The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anybody use (legal) mushrooms?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not talking about the illegal stuff (psilocybin) but the stuff you can buy in the stores...

Reishi, Lions Mane, Cordyceps...

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=mushroom+powder&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I've been taking a mix of the mushrooms daily and I can honestly say I feel a bit of a difference in terms of focus. Also, I had some age spots on my skin that literally fell off and disappeared, leaving new flawless skin.

Anyone also use mushrooms and have an experience to report? Of course, I'm not sure if the above is due to the mushrooms as the "evidence" is purely empirical and speculative.

Of course, if you have anything you want to say about psilocybin here, feel free to comment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Jun 25, 2019
Lion’s Mane makes me... different. Sharper, maybe more aggressive.

I like cordyceps before exercise better than creatine.

Pouchon19

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 24, 2020
Florida
I'm not talking about the illegal stuff (psilocybin) but the stuff you can buy in the stores...

Reishi, Lions Mane, Cordyceps...

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=mushroom+powder&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I've been taking a mix of the mushrooms daily and I can honestly say I feel a bit of a difference in terms of focus. Also, I had some age spots on my skin that literally fell off and disappeared, leaving new flawless skin.

Anyone also use mushrooms and have an experience to report? Of course, I'm not sure if the above is due to the mushrooms as the "evidence" is purely empirical and speculative.

Of course, if you have anything you want to say about psilocybin here, feel free to comment.
I hope that link was an affiliate link. I didn't know this product existed. I am interested in trying some if it helps with focus.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
I feel a bit of a difference in terms of focus. Also, I had some age spots on my skin that literally fell off and disappeared, leaving new flawless skin.

That's awesome!

Haven't used enough in the past to really attribute any findings to mushrooms.

I'll try a set standard of them and make notes of findings to add here later!

The geeky side of it, studies point to antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities... even more of a heavy hitter is finding ergothineine, an amino acid that our body doesn't naturally make is really high in mushrooms and can enter mitochondria (power house of cells) and give protection.

One note is it's likely best to boil, microwave for 30 sec, freeze, or cook raw mushrooms to reduce the levels of a toxin called Agaritine. Drying hasn't been shown to reduce the toxin levels.

Citing and more info in book "How Not to Die" or wikipedia.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sharper, maybe more aggressive.

Yes, I can report similar. Not really aggressive, but cantankerously witty -- so much so that it could be perceived as antagonistic instead of good natured humor.

I hope that link was an affiliate link. I didn't know this product existed. I am interested in trying some if it helps with focus.

Any links to Amazon posted to the forum automatically convert to affiliate links, so yes, it probably was an aff link (assuming the function is working).

Peal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 4, 2020
Western U.S.
I have been for a little more than two years now. I take Lion's Mane and Reishi in powder form, and try to eat Shitake or White mushrooms a few times a week. I think I've only been sick once and recovered quickly. Hard to say with any kind of certainty that it's because of the mushrooms, but I believe they help. And I guess by believing they help, that probably helps too. Have also noticed sharper mental clarity.

My Grandpa is in the early stages of Dementia, and I recommended he take Lion's Mane. He's been on it for about 6 months now and his mental state seems like it has at least stayed the same. He isn't taking any other supplements or medications.

Rogan's first interview with Paul Stamets turned me onto them. Mycelium and mushrooms are extremely fascinating. If you haven't listened to this yet, you won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqWstVnRjQ

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Yes, I can report similar. Not really aggressive, but cantankerously witty -- so much so that it could be perceived as antagonistic instead of good natured humor.
So for my wife's sake, I shouldn't even try this LOL.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Jun 25, 2019
So for my wife's sake, I shouldn't even try this LOL.
You'd probably be fine with it by itself as an experiment. I noticed a stronger effect the longer I took it and when combined with caffeine.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Yup. Big fan of them

I take Reishi almost everyday. Before bed time and when I feel really stressed. Works wonder with hot chocolate.

Lion's mane give me an ichy sensation on the scalp if I take too much. It helps with focus and makes me dreams a whole lot more vivid. It is nuts.

Aside from this I have a super mix of 8 different ones: reishi, shitake, agaricus, trametes, maitake, cordyceps, tremella and lions mane.

Chaga is one I want try, but never really did.

I do think they make a difference. I am sharper, rest better, sleep better, recuperate better when I take them constantly.

Am lucky to have a good friend of mine a lot into those things. She made me try a whole bunch of stuff like diatomaceous earth, spiriluna.

There is lot to gain in that area. A shame that it is not that popular.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
This is pretty interesting hearing about these different mushrooms in this thread.

For one, I've never heard of Lion's Mane. I looked it up and found it pretty interesting.

Has anyone had any actual cognitive improvements? Able to learn better, remember better, etc? There's a lot of people saying it's either Placebo or not so I can't really differentiate.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
I eat quite a lot of different mushrooms I find in the woods. I used to grow shiitake myself and currently grow oyster mushrooms on coffee grounds. I'm experimenting with different strains and get spores from wholesalers.

Generally, they are a great source of protein, although they are hard to digest. The vast variety of tastes makes an interesting hobby.

As mentioned in another thread, I use psilocybin mushrooms for mental health. Canada seems to be legalizing them for this purpose soon. The effects are similar to LSD (which I'm able to procure legally), but a lot of people mention that mushrooms have a higher body load. While those mushrooms grow everywhere around this season, you'd have to eat them right from the soil to not break any law (not that I care, because laws against drugs are stupid. I'm not saying drugs are great, I'm just saying the legislation is not very smart).

I can honestly say that they cured my depression. I noticed this effect the first time I took mushrooms (about 8 years back). For about two weeks after tripping, I just felt...easy. It was like the garbage collection went through my inner inventory and cleaned up. When all common medication failed, I took an uncommon approach. And I tripped every two weeks. Now, it is every few months.

There's a lot of research on this to be found at www.maps.org

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I take a lot of supplements and usually I limit it to things that the e amine website has vetted but in the case of mushrooms im in (mix of...I think 9 of them)

1.) The ones they sell as supplements have a vast history of culinary use so no long term surprise negative health implications from regular use are to be expected.

2.) The studies might be small , havent been repeated whatever (not rigorous I guess is rhe headline but stuff like this? Yeh im in

The benefits far outweigh the risks.

One thing I've found bothersome and this goes for lots of supplements is that the people selling them dont bother to titrate the dose according to the science.

For the mushrooms I mix it with juice and other powder supplements and chug it becaude its nasty but to get the rario right you kind of have to take the time to buy each type and make your own mushroom mix. Tedious. Also lazy on the part of the seller.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
There's a lot of people saying it's either Placebo or not so I can't really differentiate

With nootropics the only way you'll really ever know is to placebo control test yourself (which is daunting)

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa
Yup. Big fan of them

I take Reishi almost everyday. Before bed time and when I feel really stressed. Works wonder with hot chocolate.

Lion's mane give me an ichy sensation on the scalp if I take too much. It helps with focus and makes me dreams a whole lot more vivid. It is nuts.

Aside from this I have a super mix of 8 different ones: reishi, shitake, agaricus, trametes, maitake, cordyceps, tremella and lions mane.

Chaga is one I want try, but never really did.

I do think they make a difference. I am sharper, rest better, sleep better, recuperate better when I take them constantly.

Am lucky to have a good friend of mine a lot into those things. She made me try a whole bunch of stuff like diatomaceous earth, spiriluna.

There is lot to gain in that area. A shame that it is not that popular.
Interesting. I would like to try but where to purchase? As we age our focus does decline. I tried several products, some just makes me feel like I drank too much coffee! I predict the psilocybin version will become the next MMJ revolution.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here is the Stamets interview with Rogan that was posted above, quite fascinating, especially about the parts when he receives a premonition, his mother's cancer, his fixed stuttering problem ... lots to process in 2+ hours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqWstVnRjQ

Are you guys using capsules of mushroom powder, or eating mushrooms with your meals during the week?

I make my own Miso soup for lunch everyday...

I add mushrooms, soy sauce, green onions, and tofu ... then I add this miso mix...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KWBBHD/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

And then with my hydration routine, I mix in some Host Defense products (Stamet's company) -- I sip that all day.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Here is the Stamets interview with Rogan that was posted above, quite fascinating, especially about the parts when he receives a premonition, his mother's cancer, his fixed stuttering problem ... lots to process in 2+ hours.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqWstVnRjQ

I make my own Miso soup for lunch everyday...

I add mushrooms, soy sauce, green onions, and tofu ... then I add this miso mix...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KWBBHD/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

And then with my hydration routine, I mix in some Host Defense products (Stamet's company) -- I sip that all day.
thanks!

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Any links to Amazon posted to the forum automatically convert to affiliate links, so yes, it probably was an aff link (assuming the function is working).
Hell of an Entrepreneur, I study CS and AI and didn't even see it coming:moneybag:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Feb 7, 2015
Interesting timing, I listened to the Joe Rogan interview with Stamets and ordered some Lions Mane that day.

tonibob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 22, 2020
London
How safe are those powders? There are a lot of choices in UK, but I have never taken anything like it!

MπR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 30, 2019
Germany
Interesting. I would like to try but where to purchase? As we age our focus does decline. I tried several products, some just makes me feel like I drank too much coffee! I predict the psilocybin version will become the next MMJ revolution.

You can check out the shop of Paul Stamets company Fungi Perfecti

Fungi Perfecti

Also has an interesting blog.

El Dorito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 6, 2016
If mushrooms and deep trance Cosmic Master mind programming are combined, prepare to embrace something so profound that words can't do justice.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I love lion's mane. I started eating them years ago when I found out they increase neurotropic growth factors. Gotta stay ahead of entropy ;) There's a lion's mane extract powder by "Real Mushrooms" that I buy from Amazon... makes a good soup base, or hot broth when I decide I'm tired of coffee.

I also buy the dried lion's mane, wood ear, and a few other mushrooms at the Asian grocery stores. Lots of variety there. Some have biological effects if eaten enough, like increasing platelet production or improving insulin sensitivity. Most are delicious.

JacobBW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
I just bought a Garmin a week ago and have found that the nights that I have some reishi in a cup of tea I have more deep sleep minutes.
I’m not sure how accurate the Garmin is at tracking deep sleep, but I do feel more rested.

I’ve also had some lions mane with coffee before work and it did wonders for my productivity those days. Also a good combo for before the gym...

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Man mushrooms are so cool..

I tried a supplement a while ago that had a mushroom mix (Lion's mane, Reishi for sure) and I don't really remember the effects but looking back I did feel really sharp. At the time I was also taking Siberian Ginseng though which is also considered to aid cognitive function.

Daemonyos

Eudaimonia.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 3, 2020
Austria
I thought about writing a large post about nootropics in general, nootropic mushrooms being a large part.

The thing is that information on them is somewhat scarce and e.g. lions mane got some not so funny effects on testosterone production.
It's anti androgenic, blocking testosterone production to a certain extend.
Yet it's the only nootropic I know that regrows myelin, powerful stuff. So it is worth it.
But if you take black maca, boron and cordyceps sinensis with it you'll be good.
All three of them regulate male hormones. You want homeostasis.
Except for boron... it even improves testosterone production by downregulating globulin.

@MJ DeMarco
If you really want to feel like a god, take a look at NAD Therapies.
There are some docs like Koniver Wellness that do it combined with vitamin infusions.

But yeah, mushroom stacks are lit.
Your focus is spot on, energy levels too.
May want to add Ashgawandha to prevent to much excitation and/or anxiety.

And ah, you guys most probably don't even take enough of any of those mushrooms for the real effects.
Extracts are the way to go... still, combining 3g of cordyceps with 2g of lions mane and drinking this concoction is not so cool.
But combined with some MCT powder and ceylon cinnamon it tastes like "coffee".

Last edited:
G

Guest1413tpa

After seeing this thread, I want to look into it deeper. Any good recs for a strain that helps with focus?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Side note to this... that Lion's Mane extract fluoresces vivid yellow under 265 nm UV light. I set up a "fluorescent things shelf" in my office and that was one of the pleasant surprises from the many things I've experimented with so far.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.