The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another New Guy from Italy

Giorgio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 13, 2014
Northern Italy
Hello! First things, first. I use a VPN, so my IP varies, but usually shows in NW USA.

That said, I am a 41 year old American living in northern Italy, near Milan. My wife is Italian. We lived in the USA, not too far from MJ's neck of the woods, in fact. Even used to do some business in 'the valley of the Sun'.

So, a mini bio, huh? OK, here goes...

Got my degree in Aviation Science, specifically as a commercial pilot. After a couple of years, I realized that I was a glorified bus driver that would be subject to many issues beyond my control. Further, it would always be a wage slave position, albeit a decently paid one.

After that, I dabbled (read that as f---ed around) while travelling and living in different places and met my wife. Tried a variety of things and then started a couple of small businesses that were successful enough that we were able to lay aside some money. Sure, we had many of the books, tapes and videos by the various gurus and motivators. And no doubt, they did help, but I knew the answer was not trading time for money.

With some help from a mentor, I began working in commercial real estate. It was slow lane, but with the promise of an upcoming exit onto the fast lane. First, learning land and property acquisitions and then project management before merging into commercial real estate speculation. My wife and I were finally in the fast lane!

A few years later, we crashed spectacularly: the Commercial Real Estate bubble popped soon after the residential one. And Arizona was one of the ground zeros! 80% of our assets were tied up as equity in office development projects. (To paraphrase a line from the film The Usual Suspects, "...and poof, it was gone..."). Our remaining assets were split between our savings, our house and a tiny flat in Italy. Luckily we had no consumer debt, aside from a small loan on the house.

After 8 months, as soon as the house sold, we sold our car, stored some of our possessions and moved to Italy where we live in a small 1 bedroom apartment and drive a tiny Renault car. They had been hers and, thank God, we paid them off when we were eliminating consumer debt. For the past year and a half we have been "licking our wounds" and figuring out what next.

My wife is a PhD in languages and works as a middle school language teacher. I have done English tutoring with a nibble of import/export while trying to find a financial "vehicle" that will get us out of this rest area and back on the fast road.

We took a huge hit financially yet are grateful that we were luckier than so many. We kept our good credit and have no debt. But we live on a pittance. In our efforts to learn and rebuild we came across MJ's book. Never before had I heard anyone say so concisely, yet thoroughly what he did.

My wife and I have pulled back onto the fast lane on ramp. We are not up to speed, by any stretch, but we are no longer broken down beside the road! So I joined the forum, hoping to interact with other like minded people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...