The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon publishing...Tax for non-US citizens?

Taxes and regulation

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Hello publishers!

I got a quick question, when I tried to sign up for amazon's self-publishing service, I keep getting that I would supposedly have to pay 30% US taxes.

Is this a standard for NON-US publishers?
Is there a way around it? (I'm not a US citizen, nor living in the US)

If so please let me know, can't find anything about this in amazon's F.A.Q.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi Durete,

This rate is standard for non-us publishers; however, some countries have tax treaties with the U.S. which allows you to pay the rate specified by the treaty instead of the 30% rate. You will need to check with the agency that handles your country's taxes to find out if one exists. Then you will need to search Amazon.com to follow their procedure for submitting the appropriate documentation to them. Once you have submitted the appropriate documents, then Amazon will pay you at your country's tax rate instead of the U.S. rate.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Thank you, I should be able to get a 15% tax rate.

Never imagined that there would be a tax other than general income tax on selling online books through kindle.
(seeing that I sell on my site against 0% tax.)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Never imagined that there would be a tax other than general income tax on selling online books through kindle.
(seeing that I sell on my site against 0% tax.)

Different laws for different countries. In the UK a printed book attracts no sales tax at all while the exact same book in digital format attracts 20% sales tax even though Amazon only pay 3% themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Heh, to get the 15% discount on taxes on amazon you need to request a TIN.
For me that is impossible as I do not have a permanent place of living. (Yup, I'm homeless, I live on a ship)
Guess I'm stuck with the 30% tax rate :(

(Reason I sell things against 0% tax on my website is that I'm not a resident of any country, no permanent living place...So I literally fall under no tax-juristiction...)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.