The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any Diehard Android Fans Ever Switch To Apple?

DURABLEOILCOM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 25, 2012
Any diehard Android Fans ever switch to Apple iPhone? What are the Pros and Cons of Android and Apple? If you did switch from Android to Apple did you regret the decision? What do you like about each platform? The main reason I could see for switching is the quality of pictures. Which features make or break your choice? Which System is more Secure and Offers More Privacy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I tried (as a diehard Apple fan) to switch to Android, because I really wanted to integrate the Google phone into the rest of my entire Google life. Unfortunately, three years ago, the Android platform and even the Google UI was so inferior to Apple that I switched back.

Apple is just intuitive, and the fact that 100% of the apps are vetted and work was critical at the time. Android seems to be better for tech geeks (and cheaper). Apple UI is predictable. Apple is going to have to give me a reason to switch to ever try it again.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I was a die hard android fan in 2010 or so (was following the project before Google took it over, too).

I switched in 2012 over to Apple and enjoyed it a lot more as a Mac user, and never switched back.

Been thinking of going back to Android but the Apple ecosystem is just so nice:happy:

Also, Android is shit for privacy, which really turns me off.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I switched the opposite way, from Apple to Android. Went from an iPhone 6+ to a Samsung Note 8, which I still have.

At the end of the day, they're all phones. Each has their positives and negatives. On Android, I had a friend of mine set up my phone for me. He configured it with Nova launcher, Gboard, and a few other must haves. It is very intuitive and works really well. If I didn't have that friend, though, I would probably not have had as good a time with it.

For me, Apple did some really annoying stuff. Forcing me to use iTunes to manage my phone is awful. iTunes drives me nuts. The whole thing with 'if iTunes doesn't like your phone for some reason, it will simply not show up in the list of available devices' is infuriating. What am I supposed to Google? "iPhone doesn't show up in iTunes" brings up a list of very unhelpful things to try, including some command line options. Oh, and backing up a phone to my Mac laptop - I had a 64GB phone backing up to my 256GB MBP, with no way to change the backup drive except by doing things on the command line. Seriously? And then, all my photos get stored in a database on my Mac, not the file system. Ever tried backing up a database?

And on.

I'd say that if you do everything the way Apple wants you to, you're fine. Stray much outside the reservation, though, and you get zapped. If something doesn't work right, best of luck.

I went back to Windows, switched to Android, and am just as annoyed as when I had my Mac and iPhone.

Maybe I'm just a grouchy tech user.

Edit: there are a few things that iOS and OSX do that are beyond brilliant. Those brought me great joy. Until I wanted to do something that wasn't in the approved list of activities. (copy pictures from one place to another, etc)

Last edited:

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
The people who would consider themselves diehard Android fans would almost exclusively do so based on things that Apple brand culture will never adopt/are vehemently against - the potential of crossover is miniscule.

On the other hand, for the avg consumer not interested in more advanced manipulation like flashing new images or rooting etc the list of reasons not to go with Apple's customer centric brand, the seamless integrations, incredible support and flawlessly idiot proof UI is steadily eroding.

Realistically, there are only a handful of Android manufacturers at best who can produce comparable units at the flagship or even midrange market. Outside of Samsung, Motorola has been hit or miss with their rotations, Google has had some success in the midrange segment but is prone to making very strange pivots not always well received by consumers - particularly when it comes to hardware, LG has made some very high quality phone's but they are diamonds in the rough as they have been horribly inconsistent.

The only thing they have in common is precisely where Apple shines the brightest - customer retention and loyalty. I sincerely doubt there are many people who will only ever buy LG or Motorola phone's - there is a lot of flip flopping between them and no real staying power.

It's highly doubtful that any of the major Chinese companies will ever get a large market share in the US/North America simply due to the very real concern of spyware and other security risks - which is unfortunate because both Huawei and OnePlus have produced some of the best quality phone's in the past few years.

Apple is going to continue sapping away customers, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the top 5 manufacturers ends up winding down or selling their mobile division -

I have a feeling it will be Google, but who knows how long Lenovo and LG will keep hemmorhaging cash to keep the the division going. LG loses 100s of millions each year and Lenovo itself has shown yearly losses due to the poor performance of Lenovo.

In a few years we might very well see Apple/Samsung being the only relevant brands.

Greg S.

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 26, 2020
When my former employer switched off the Blackberry, we were given the option to go iOS or Android. Since I was already proficient in Android (had the first Motorola Droid!), I figured it was a good opportunity to learn a new platform.
Granted it was an iPhone 4S, but I couldn't stand it. I really went in with an open mind, but it was probably tainted with missing the ease of email/text communications vs. The Blackberry. The iPhone seemed like a toy and I couldn't get used to not being able to muktitask among open apps. I know things have changed with iOS (and certainly the cameras) , but I never bought into the Apple ecosystem after the iTunes wackiness.
So when that job was done, I was done with the iPhone. Never regretted that. But glad I stayed open to the experience to try it before buying it. Perhaps in the future I'll decide the Apple ecosystem is actually worth their margins.

Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I've always used Android and lately I have been thinking about going to Apple just to see the "ecosytem" everyone is talking about but than I remember how shit Apple is as a company. Good luck finding a place that will fix your phone that's not the apple store. Also they never fix anything. They'll just tell you, youre phone is unfix-able so you can buy a new one. Apple is completely against the right to repair. But the major draw back that I have with Apple products is that you need their software to access the phone. With Android I can plug it in in any old windows computer and it'll work like a USB memory stick. I can see all the files I have and do more with it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XneTBhRPYk

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Soon they will be way more equal and it won't really matter which one you have. Maybe Corona has slowed it down but it is coming.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Apple is wife material. The girl you bring home to meet your parents.

Android is the girl on the side.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
I’ve bounced back and forth between Android and Apple, having been with Apple for ~4 years straight now.

I enjoy the iPhone’s simplicity, as well as its immunity to privacy flaws that are inherent to Android phones.

Alleghenyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Nov 18, 2019
I was an Android fan for years because Motorola made cheap devices that seemed competitive, until one too many bad OS updates made my phone run really poorly and crash. And it wasn’t the processor speed or memory that was lacking, it worked just fine with certain tasks like internet and social media. I was always skeptical of third party apps for security and privacy reasons so the open ecosystem of Android wasn’t that important to me.

I switched to Apple because I wanted a device that would work for 4-5 years notwithstanding updated OS and so far I’ve been quite happy. Better UI and camera certainly help.

FBA-N-SEO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 16, 2020
New York -- New York
I have a love hate relationship w/ technology. Technology can be such a time drag.

I love Apple phones from a productivity standpoint. It's kind of hard to describe... but they do a better job at the basics. Texting, Calling, etc. For that reason, I tend to use them only for those things.

s.wirat13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 6, 2019
Thailand
I have own both for so many years. Xiaomi phone and iPad. They both have their good sides. I don't see the reason Why fanboys go against each other’s all the time when tech is meant to be used, not argued for. What I like about apple (especially iPad mini 5) is its solid performance from its price. Pair it with Apple Pencil and it become my ultimate biz tool. I like the quality of exclusive app in the App Store. But iTunes is a headache. For the phone, I prefer Android. It is way cheaper than iPhone but still more than enough for the task as a phone. You have to tinker around a bit and it will performs well for years. Easier access and more customizable. As I say, both have pro and cons, you only have to choose it depends on your goal.

Dylan42

Big D
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 3, 2016
Houston, TX
I just recently made the switch last year. Have always been an Android guy. The 11 came out so I decided to give it a shot. And to be honest I am not a fan of apple or the 11. Android just gave me all the freedom I wanted and didn't restrict any usage I may want to do. It's all a preference and what you want to do with your phone. Apple just isn't for me.

Apple really just seems to be the "hip", "stylish" thing younger generations want because they see everyone else has it without really having any knowledge about either.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I’ve bounced back and forth between Android and Apple, having been with Apple for ~4 years straight now.

I enjoy the iPhone’s simplicity, as well as its immunity to privacy flaws that are inherent to Android phones.

Same... But I just bounced back again and got a Galaxy S20 Ultra 5g... Makes my iPhone 11 look like a relic. The 11 is a really good phone too.

I don't keep phones very long.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Same... But I just bounced back again and got a Galaxy S20 Ultra 5g... Makes my iPhone 11 look like a relic. The 11 is a really good phone too.

I don't keep phones very long.
Samsung’s hardware is always appealing and impressive.

If it wasn’t for my distrust in Android I probably would have had a few Samsung phones by now.

My main complaint with Apple is that they’ve become complacent in the past 5 or so years just because ‘Apple.’ They have a super dedicated customer base, which they have let hurt their innovation. Competition usually breeds massive innovation, but Apple seems to just rely on user loyalty.

Stupidity didn’t make them the first trillion dollar company, so I suspect this trend will change. But who knows, complacency is a killer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.