The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

BOOK Anything You Want by Derek Sivers

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Andy Black

Figuring it out as I go along!
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Anything You Want" by Derek Sivers

I have this book on Audible and it's excellent. 90 minutes long, and packed with wisdom.

One of Derek's quotes that springs to mind this week is about entrepreneurial persistence.

“Success comes from persistently improving and inventing,
not from persistently promoting what’s not working.”

Yes, Edison persisted with 1,000 failures until he created the light-bulb. But each of those 1,000 attempts were different. He was constantly improving and inventing, not trying 1,00 times to get the same faulty light-bulb to work.

Failure is just feedback.

Failure shows us the way by showing us what’s *not* the way.

I'll write up some more of my notes from this book later.

If anyone else has read or listened to Derek's book:
  • What did you think of the book?
  • What was your single biggest takeaway?
  • What did you do differently going forward?

Here's some links to the book (I highly recommend the audio version - it's narrated by Derek himself, and I think that's important):

Where Derek writes about his book:

The Book on Amazon:

The Audio on Audible:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
LOVED this book. And, I really like Derek Sivers.

Something about him and how he operates just resonates with the way I like to do business.

He just started helping people... and then some more... and then some more... and then as if by magic he had a 8 figure business on his hands. (Totally in line with your message Andy).

I also love the fact that he rejected outside money (to scale faster) because he realised his priorities by thinking from his customers perspective. The guy was literally trying to 'stay small' by limiting employees and rejecting outside investment - but the market demanded he grew.

A perfect example between pushing in business and pulling!

Business done right imo.

A totally wholesome, loveable guy.

p.s. His reading list/notes are gold: BOOKS | Derek Sivers

p.p.s. Anyone who wants to explore Derek be sure to check out his podcasts with Tim Ferriss - total gold.

(Yes, I am a raving fan)

Can't wait to see some more detailed thoughts from you Andy.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
@Andy Black - You best not be depriving us of your notes... ;) (been looking forward to seeing them)

Read about 50% of this book last night and the way he writes and mindset totally reminds me of your message Andy.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
"Anything you want" is an excellent one, big ideas explained in a simple way.

A key idea I liked about the book was the "Hell Yeah" mindset: if something does not ring as a "hell yeah" activity simply do not do it.

After listening to the book I just focused more on small ways to help others and go step by step.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black - You best not be depriving us of your notes... ;) (been looking forward to seeing them)

Read about 50% of this book last night and the way he writes and mindset totally reminds me of your message Andy.
On it. I've just ordered the book so I can read with a pencil.

"Anything you want" is an excellent one, big ideas explained in a simple way.

A key idea I liked about the book was the "Hell Yeah" mindset: if something does not ring as a "hell yeah" activity simply do not do it.

After listening to the book I just focused more on small ways to help others and go step by step.

Similar to "Hell Yeah, or No" is the other one I like of (from memory): "If it's not a hit, switch."

His analogy was of a musician releasing lots of songs. Most flop. Every now and then one is a hit.

Which brings me back to the quote from before: “Success comes from persistently improving and inventing, not from persistently promoting what’s not working.”

Why keep trying to push a boulder up a hill and *make* people buy your product? Isn't it easier to keep switching (improving/innovating/inventing) till what you've created is a hit? Till people buy it from you like a hot cake?

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
He reads and responds to all emails.

If you like his stuff, connect with him: Contact | Derek Sivers

He's about as chill as it gets.

My goodness... what a great video. I’m going to change how I praise my kids going forward. “Well done! You worked really hard!” versus “Well done! You’re so good at this!”

Raoul Duke

The Real World Champion
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 26, 2016
Has anyone here watched No Country for Old Men?

I mention the movie because... I can catch something new every time.

That is the same with Derek Sivers. Every time I listen to him. I come away with something new. @MJ DeMarco is like that for me as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Just had a personal highlight of the program so far - @GuitarManDan gave a one hour Zoom talk on...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
While this is a marketplace post marking the re-launch of my popular course “5-Steps to Create a...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Received, and I replied ;) Hope you will take out more protegesss soon ;)
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock