The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you a developer? Please give me your thoughts on this problem

kevcon80

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 16, 2019
My main question for you:

1) How much development experience do you have?
2) Do you resonate with this issue?
3) If you're an experienced developer who does NOT relate to this issue as a whole, do you relate to the following section ONLY?
You need to be able to search the hard parts
There is always that code snippet that you can never remember. You need a system that allows you to learn, capture, and find it, painlessly.

Thanks to all the fellow fast-laners who offer feedback/insight :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dawp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Oct 23, 2017
~8 years in web development

Yes, there are several snippets for me. Skeletons for html document and skeleton for reactjs component.

I can probably write them from my memory but i would always miss some stuff that i have to add later. So it's good to have everything i need right from the beginning

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
My main question for you:

1) How much development experience do you have?
2) Do you resonate with this issue?
3) If you're an experienced developer who does NOT relate to this issue as a whole, do you relate to the following section ONLY?

Thanks to all the fellow fast-laners who offer feedback/insight :)

I’ve been doing web development for roughly 10 years.

There’s always something that you need to reference, but its very easy to find what you need.

Lucian M.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 10, 2019
Romania
10+ years in web development.

I think most of the software developers have times when they don't remember exactly a snippet of code, but they know it's a google search away - I wouldn't call it necessary a system, it's more like the experience dictating you what to search exactly.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
I have combined 8+ years development experience, focusing on Android past 6years. I resonate with the issue and I have tried a number of homegrown journaling system to catalog code snippets, now I use Github gists and reliance on Stackoverflow to reference code snippets.

Jesse Harris

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jan 11, 2020
15+ years Software Engineering.
I usually consult my most recent projects, or just google what I am looking for.
I have found that knowing the right terminology is more important than snippets.
I remember having to google "lua string concatenation operator" a few years ago. I got exactly what I wanted. If I had asked for "lua how to add words", I would not have gotten much success, even though we learn in many language strings are for words, and usually it is the + symbol to combine them.

While this is not a problem for me, it might be of more use to junior programmers. Appeal to their emotions.

101 snippets you should have handy to cut your development time in half. Bob's snippet emporium will get you out of the office in time for happy hour. You will be the envy of your coworkers. Your productivity will skyrocket your career to new heights!

kevcon80

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 16, 2019
Thank you all for the insight!

I have combined 8+ years development experience, focusing on Android past 6years. I resonate with the issue and I have tried a number of homegrown journaling system to catalog code snippets, now I use Github gists and reliance on Stackoverflow to reference code snippets.

@Val Okafor , I've tried a couple solutions as well for code snippets, nothing that I've found has worked yet. If you're interested in having your thoughts/ideas included in whatever I decide to build, please take a look at the email form at the bottom of the link. If you'd rather watch and keep an eye out, I have a progress thread in INSIDERS.

Thanks to everyone else who's given me some great insight into the mindset of experienced / senior devs!

klaipeda

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Sep 22, 2015
Melbourne
XX years of experience here.

My past projects are the best snippets collector. Moreover are not only my snippets but also other developer's snippets.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.