The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

OFF-TOPIC Appropriate Thank You Gift Amount For Guest Speaker

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
How much work do you anticipate he'll put into this? How much time will be required? What will the speaker get out of this, other than payment? Is he popular enough to draw a good crowd?

It generally boils down to, who is getting more out of this, him or you? If it's him, all he should expect is for you to cover actual costs. If you're getting more out of it, then you need to estimate his worth to you, and pay based on that (plus cover costs, etc).

I do the "guest speaker" thing on occasion, and don't generally expect much in terms of payment, as I generally have other motives, mostly around networking and helping my fiancee drum up business for her company.

OP
OP
K

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Mostly we will get more of it than the guest.
The first guest is a motivational coach
so, of course, she's trying to drum up business
but other guests (such as detectives and dialect pros)
will be getting nothing out of it.

I heard back that the board didn't even want to pay the $50.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
If they're doing it do drum up biz, give them publicity.

More than they expect.

Worth more than a few bucks, esp if you can pull a few strings here and there w/other sites that talk about them, too.

(and let them know all the cool stuff you've done, *after* you've done it).

If they're local. offer them a home cooked meal (I'm only partly kidding).

If not, find out where they live, and get them something like a Starbucks card, or gift card to Whole Foods, or something they LOVE (try to weasel this out of them in friendly banter).

Just my .02

-Russ H.

PS For all the speaker gifts I've gotten over the years, NONE of them were memorable. Most ended up in the trash, sad to say. I *did* cash the big checks, though. ;)

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
A set of steak knives?

Okay, seriously, as a guest speaker the things I've remembered are a commemorative silver piece (which was kindof cool and I could then say I invested in silver...) and a beautiful silver necklace. (huh, apparently silver is a theme)

Generally, though, if I'm flying somewhere I would get expenses and then client contacts. The contacts were what it was all about.

For someone who is speaking to a group and doesn't have some kind of upsell potential (like detectives) you might be surprised as to why they want to do it. It could be they really want to teach. Or maybe they're interested in someone writing their story (and getting a "thank you" in the acknowledgements)

As another example, I post here for three reasons: (1) keeps me in touch with questions people have and things that are hanging them up - you might notice that frequently my blog posts deal more in depth with issues that started over here (2) a way to build my brand awareness (3) I have a lot I am learning from the eBiz guys.

So, I share my knowledge to receive knowledge. Could be your guest speakers might have the same agenda.

OP
OP
K

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
If they're local. offer them a home cooked meal (I'm only partly kidding).
The hubby says he has first dibs on the home cooked meal.
I'm not exactly Suzy Homemaker.
LOL

Great tips Russ about giving them all the publicity I can
and about the gift cards.
Since this will be done all online, I think gift cards (especially eGift Cards)
are easiest.
The writing folks are easy (Amazon gift cards) but I'm thinking that may not be the best for the other experts.

Thanks!

OP
OP
K

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
For someone who is speaking to a group and doesn't have some kind of upsell potential (like detectives) you might be surprised as to why they want to do it. It could be they really want to teach. Or maybe they're interested in someone writing their story (and getting a "thank you" in the acknowledgements)
That is a brilliant idea.
One of the fund raising ideas for author sponsored charities is to auction off character names. So if you have the winning bid, you can have a character named after you or a loved one. An attempt at immortality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom