The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you actually positioned to help?

A post of a ranting nature...

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I keep seeing stuff about "maybe I should do this thing that helps with coronavirus." And if it was a hurricane, murder spree, earthquake, godzilla attack, or flash fire, I might expect to see similar things. Here's the problem. If that's your starting point, but you don't have any skills, people, money, or time with which to solve the problem, why would you start working on something beyond your scope now? Why not help in a way with which you already have at least some skills or experience?

I don't want to be mean, and this is aimed at nobody specific (I'm seeing this outside the forum and, ahem, maybe inside sometimes), but I see people who are like "I've never made a website, or a business, or written copy, or hired anyone, but I wanna make a coronavirus interactive website with amazing new features!"

That's great, but by the time you do that we'll be past this disaster and onto the next one. Or three disasters from now. And everyone thinks the same thing at the same time, so we'll have an explosion of helpful people without the skills they need, all trying to start similar businesses.

I absolutely do not want to discourage anyone from helping. In fact, I have a lot of respect for people who help others. But it's worth considering how you can best help others. Scale your ideas to something you can actually do in the reasonable time horizon. Otherwise you're just talking about things you can't do... is that even up to the level of action faking?

One thing that might help is to make a short list of things that almost anyone can do. If there's something you are really good at or knowledgeable about, write that down too, sure. But something like almost anyone can:
  • Help organize other people
  • convince a person with other skills to help with something
  • deliver stuff
  • read maps
  • talk to upset people
  • make phone calls
  • direct someone to an online resource
  • help an old person navigate a website
  • help someone locate the nearest x
There we go... now even if you're inexperienced and still learning basic HTML there's something you can do. You can even stick to your up-scoped project ideas if you can convince/hire someone with skills to help... if. But if not, you can create a project that is scoped within your current abilities. There's nothing wrong with starting small. Every step along the way doesn't have to be world changing. Just do some good, help someone, and build from there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.