The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone have advice on design options

stepbystep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 24, 2017
Seattle
I've been having EDDM mailers designed, on Fiverr, for the past few months. The work I've been getting back has been hot or miss. Some designs are great while others, not so much.

In particular, what I've noticed is the lower the price, the higher the quality. The higher the price the lower the quality. And, the more difficult it is to get quality designs.

It seems the opposite of what you would expect. But many of the designs I get back, mostly for the higher priced jobs, I probably could have done myself.

My question is this: does anyone reccommend a design service other than fiverr?

Also, if I need a lot of design work done, would I just be better off buying design software, and taking a class on basic design?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Are you using the same designer, or picking a new one every time? Why don't you stick with one that works well for you?

Recommendation: go to the local college and talk to professors about an opportunity for their graphic design students.

Last edited:

stepbystep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 24, 2017
Seattle
Are you using the same designer, or picking a new one every time? Why don't you stick with one that works well for you?

For the most part, I've stuck with a few good designers that have done very good work. I just feel like I don't want to burn them out, and I wonder if other designers may have better designs. Maybe i'm just trying to have my cake and eat too. But, looking up local design students sounds like a really good idea.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
"Good" design is subjective. If someone says, "I'd like a design of such and such, and make it really good" that would be very difficult direction to follow.

Are you giving them more objective directions? Perhaps something like a "look book" where you have a variety of designs in the style you want, a color palette, tone (fantastical or realistic, wacky or subdued, humorous or serious, etc), line, depth, so on and so forth?

If you have given them all this stuff, and they still aren't delivering, you can go to them and say, "I established in my look book that I wanted the style to be realistic and colors to be earth tones; here you have bright red and something that looks like magic, what gives?

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I would definitely take a look at both Upwork.com and 99designs.com. The latter lets designers "bid" on your design job, and you can choose who you work with based on drafts they provide. You can also hold design contests and let others vote on the best design.

It's important to note though that just because someone is a great graphic designer - that doesn't mean they know how to design for sales and conversions. As I was telling someone else recently; "pretty" doesn't always convert. In other words, make sure that the designer(s) you choose demonstrate at least a minimum level of understanding when it comes to commercial use of the designs, and that you are not just looking for something that 'looks nice'. It has to work too. ;)

Jedwab

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Sep 19, 2017
UK
It seems the opposite of what you would expect. But many of the designs I get back, mostly for the higher priced jobs, I probably could have done myself.

My question is this: does anyone reccommend a design service other than fiverr?

Also, if I need a lot of design work done, would I just be better off buying design software, and taking a class on basic design?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Personally I would leave designers to do the designing unless you have lots of spare time of your hands and are quick learner otherwise your focus is being messed with. As a photographer I have seen many logos/flyers and brochures done by photographers themselves and you can spot them a mile off. They always look a bit amateur IMHO. Design services are not exactly expensive nowadays so if you translate the amount of time it will take you to learn a new skill vs putting that time into your into your business instead...usually makes sense to keep outsourcing. Upwork, Bechance are good places to look. Or if you really want to have a go yourself check out Creative Market in the first instance. There is a plethora of premade templates on there at very reasonable prices that look great, you just drop in your copy and images. They do everything from EDDM templates to product mocks ups as do Graphic River and Envato.

businessbaybee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Jul 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I would never recommend fiver for designers. The quality to me, just isn't there.

I'd try linkedin. You could probably search for freelance graphic designers on there and message them. Or try www.behance.net.

If you somewhat know what you are doing you can download and purchase inexpensive design elements at creative market and do it yourself.

stepbystep

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 24, 2017
Seattle
Personally I would leave designers to do the designing unless you have lots of spare time of your hands and are quick learner otherwise your focus is being messed with. As a photographer I have seen many logos/flyers and brochures done by photographers themselves and you can spot them a mile off. They always look a bit amateur IMHO. Design services are not exactly expensive nowadays so if you translate the amount of time it will take you to learn a new skill vs putting that time into your into your business instead...usually makes sense to keep outsourcing. Upwork, Bechance are good places to look. Or if you really want to have a go yourself check out Creative Market in the first instance. There is a plethora of premade templates on there at very reasonable prices that look great, you just drop in your copy and images. They do everything from EDDM templates to product mocks ups as do Graphic River and Envato.

Thank You for your feedback everyone. This is great advice.

D.Davis

Ingeninja
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 8, 2017
Texas
I would never recommend fiver for designers. The quality to me, just isn't there.

I'd try linkedin. You could probably search for freelance graphic designers on there and message them. Or try www.behance.net.

If you somewhat know what you are doing you can download and purchase inexpensive design elements at creative market and do it yourself.

+1 . I've become frustrated with the quality of work I've received from Fiverr. I like UpWork, just be VERY specific in your job post.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Use upwork to source quality workers. If they're good, add them on Skype. If not, look for a new one. That way you will build up a base of quality freelancers over the years. Whenever I have a need (e.g. design/code/whatever) I can just open Skype and message numerous freelancers instantly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.