The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any Tips for Balancing Sleeping Vs Process???

Anything related to matters of the mind

ImpactMillions

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Aug 2, 2013
I tend to have to sleep at least 8-9 hours (usually around 10pm-7am or so), and I just wanted to know if anyone would like to share some experiences or tips on how to balance sleep while being an entrepreneur? I try to squeeze in naps, but I usually can only get 15 min at most subtle breaks. I'm trying to get up early, so maybe I have to bed very early (but I'm usually up responding to emails, etc).

Just wanted to hear you all thoughts and ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
You sleeping routine isn't all that bad, and since you're already waking up around 7 and sleeping around 9 hours, I'd say you should try to wake up around 5-6 am.

One reason that I'd recommend you do this is because you'd be better focused early morning, even though it looks like 2 hours, sometimes when I do wake up around 5ish in the morning, that's when I feel the most productive as well as most motivated to work.

Sleep around 8 hours maximum mate, I used to sleep 12 hours every night( horrible, I know) but since last year I started sleeping 7-8 hours. Believe me, I think 8 hours is the maximum you should sleep, even on weekends.

To balance the routine of working on a business and getting enough sleep, this will do wonders since you feel totally focused around 5, where as around 7 life gets busy, things need to be taken care of, and if you have a job then you'd have to go to work around then.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So whats your question here?

If you want to work more, sleep less.

Why do you need naps if you already get 8-9 hours of sleep?

I have a hard time getting more than 6-7 hours of sleep, despite wanting to sleep more for fitness/workout regeneration reasons. I try to sleep at 10pm and get up at 5am, but most nights I wake up on my own at 3:30am, which gives me only 5.5 hours of sleep but I'm wide awake. Currently trying to figure out if my body is telling me that 5.5 hours a night is enough for me, despite working out heavy every day.

ImpactMillions

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Aug 2, 2013
It wasn't really a question, but more of I just wanted to hear any tips, or how others are working on a business and getting enough sleep like beatgoezon mentioned. Thanks for to tip to beatgoeszon, I may have to try to wake up around 5am and see if I can manage to sleep 8 hrs max.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I tend to have to sleep at least 8-9 hours (usually around 10pm-7am or so), and I just wanted to know if anyone would like to share some experiences or tips on how to balance sleep while being an entrepreneur? I try to squeeze in naps, but I usually can only get 15 min at most subtle breaks. I'm trying to get up early, so maybe I have to bed very early (but I'm usually up responding to emails, etc).

Start drinking coffee as soon as you wake up, your sleep hours will begin to diminish, I think 8-9 is a bit much although you are well rested. I sleep 6 hours a night, with a 30 min nap if I absolutely need one during the day.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
have to sleep at least 8-9 hours

I try to squeeze in naps,

Start working out and eating better, would be my suggestion. You sound like you have a serious lethargy problem.

At 9 hours you are getting more sleep than most people, and on the high end of the recommended amount for maximum rest. And then you are throwing in naps on top of that. And you still feel it's not enough?

Workout, start eating healthier, go outside daily to get your Vit D fix, and look into 10 minute meditation sessions if required (check out Meditation | Mindfulness | Guided Meditation | Stress Management | Andy Puddicombe | Headspace)

If I had to put money on the issue I'd say it's not that you don't get enough sleep, it's that your body and/or mind is in disrepair and you feel unnaturally tired all the time.

Charles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 7, 2013
I must admit when I first read the thread I thought, hey here's someone who is having a problem sleeping. OMG your sleeping way to much, if you start getting less than 4 hours a night you have to change something. In the past I have had problems sleeping as I could not switch off. I decided to do something when I was getting 12 hours sleep a week!! Relaxation techniques, self hypnosis and its sorted I sleep on average 6 hrs a night. Sometimes more sometimes less, but there is one golden rule no more than 8 hours it makes you lathargic!!

Your sleep pattern doesn't tell me if you a early bird or a night owl. Try the early bird as most people are not up and about and you get so much more done.

Look into 'power naps' they are big in Japan and I love them; its like a reboot for your brain. And if you want to 'push' your hours you can get up at 5am have a power nap around 2pm then work through to 1am. This is only sustainable if you have a couple of 'good night sleeps' in the week as a top up.

But hey, you guys are in your twenties........sleep who needs it:p

ImpactMillions

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Aug 2, 2013
I appreciate everyone's advice. Yeah, It looks like some mediation, and bit more exercise can improve my health.

Lombardo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 30, 2013
Indiana
You're not excited enough. What do I mean by that? Think about this, when you were a kid and it was Christmas Eve, could you fall asleep? Most of us will answer no. Were you tired the next morning? Hell No! You were too excited! Some fat man just gave you gifts.

Do you have goals written down? I'm not talking about a few bullet points that say something like: 1. Become a millionaire 2. Buy a Lambo

I'm talking about specific goals that when you read them you start to get a rush of excitement that would awake you from a coma!

Being an entrepreneur isn't always fun. We all get caught up in the grind sometimes and it can suck the energy out of you. Are there times I'd rather be napping than working my a$$ off? Yes. That is because I am only thinking about what I want now, in that present moment. But, I always remember WHY I am working my a$$ off. And that is to reach those crazy goals and dreams of mine. And when I read my goals and focus on the vision, that nap now sounds like a waste of time.

I am not saying don't sleep or ever take naps. If you truly need one, then take one.

But when you create a big enough WHY? for your goals, napping is not much of a thought anymore.

Create goals that excite you to the point you get that rush in your body. That feeling you know you will reach your goals and you are only getting closer to them.

If you read your goals now and they don't give you that feeling, I would highly suggest you spend some serious time on creating goals that do.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't buy the whole "I only sleep 2 hours a night because I'm pounding away at my business" bullshit. We have all had late nights, but what the F*ck could you possibly get done during those hours every night?

I usually go to bed around 12 and get up around 7. It works good for me. Strange thing is that it is way too easy to accidentally sleep until 1 when you can...

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
I usually go to bed around 12 and get up around 7. It works good for me. Strange thing is that it is way too easy to accidentally sleep until 1 when you can...
I always do that lol

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't buy the whole "I only sleep 2 hours a night because I'm pounding away at my business" bullshit.

Nobody realistically survives on 2 hours of sleep. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE. You'll have a high fever within 5 days.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.