The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Apple Watch... Yea or Nay?

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
No to Apple (never bought an Apple product and never will)
No to "smart watches" (WTF?)
Damn, that's an ugly thing!!!
Seems to me like a solution in search of a problem...

Heck, since I have to carry a cell phone around with a clock built in, I hardly ever even wear a watch at all these days. Never really liked the having something strapped to my arm.

But yea, the Apple fanatics will buy 'em.

Cheers,
O2

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
The only gadget i was excited for was the google glasses
These watches do look that they were designed for 10 years old and kind of kitshy but heyyy Asian market will love them for just that

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Personally, I think it's going to bomb. Can't see myself buying one... EVER.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out because as you know, my opinion doesn't matter, the market's opinion as a whole does.

What say you?

0910_apple-iwatch_2000x1125-1940x1091.jpg

Hate it. Will create more zombies so system and invisible hand will support it wink wink

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Here is Australia I've met 2 girls wearing casio digital watches. These were the old school type with shiny silver bands and two buttons on the side. I think people like that old watch look.

I only noticed them because I had the same watch in grammar school!

lifejak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 10, 2015
People will still probably buy it, demand won't be high now.. But the way i see it, when stark improvements are made to the apple watch over the next two updates to the model. Things will start to get better and the consumer group for it will increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
curve-499x275.jpg

Here is what I think
In January I actually did a little bit of research on the topic of smart watch. The reason was no particularly, I just like tech and I like Apple's products because of their iOS.

In January there were about 85,142 results on smart watch.
And as I'm writing this the result is 126,760.

I think the Smart Watch industry is just a small fish in a large pond of wearable tech, which is predicted to be very sought after in the future.

Besides, wearables has been around for some time now but as Apple releases its Apple Watch it will probably get more traction as an industry.

People want to be more connected, but only a few dares to take the first step.

As already pointed out, the battery life is probably a huge hurdle for many to purchase this product. Next is to see the real value of having one.

But as it get more integrated into our lives I think it will blow up. Maybe not as revolutionary as iPhone. When NOKIA and Ericsson made revolutionary cell phones, nobody wanted them at first.

"Bah, nobody needs that crap"

"hey, that is quite interesting"

"WHY didn't I discover this product before?"

Accordingly to PWC's studies on wearable tech 70% of consumers say they would wear employer provided wearables streaming anonymous data to a pool in exchange for a break on their insurance premiums.

Price is the leading factor prohibiting purchase of wearable technology.

Data shows that roughly one in five American adults already owns some type of wearable device—on par with tablets in 2012, when the adoption rate sat at 20% after just two years in the market. Today, more than 40% of Americans own a tablet.

According to Tim Cook, The Apple Watch is “the most personal device we’ve ever made, allowing users to do things they never imagined.”
--- Well, I think this is an unreliable source as no CEO would do anything else that sprinkle fairy dust over his product.

However, it is predicted that the wearable future is just around the corner and more immediate than we think. But then nobody (fully) predicted the collapse of Enron, the suicide of Kruger, or the Melt Down of 2008.

PWC also states in its report that fitness bands, smart watches and other wearable gadgets already established in the market, have under-delivered on expectations.

Statistics:
  • 20% of Americans in 2012 owned a tablet after just two years on the market
  • 40% of Americans own a tablet today
  • 21% of American adults already own a wearable device
  • 76% of consumers say they would NOT need their wearable device to replace an existing piece of technology in order to justify its purchase.
  • 46% of respondents say their company should fund the purchase of wearable tech
  • 52% of adults agree that automated facial recognition will replace the need to remember names

Sources:
http://www.pwc.com/en_US/us/technology/publications/assets/pwc-wearable-tech-design-oct-8th.pdf

Last edited:

aa610

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 5, 2015
Massachusetts
Here is Australia I've met 2 girls wearing casio digital watches. These were the old school type with shiny silver bands and two buttons on the side. I think people like that old watch look.

I only noticed them because I had the same watch in grammar school!

It's a pretty cool retro look actually.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
@rwiman ..awesome post!

Apple seems to get new products "right". No company does consumer products better than Apple. They literally take over the market with their revolutionary products and then other companies make variations of those products (ie: iphone, ipod, ipad)...each one of the products had been tried before Apple produced them (Microsoft had a tablet, the trio/blackberry, and various mp3 players) and nothing was on par to what Apple did to them and then other companies copied.

Apple has 34 different combinations of the watch. This is the right move. Some them are actually pretty stylish and wearable without looking ridiculous. http://mashable.com/2014/09/09/apple-watch-colors-models-wristbands/

I rarely wear watches but if I wanted to buy one I would have to at least look at the Apple Watch. I'm basically the perfect customer for Apple, I don't care to buy a $6,000+ fancy watch but would def spend the $550 to get the extra features it provides.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I probably will give this model a miss but 2nd Gen I will probably most definitely buy after they've fixed bugs new better add ons etc. (I know it will probably be next year but still would rather keep my money until then.)

I'm big on running and although FitBit's Surge and Charge HR did include a Heart Rate Monitor its not exactly that accurate nor great.

Now with this watch it does have dual sensors to measure your pulse but I still dont think it will be that good (but definitely better than Fitbit products) but they will soon click on that the market will be great for this once they can incorporate a Weight/Running/Rowing model that can track more accurately. Also Apple will be sneaky and invest loads into TV, Press etc to show that Heart Rates and movement tracking has alot to do with Health that is common sense. Therefore more sales for them then it will spread.

But really I've never owned a watch but these actually excite me. I personally cannot Justify paying 10k for a Rolex for bling for other than satisfaction on knowing you have a fancy watch. My friends like to Brag about owning them but its watch to me. But Apple watch with the Apps to be released will at least serve a purpose other than time.

Each to their own opinion but this is mine.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
The power of branding: Sold out >5 million watches on the first day of pre-orders.

Winning

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Mar 8, 2014
"A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them"
-The Great Steve Jobs

The Apple Watch will end up doing great imo for many reasons. Like many mentioned, there are many Apple fans that'll hype up the product and go out buying it like crazy. Developers will create unimaginable apps. The Apple Watch will get thinner, have better battery life and more functionality in the coming iterations. I think that in general health related tracking will become HUGE.

The first iPhone lacked function(no App Store for crying out loud), was pretty ugly, etc-- but look how far its come!

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
@MJ DeMarco ...I attended a business event this week and the CEO of CIBC said i quote :" we are preparing our technology department to be ready because we think, believe it or not, the smart watch will replace the phones in the next 5-10 years "

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I think they shoulda went with a pocket watch ;)
Digital watches are too tacky and typically not stylish

images

I just have a mini 10' laptop
And pencil and notepad, it works great

If they had a mini phone I'd buy it, IF it was stylish.
Cuz I hate carrying a big phone.

The apple watch isn't quite what I'd ever buy

kmaster268

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 11, 2015
Na...What it does is just shows notifications on wrist and some fitness information. It has an awful battery life(less than 20hours) just like moto 360 initial sale would be good but later it will fade away. By the way moto 360 looks much more elegant than apples watch. Product has more than 50% profit margin...no wonder they are going all ga ga and marketing the bitch out of it.
totally agree, moto 360 looks much more elegant than apples watch...

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I haven't had an apple product since ipod and a 3S phone, just found other phones provided equal or better value for me. currently samsung note3, love the screen size and digital s-pen and freehand notes/sketches etc.. But I have owned apple stock for quite awhile. They obviously have created a near cult like following so the watch will do well with core group that will buy everything and get on the annual upgrade cycle.

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
Whats the reason of having another copy of your mobile on your hand? It's just completely pointless. But, yeah, tech and Apple fanboys will buy just to have it.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
currently samsung note3, love the screen size and digital s-pen and freehand notes/sketches etc..

I love my Note 3 as well. Only apple products I have are a ipod shuffle for the gym, and a 3 year old macbook pro.

I could care less about the Apple Watch though. Apple showed up a bit late to that game; They've been dropping the ball over recent years.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Just another product that will end up in the bin with the XBOX Kinect. ALA not really a demand, watches, really? A game that makes you run around, literally, really?

Apple is going the way of Microsoft, meaning telling us what we need, not fulfilling a need like easy to use awesome MP3 players.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Apple is going the way of Microsoft, meaning telling us what we need, not fulfilling a need like easy to use awesome MP3 players.

Many of the most widely used technologies started off with few seeing a need.

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys."—Sir William Preece, chief engineer, British Post Office, 1876

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."—Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."—Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946

Juke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 23, 2019
United Kingdom
Personally, I think it's going to bomb. Can't see myself buying one... EVER.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out because as you know, my opinion doesn't matter, the market's opinion as a whole does.

What say you?

0910_apple-iwatch_2000x1125-1940x1091.jpg
Almost six years on and wearables like the Apple Watch seem to be going very strong.

What do you think now @MJ DeMarco ? Has your opinion changed at all?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What do you think now @MJ DeMarco ? Has your opinion changed at all?

I own a FitBit, not an Apple watch. And I only use the watch to monitor my sleep and heart-rate, don't get much use from it. Sometimes the watch is off for days on end.

Personally, my view hasn't changed but my opinion doesn't make the market. Clearly like market likes its tech gadgetry.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
This is a funny thread looking back.

I bought one when they first came out. I spend $750 on the damn thing because I wanted the higher-end one and it definitely wasn't worth the $750 I spent. (Note: there was a $300 version available - I just wanted stainless steel)

I feel really bad for someone who bought one of those $15,000 Edition Versions. Now things are much better. The Hermès Apple Watch is beautiful and reasonable priced ($1,300 isn't bad for a designer watch)

f6711ae81d3cef7c41a85c2749e01ed4.jpg

But regarding the normal Apple Watch Now that they cost like $250-400 I definitely think they're worth it. They do much more than a fitbit and aren't that much more expensive. I love that they track everything (including sleep, blood oxygen, ECG) and you can have nice spreadsheets of your whole life. I think I'm going to get an Apple Watch SE.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Got a fitbit for christmas, realized it was very useful and upgraded to an apple watch a week later.

Love it.

If I've got my hands full and get a call, I can see who's calling with just looking at my wrist.

If I'm skiing or golfing, I can talk to someone hands free (like calling someone who's on a different ski run saying to meetup at the bottom in a few minutes) without having to have any headset.

I can control the music playing in my house without carrying around my phone.

Tracks my workouts and heart rate. I can see an estimate of how many calories I've burned in a day so it's been amazing for that too.

I like working out and listening to music without carrying my phone around. I leave my phone in the car or even at home for most stuff now. I think that I actually am in front of a screen less because of it. The phone can sit on a table in another room now and if anyone needs to reach me they still can.

+ it tells time as well

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So i just bought another Apple Watch in the last few weeks and I love this thing.

I got the SE a couple weeks back (because I didn't want to spend much after my last experience) but after playing with the SE a bit I was so impressed I returned it and got the more expensive one with cellular and all the bells and whistles.

As I stated in my last post, I had the original and I wasn't impressed. But they have come a long way.

Also when I first got it I got the Stainless Steel version with milanese loop which was super uncomfortable for daily wear, and I kept taking it off. In retrospect I realize that's a big reason why it was so useless.

I mean I agree with pretty much all this:

Love it.

If I've got my hands full and get a call, I can see who's calling with just looking at my wrist.

If I'm skiing or golfing, I can talk to someone hands free (like calling someone who's on a different ski run saying to meetup at the bottom in a few minutes) without having to have any headset.

I can control the music playing in my house without carrying around my phone.

Tracks my workouts and heart rate. I can see an estimate of how many calories I've burned in a day so it's been amazing for that too.

I like working out and listening to music without carrying my phone around. I leave my phone in the car or even at home for most stuff now. I think that I actually am in front of a screen less because of it. The phone can sit on a table in another room now and if anyone needs to reach me they still can.

+ it tells time as well

You don't realize how much time you spend pulling out your phone. Email ding? pull it out. Text message? Pull it out. Text message was something stupid? Oh well.. you have no way of knowing that until it's too late. All that stuff really adds up. A major benefit of the Apple Watch is filtering what's important and what isn't. It also has features that are just plain cool. Like I can find the lowest price for gas on my freaking wrist.

1613112697155.png

I can trigger Home automations from anywhere.

You can use the Siri Shortcuts app to change the watch face based on what you're doing (different watchfaces are useful for different tasks.)

You can have a watchface that tracks your heartrate while you're at the gym, then have a minimal, classy watchface for when you're out to dinner. And again, you can automate it so it changes automatically.

I have mine set to change to a certain watch face when I leave home, one that tracks my time when I'm working, one that shows my reminders.

Oh yea.. and I get so much more shit done now too. Having your little reminders in the corner of your watch is priceless.

It has a little inhale/exhale meditation app that's amazing for stress

IMG_2243.PNG

Zo75MKx.gif

And it also tracks meditation

It's got this cool little nightstand mode that gradually turns up the brightness to simulate the sun rising.

When you're washing your hands it knows it via Artificial Intelligence and automatically puts on a timer for 20 seconds.

The first one I got I wasn't impressed, but these things have come a long way. Definitely think it's a must have.

I dunno... Apple just makes great products and this is no exception.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.