other progress threads in this category? Participating here can inspire you, give you new or improved ideas, keep you from making mistakes that others here have already made and warned about, and make new friends.

Hope this is helpful, and please, interact with us on the other threads and keep us posted on your progress here.

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
COSenior, Before I dig in to those answers, allow em to answer the first few questions. I have thought considerably about the business side of things.

a) Do you intend to write fiction or non-fiction, and to do it yourself or outsource?

I intend to write fiction. I've chosen a sub-genre as well, and it appears to currently be trendy. I have also bought and have been reading several best-selling books in these genres to get an idea of the type of perspective and writing style that is currently doing well. I will be writing these books myself, and I'm working on a rough process that will allow me to follow a quantified approach to writing each book so that I don't get caught up in the details.

I consumed Held for Ransom's thread already and have drafted some spreadsheets that analyze self-published books that sell well and their results, book lengths, pricing, etc.

b) Do you have the research skills required to turn out a quality non-fiction book, or enough stories you want to tell for a fiction career?

I have plenty of ideas and so far my process for fiction is following what's currently popular. I've got ideas for at least one series. I've finished a first outline/guide for my first book. As I continue to read and write more, I will continue to brainstorm more ideas. But they seem to come easy to me, and I'm decently okay at creating fiction plots to build from.

c) Do you have the time, or the discipline to create the time, to sit down and write?

My biggest problem was explained perfectly in a video MJ posted on my welcome thread about the problem of desertion. I've always lacked confidence because of insufficient research on business ideas. I love the idea of self-publishing because I'm able to quantify and plan out the business easier through research and I've been able to project possible outcomes easier. I've also seen more proof of success from different people at different points of their self-publishing careers, both in this forum and on Reddit.

So as for consistency, I know that will be the toughest part, but I am committed and I tend to think it really will only come through continuous writing, rather than through anything else. Once I begin writing, I plan to see what pace I am comfortable at, (i.e. 1000 words a day) and then gradually ramp up from there.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
It sounds like you have a very good start and plan. I would suggest that your words per day will have to increase substantially over time, but that happens with practice and with knowing your story inside and out, which your logical approach should facilitate. Congratulations, and again, welcome.

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
COSenior,

What's your goal for words per day? What do others do? I've read that some crank out 3000 words / day, which could make a 20,000 word novella accomplishable in close to a week.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
COSenior,

What's your goal for words per day? What do others do? I've read that some crank out 3000 words / day, which could make a 20,000 word novella accomplishable in close to a week.

Before I answer this, I must point out that I write full-time, and that I've been doing so for several months, long enough to substantially increase my daily production. Under no circumstances do I claim this is doable for someone writing under different circumstances, and it may not even be sustainable for me. But I try to average 10k per day, and generally do at least 8 or 9, with some long, inspired days approaching 12. I write 5 to 6 days per week. My average seems to be around 1200-1500 per hour, so you can see I work long hours. For the sake of my health, I really should slow down a bit and do something for exercise.

A more sustainable goal, maybe, is that of Stephen King, who is said to have averaged 1500 words per day for over thirty years. That's a track record to envy.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Stephen King, who is said to have averaged 1500 words per day for over thirty years.

Funny I just got off the phone with my mother,
She asked how much did I think Stephen king wrote per day.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
For the sake of my health, I really should slow down a bit and do something for exercise.

Well, it *could* bite you down the road especially once you start selling alot and the urge to write is strong. There's no guarantees that it will but even so, there's a ton of wisdom in there. I had no idea what word counts were when I got started. Zero. But I learned quickly. Word counts are a big deal with self pubbers and for good reason. The more you write, generally, the more you make.

Heck, just last week I corresponded with an author who is in the upper half of the Top 100 in Contemporary Romance. THAT is making some coin, folks. She *regularly* has 20,000+ word DAYS. Her best was 32,000+. I mean, wow. Basically, she outlines to a tee and types anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 WPM with astonishing accuracy.

So there's those kinds of people...

Then there's folks like @COSenior who, I mean let's be real, 10K word days are an effing grind. Much respect to her for that. Her bank account will be very full, very soon at that rate. Mark my words. And let's not forget @ChickenHawk who writes it all down by hand! Ahhhh!

Freaks, the both of you! ;)

By comparison my sorry butt is off to a slow start this year. I made a bunch of changes at the end of last year. It will take a while for them to payoff but even so, I'm at around 2K per day right now. My max goal (after this current novella is finished) is about 3-5K a day.

Could I do more? Yeah, I've done 10K+ a number of times but there's little chance I could sustain that for long periods. I mean, I'm only now learning how to type properly so with any luck, that will naturally increase my production over time. But, even if it did I would still rather have a steady 3-5K a day for the next 20 years than peaks and valleys of 10K followed by bedrest and Gatorade.

But 3-5K a day??? That's money in the bank and I don't burnout in the process. 3K a day is a million words per year so if it doesn't sound like much, it is.

Unlike my first year in this biz, the first half of my days now are all about my health - exercise, etc. I don't dabble in this and screw around with that. From lunch until dinner, I outline and/or write. We'll see how that holds up but yeah, longevity and the ability to remain steadily productive over a looooonnngg period of time now is my new objective.

Lastly, writing is all I do now. I have ditched doing my own covers and hired a pro that is pricey but her work is, unreal. It's literally nickels in cost over the long run. Soon, I'll get my editor situation worked as well. Again, more nickels I was hoarding last year. Don't get me wrong, nickels matter, but not wooden ones. I make it my job now to know the difference and spend where it saves me the most time. I know how to do ALL of those things but that's not where my max ROI is.

It's writing. A LOT. And that takes tremendous mental power and fortitude especially if it's not something that you naturally gravitate towards, which I do not. Of course there are some for whom it does come naturally but in many ways, I am happy that it is a grind for me. I appreciate every little bit of progress I make because it is so mentally challenging.

In the end, all of this is about giving me the best chance I have for the highest amount of output possible during the hours when my mind is running at its peak capacity, which for me is about noon - 7 p.m. Everyone is different but the more I do this, the more I've come to realize that the people who do well over the long run, they know themselves and what they are capable of and they stick to it.

So again, model winners.

Sorry for the thread derail @ctcrompton.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
3K a day is a million words per year so if it doesn't sound like much, it is.

Great post, as usual! Very thought-provoking and inspiring all around. And boy, it's funny to think how those words add up, isn't it? A million words per year, that's 10-12 full-length novels. WOW. If I could put out four full-length novels a year, I'd be pretty darn happy. Let's see, that's about 360,000 words a year. So that would involve averaging "only" 1,000 words a day. Hmmm...

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
When I write, it's usually 2-3k a day. But I have a demanding day job, and for example I spent today formatting, prepping, and outlining, so I've got nada on the word counter. But, until I start making from books what I make from my day job, it doesn't make sense to quit. It also helps fund covers, editing, and marketing costs.

If I was writing full time, I wouldn't be happy unless it was about 6k words a day, if not 10k. If I did that, I'd have a novel out every two weeks. Some people might shoot me at that point (or my wrists would fall off).

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
@Held for Ransom,

Thanks for that input! I'm working on a novel, and read somewhere that it's a good idea to answer Who, When, What, Why and Where. But also have a timeline in order to understand how everything will work out in the novel.

So far I'm only 3000 words into my very first novel, but it's a start and it's relatively easy because of two reasons:

1. I know I can write whatever I want. Literally, it's fiction so the world of imagination is at my fingertips.

2. With no real hard boundaries, it's easier to write a bunch. And I'm more concerned with getting 3000 words down on paper that read coherently than 3000 words that are beautiful because I know the end result in a year from now will be both coherent and beautiful.

That being said, I'm inspired by many users on here and their sense of commitment.

So here's another question from a beginner: How do you go about creating the outline for a book plot? Did the process grow on you over time or did you begin with a process and stick to it?

I'm going to try for another 3k today.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
How do you go about creating the outline for a book plot?

There's a couple of real pros on the forum in this regard - @COSenior and @AubreyRose.

They've both given me some advice about this so I'd pick their brains if you're interested in taking that approach.

In writing terms, I have been more or less a "pantser" since I began as opposed to a "plotter". As you might guess, a pantser is someone who just sits down and well, writes by the seat of their pants. A plotter on the other hand doesn't begin writing the story until it's more or less outlined. You sound like you have a natural tendency towards the latter.

I must confess that making the switch is grueling. I am stubbornly sticking to it since I think that over the long run it will mean more consistent storylines and also, more consistent production. Anyway, I have gravitated towards a beat sheet approach for my outlining. I'm not 100% committed to it yet. It's just going to take some time.

@COSenior talked about outlining/beat sheets here, here (via @Jkeenum) and here. @AubreyRose supplied this link to me for a beat sheet with a Romance slant, if that's what you write.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
A plotter on the other hand doesn't begin writing the story until it's more or less outlined. You sound like you have a natural tendency towards the latter.

I'm very much a plotter. An over-thinker all too often. Those "beat sheets" are very helpful, thank you for the added value! I tend to think that will save me tons of time.

Also, I wrote on your public profile page because I don't know how to PM people. Do you still use that research tool you were PMing everyone a while ago? If so, do you still PM that to people? From what I've read it seems to help people a lot and I think it could be a beneficial tool for me.

Thanks for your help so far!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
2. With no real hard boundaries, it's easier to write a bunch. And I'm more concerned with getting 3000 words down on paper that read coherently than 3000 words that are beautiful because I know the end result in a year from now will be both coherent and beautiful.
Well said! And absolutely true.

@AubreyRose supplied this link to me for a beat sheet with a Romance slant, if that's what you write.
Wow, this is so much better than what I've been using! Thanks for sharing, both of you.

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
I think I'm turning this thread into my progress thread. Feeling very inspired by everyone here today.

Also, for those further along than I am, how do male writers accurately portray female leads? Any suggestions there?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I think I'm turning this thread into my progress thread. Feeling very inspired by everyone here today.

Also, for those further along than I am, how do male writers accurately portray female leads? Any suggestions there?
There may be better ways than this, but I'd suggest you write something short, say 2500-5000 words the way you think your female character would think and act, and then have one or two women read it and make suggestions. I did that with a very short story I wrote as a lark, way too short to publish, and though it wasn't done for that purpose, the feedback I've received gives me a lot more confidence that if I wanted to do a publishable length work from a male POV, it would be fairly accurate.

Rob Williams

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Feb 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

I write using a female pen name and my main characters are women. It's hilarious, because I often get fan mail telling me how refreshing it to have the type of stories I write written from a female perspective and how much they enjoy it. If only they knew ;)
This book may help you get inside the head of your female lead:

Understanding Women.jpg

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
@Rob Williams

That picture sums it up. I'm planning on asking my girlfriend about character traits and thoughts.

There may be better ways than this, but I'd suggest you write something short, say 2500-5000 words the way you think your female character would think and act, and then have one or two women read it and make suggestions.

This is a great idea, I'm going to run some character types by my female friends!

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
Okay, I finished my first short story. I was originally planning on making it a Novella, but I'm satisfied. It's progress.

I began my first day writing on Thursday, with no outline, plot ideas, or experience. Since then, I've been reading similar books to what I intend to write, researching plot outlines and example structures, and have been writing every day to build the habit. I've written at least 1500 words per day since Thursday, although not all of it has made it into a book.

The book I began on Thursday went through various changes until about yesterday. I scrapped everything and started over, and although the premise was basically the same, my focus was better. It's still a really shitty book clocking in at only 6000 words, but at least I can now say I've done something and finished it completely. I watched the video MJ linked to about desertion, and that's always been my biggest problem. So this is a start towards moving past that.

Now, today my goal is to create the cover, write the description, publish it on Amazon (probably Perma-Free or something) and begin my next book.

Thanks for all who have helped me arrive at this point, as small as it may be.

Dave C

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jan 13, 2014
Well done! One step at a time and you'll get there.

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
Just thought I'd post this awesome character profile guide that I used for my latest Novella. It's really helping me knowing that my characters are now fleshed out in my head.

Some of it seems unnecessary to write out and think about, but I've found it comes in handy, especially since I'm someone who, after creating the major plot points, fleshes out the details as he goes. I have a sort of wire frame to guide me.

Here's the link.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Just thought I'd post this awesome character profile guide that I used for my latest Novella. It's really helping me knowing that my characters are now fleshed out in my head.

Some of it seems unnecessary to write out and think about, but I've found it comes in handy, especially since I'm someone who, after creating the major plot points, fleshes out the details as he goes. I have a sort of wire frame to guide me.

Here's the link.

Wow, this is very helpful. I'd love for nothing more than my characters to write their own stories. This kind of stuff will add the little nice touches and make the story "meatier"!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

Here's the link.

I agaree, very helpful to have it all laid out like this. I saved it as a Word document and will be pasting it into each Scrivener character sketch. Agree it may be overkill for minor characters, but every little bit helps for major characters.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
Thanks for the link, definitely a nice, extensive list. One thing I thought I'd chime in that occurred to me over time, was that a lot of these details are handy to note down as you write, but not necessarily essential before you start a book. Will probably depend on your writer/reader preference too when it comes to the level of description detail. For example I really like the 3-important-details school of vague character descriptions outside of really important features that let the reader fill in the gaps with their own ideas. On the other hand my sister is more of a need-to-know-everything kind of reader/writer - where you get height/weight/eye colour/dimples/nail polish/ and so on ;)

My ramblings aside, what I wanted to say is that one thing I found really handy when defining characters was Holly Lisle's method of I think 4-6 questions that really have nothing to do with your character's appearance. Instead the questions are (roughly): what the character wants, what the character needs, what would he sacrifice to get what he wants, and what he wouldn't sacrifice. I found that this approach on one hand defines the character better in my mind in terms of their drive and behaviour and on the other hand leaves me free to occasionally change small details to better suit the narrative without feeling like I'm throwing away descriptions I've spent hours honing down. :) Though still, if it's magic that defines my character's eye colour, then I'll be very specific about that up front ;)

ctcrompton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 13, 2014
Instead the questions are (roughly): what the character wants, what the character needs, what would he sacrifice to get what he wants, and what he wouldn't sacrifice.

I love this.

Also, I'd love to know if anyone else experiences this issue I'm having. Okay, so it's not an issue really, but it's something I'm noticing and it has an impact on my writing. Throughout my writing, the character description I have in my head one night tends to change slightly over the course of a few days while writing. I thought a character would be this power figure, but after writing a day or two, I wrote a scene that depicts her not having so much power over a particular person, even though initially I thought she should. I'm worried that I might have conflicting details in my story as I continue writing and changing slight things in my mind.

Anybody else experience this? I feel like the six questions that you wrote @joanna will help greatly with this.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
Anybody else experience this?

Yes. Sometimes too much and it can be a real pain if plot/events rely on the character behaving one way or another and as you write it naturally decides to go in the opposite direction.

I think part of it is that you often discover what the character is really like as you write. Often when starting a story you have some concept and I would say it's often a bit like the idea you have about various people (friend/family/even yourself), but just because you think someone would behave in a given way, doesn't mean that in the situation they actually would.

That's something I struggle with when plotting ahead. Still trying to nail outline detail amount that would let me capture the likely behaviour rather than stating "characters A and B will do X", and then as I write the scene I realize that although the concept/conflict is good, getting all the characters into a position where the events will make sense and the stuff I planned can be applied proves quite a challenge. I've been stuck with a scene for a week for that very reason.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.