The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here ever get busted for sleeping in office space?

D

DeletedUser0287

Obviously, it’s a sick hack. Office space is significantly cheaper than regular rent and you get more. I have outgrown my home operation.

But the dreaded zoning laws. I work whenever I please like 6pm, 12am, 4am. You name it. But will a landlord see that if your car is here overnight, will they check if you are actually sleeping there? I plan on getting a makeshift hammock. I don’t want to do this if I have to constantly watch out for the landlord.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Obviously, it’s a sick hack. Office space is significantly cheaper than regular rent and you get more. I have outgrown my home operation.

But the dreaded zoning laws. I work whenever I please like 6pm, 12am, 4am. You name it. But will a landlord see that if your car is here overnight, will they check if you are actually sleeping there? I plan on getting a makeshift hammock. I don’t want to do this if I have to constantly watch out for the landlord.

I knew a guy that would sleep in the office. And yes the police would knock on his door is he wasn't out by the time posted on the door. He was working in a small used car dealer. He would park his car with the other cars but the police would see the lights on and that's how they knew he was in there.

The only way I can see you successfully sleeping in an office is by not driving there yourself. Also by having a room where the light is not visible from the outside.

D

DeletedUser0287

I knew a guy that would sleep in the office. And yes the police would knock on his door is he wasn't out by the time posted on the door. He was working in a small used car dealer. He would park his car with the other cars but the police would see the lights on and that's how they knew he was in there.

The only way I can see you successfully sleeping in an office is by not driving there yourself. Also by having a room where the light is not visible from the outside.

Most office spaces say 24hr access. They can't really stop me right?

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
What are you doing that you can't do from home, that you need office space?

If you're looking to reduce rent, why not get some roommates, or move into a cheaper place?

But honestly, we're talking a matter of saving what, like $500 bucks a month tops? Is that going to make or break your business, if you've "outgrown" your house?

The only reason I can see this being worth it is if you had a warehouse, and actually needed it for inventory or equipment. You can most definitely sleep in a warehouse. But I don't see renting office space, especially co working space, and sleeping in it, to be at all beneficial over just a normal room.

D

DeletedUser0287

What are you doing that you can't do from home, that you need office space?

If you're looking to reduce rent, why not get some roommates, or move into a cheaper place?

But honestly, we're talking a matter of saving what, like $500 bucks a month tops? Is that going to make or break your business, if you've "outgrown" your house?

The only reason I can see this being worth it is if you had a warehouse, and actually needed it for inventory or equipment. You can most definitely sleep in a warehouse. But I don't see renting office space, especially co working space, and sleeping in it, to be at all beneficial over just a normal room.

Lack of room for machinery mostly. It has gotten to the point where I have to essentially weave through everything in my house and suck in my waist. I’m a skinny guy now too.

Cheapest rent here consists of like a bedroom. Can’t move my machinery in there.

I don’t live near a city where all the cool mixed use housing is. So I am stuck with office space. Technically warehouse works too. I just heard they expensive to heat.

Not sure if roommates what to deal with my warehouse and machinery all over the house lol.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
What is stopping you from sleeping from like 4am- noon or 7am-3pm and then working? That way if someone came up at 11pm, you would be working.

D

DeletedUser0287

What is stopping you from sleeping from like 4am- noon or 7am-3pm and then working? That way if someone came up at 11pm, you would be working.

I still hold day job for safety net and benefit

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Oh, so the answer is easy. Don't do it until you are serious. Once you are serious.... then do it.

You will know when you are serious. It's a whole different feeling. Right now you might be working your way there but you aren't there yet. Stay put until the morning comes when you wake up and it all feels different. It's that gut feeling that you don't have yet. And there is nothing you can do to get it or speed it up..... it just happens because when the time is right.... it's right.

D

DeletedUser0287

Oh, so the answer is easy. Don't do it until you are serious. Once you are serious.... then do it.

You will know when you are serious. It's a whole different feeling. Right now you might be working your way there but you aren't there yet. Stay put until the morning comes when you wake up and it all feels different. It's that gut feeling that you don't have yet. And there is nothing you can do to get it or speed it up..... it just happens because when the time is right.... it's right.

The space is like super cheap, $200 month. Not including utilities though.

Edit oops: $800

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Most office spaces say 24hr access. They can't really stop me right?

Technically office spaces are not considered residential areas. You'll have to check with your local municipality. There's so much that goes into a residential area. You have fire codes for sleeping areas that your building may not be approved for. If someone rats you out that you're sleeping in the office the fire Marshall will investigate and come for you.

But before you even deal with any authority your land lord the person you're leasing the building from will come down on you hard. You sleeping in his building creates a liability for him. If anything happens to you, if you get hurt, pass out from unknown fumes, or died in the building his insurance won't cover him. I've heard of people sleeping in non residential areas dying from CO2 leaks when certain machinery get turned on at night.

D

DeletedUser0287

Do you sign a lease on the space?

Is it $200 or $800?

Well, found a space for $200 and a space for $800.

Just because I still hold day job doesn’t mean I’m not ready. I just made this thread about the sleeping in office issue.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
lol this is pure dedication, hope it works out for ya

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Well, found a space for $200 and a space for $800.

Just because I still hold day job doesn’t mean I’m not ready. I just made this thread about the sleeping in office issue.

If you sign a lease and they catch you, they could make you pay the entire lease if they kick you out. Hey, I'm all for it and I could do it if I needed to, I don't think you will have a problem as long as you don't get comfortable and start pushing the boundaries. Keep it on the DL and do what you gotta do until you can make it to where you need to be. I'm not good at following the rules myself, I sometimes walk the thin line so I'd be all over this. Just remember they have cameras and if they get suspicious, they might look back and see if your gate code lets you out every night. They can probably see when it lets you in and out..... if it has a gate.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I'd rather get a gym pass and sleep in my car than this. I've done this before for a few weeks at a time. Work out, shower at gym, go pass out in the car with the seat cranked down. It's actually not that terrible lmao

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
We have an air mattress in the warehouse office.

I've taken many naps during the day.

Employee crashed for a night during corona. Partner crashed a couple times getting drunk in the area and not wanting to drive home.

Look at your lease. If it's within your rights then do it.

I have no problem telling people that I nap during the day when I'm tired. I also have no problem saying "Yeah, we have a mattress in the office. Sometimes we work so hard that we never leave." Lol.

As I age and level up, you bet that there will be a sleeping area in my future offices. If someone asks why you're sleeping at work, tell them to mind their own business.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I'd rather get a gym pass and sleep in my car than this. I've done this before for a few weeks at a time. Work out, shower at gym, go pass out in the car with the seat cranked down. It's actually not that terrible lmao

I tried this in San Diego 5 years ago while I rented my place out on Air BnB and was Ubering too. I gave up after 3 days n just went to Rosarito, Mexico to ride out long periods of time when rented out.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I tried this in San Diego 5 years ago while I rented my place out on Air BnB and was Ubering too. I gave up after 3 days n just went to Rosarito, Mexico to ride out long periods of time when rented out.

This is off topic but I live in San Diego right now. Got any hacks/tricks for staying in TJ/Rosarito/Encinata for dirt cheap? Did you know people there? Do you have any experience renting a house or apartment there?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
This is off topic but I live in San Diego right now. Got any hacks/tricks for staying in TJ/Rosarito/Encinata for dirt cheap? Did you know people there? Do you have any experience renting a house or apartment there?

I'd just roll into TJ and Rosarito to a few 20 buck hotels I knew. Not sure how would work with Covid as pretty sketchy places. Ensenda I only went once and stayed in nice place. I did know some poker players and they rented places for like 500 to 1k a month, but they were decent.

D

DeletedUser0287

Well...I have actually done this too, below freezing temps. For like a month. It was pretty bad as all my time was trying to find a place to legally park without cops busting yah. Also when you sleep in your car, the moisture from your breath fogs up the windows. Clear sign someone is sleeping there, and cops will knock.
The saved money actually wasn't worth it as I spent most of my time finding a place to relax outside of my car.
Plus, how am I suppose to fit industrial machinery in a car?

At the end of it, had a bunch of piss jugs...

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
At the end of it, had a bunch of piss jugs...

Once I was pissing in a bottle shortly after waking up. I had one leg on my front drivers seat, and the other out the door on the ground. Had a nice little mount going. This lady walks by, walking her cat. Yes, her cat. She stares me directly in the eyes, says nothing.

Needless to say I found another spot to sleep the next night.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I literally catched two of our employees sleeping while they should've been working, had to prank them and tell my dad but apart from that nothing bad happened because my dad is just too nice and he had a good laugh.
Needless to say to when rough times approach they're the first ones we drop.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
That's a brilliant idea to solve a similar problem I have. You see sometimes I travel to other cities to do overnight jobs & it's not worth me getting a motel room so I just pull up at a truck stop & sleep for a few hours in the back of my delivery van. The big problem has always been getting a shower. I can go to the caravan park but $50 is an expensive shower & check in times are limited. A gym would be a lot cheaper & there's lots of 24hr gyms around. I'll have to check it out further. Thanks. BTW I'm enjoying your Youtube vids.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
That's a brilliant idea to solve a similar problem I have. You see sometimes I travel to other cities to do overnight jobs & it's not worth me getting a motel room so I just pull up at a truck stop & sleep for a few hours in the back of my delivery van. The big problem has always been getting a shower. I can go to the caravan park but $50 is an expensive shower & check in times are limited. A gym would be a lot cheaper & there's lots of 24hr gyms around. I'll have to check it out further. Thanks. BTW I'm enjoying your Youtube vids.

Thanks bro many more to come! We're slammed busy right now so had to put a break on YouTube but they'll be back hopefully within the next few weeks.

Also, you can just get a free 7 day trial at gyms. Or sneak into hotels and use the pool shower. Have a guest let you in. Otherwise truck stops usually have nice showers for like $10 bucks! If there's a will there's a way ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.